• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Maintenance When installing a lift on a 3rd gen

shoupe00

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
At what hight is it needed to do the needle bearing delete for the ECGS?

Can vary per vehicle. And some trucks don't seem to need it but others do. I lifted about 2.5-2.75" and had the ECGS thrown in to be safe.

Upvote 0
I had them do the diff drop when they did the gears. 2.5" lift and the axles are barely angled. No issues with the bearings.

Upvote 0
It’s a hit or miss. More of an insurance to do it. We’ve had stock trucks come in with the vibration. The soonest was a 2019 4Runner with 700 miles on the clock and we did a ECGS bushing.

I normally tell customers to do it while the suspension is ripped apart since it’s easier and saves time and money, but not every truck will get the vibration, some get it worse

Upvote 0
It’s a hit or miss. More of an insurance to do it. We’ve had stock trucks come in with the vibration. The soonest was a 2019 4Runner with 700 miles on the clock and we did a ECGS bushing.

I normally tell customers to do it while the suspension is ripped apart since it’s easier and saves time and money, but not every truck will get the vibration, some get it worse
Sounds like it doesn't have anything to do with the lift. The diff drop is to save the axles.

Upvote 0
I would do the bushing as preventative. If a needle goes in, it can do more damage and you probably will have to pay for repairs. They'll try to blame your lift and they can on that one. Differential drop usually does more harm than good on lower lifts. Mostly 3" of actual lift + and like others have said varies on vehicle. Sometimes can be remedies by rare shims. Start with the basics and go from there.

ECGS Bushing
Carrier Bearing Drop
Maybe Sway Bar Relocation

Upvote 0
How high did you go and how much lift was it after it settled? Did you do the diff drop at the same time as the lift or was it to remedy issues?
I got an Ironman Foam Cell lift, it’s a 1-3” lift, I ended up with 3.5” in front, coil overs set in the middle and 4.5” in the back. I did the lift at 19k miles and before I did, the rear would sag with 500lbs in the back.
When we did the lift, we did the EGGS bearing and Toytec diff drop, so much easier to do at that time. I really like the suspension, just did the Pony Express route and the ride was great. One day I picked up a bunch of pavers, had about 1500lbs in the back and it lower the back about an inch. I got the heavier rear springs and had to remove one, because of the ride and the stand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I got an Ironman Foam Cell lift, it’s a 1-3” lift, I ended up with 3.5” in front, coil overs set in the middle and 4.5” in the back. I did the lift at 19k miles and before I did, the rear would sag with 500lbs in the back.
When we did the lift, we did the EGGS bearing and Toytec diff drop, so much easier to do at that time. I really like the suspension, just did the Pony Express route and the ride was great. One day I picked up a bunch of pavers, had about 1500lbs in the back and it lower the back about an inch. I got the heavier rear springs and had to remove one, because of the ride and the stand.
What's Pony Express?

Upvote 0
Did you buy the removal tool?
Yea I got the whole package. Bearing, seals, and both tools. I talked to ecgs directly and I'm glad I did. I just figured that a mechanic would have the necessary tools to do the job, but ecgs said no, these are custom tools specifically for this job. I ordered everything on Thursday Oct 21. Got the tracking info saying it will be here on the following Monday. I have an appointment on the following Wed. so the shop can have a look first to assess. So the total bill for the parts, tools, and express shipping from ecgs to Kingston Ontario was $263cdn + another $38 in taxes and duty via FedEx so $301cdn total. If this fixes the vibration I will be very happy, and for me this will be money well spent.

Cheers
[NjB]

Upvote 0
I get it. I know a lot of shops have run into this. They just end up fabricating their own and throwing some hardware together. Save a chunk on the tool. Since it's a one time use thing, I know there's even passarounds going on where you can borrow it and just send it off to the next person. I guess my logic is if a shop hasn't done one or made one already, I wouldn't go to them even if it's a simple task. You pay for the labor and that goes towards their tools. You should get a reduced shop rate. :)

bearing removal tool.jpg

Now you got me wondering if I could source out the parts and sell a removal tool at half the price for bulk sale.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yea I completely understand what your saying. This is all a learning experience for me. I'm barely 6 weeks into owning this Tacoma with no prior experience, so its trial by fire. I phoned 11 different shops, a lot of them just didn't do this type of work, none of them ever worked on lifted trucks, and the ones that bothered me the most were the ones that said something like..."No...never done that before, but I'm sure we could figure it out" = Red flag.
The last shop I called had not worked on a Tacoma specifically, but had near daily experience with 4x4 lifted trucks, so these are the guys I'm going to see.
Unlike the other shops this shop asked to see the truck first, the others just wanted start to the work. For me, buying the tools gives me a bit of control and peace of mind guaranteeing that the mechanic has the right tools & parts from the beginning, but it isn't something I will always do. Right now, every time I drive I cringe when I hear the vibration so I want this fixed yesterday. Giving the shop the parts and lending the tools just expedites this. On the other hand, I reserve the right to be totally wrong on everything... so there always that. ;)

Cheers
[NjB]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yea I completely understand what your saying. This is all a learning experience for me. I'm barely 6 weeks into owning this Tacoma with no prior experience, so its trial by fire. I phoned 11 different shops, a lot of them just didn't do this type of work, none of them ever worked on lifted trucks, and the ones that bothered me the most were the ones that said something like..."No...never done that before, but I'm sure we could figure it out" = Red flag.
The last shop I called had not worked on a Tacoma specifically, but had near daily experience with 4x4 lifted trucks, so these are the guys I'm going to see.
Unlike the other shops this shop asked to see the truck first, the others just wanted start to the work. For me, buying the tools gives me a bit of control and peace of mind guaranteeing that the mechanic has the right tools & parts from the beginning, but it isn't something I will always do. Right now, every time I drive I cringe when I hear the vibration so I want this fixed yesterday. Giving the shop the parts and lending the tools just expedites this. On the other hand, I reserve the right to be totally wrong on everything... so there always that. ;)

Cheers
[NjB]
Have a Toyota dealer near you? I'd go that route.

Upvote 0
What's Pony Express?
We did the Pony Express trail across most of Utah & Nevada

Upvote 0
We did the Pony Express trail across most of Utah & Nevada
Haha. I thought it was some kind of secret install method.

Upvote 0
The answer is a 2/1" lift. That's why Toyota can give you a warranty with their OEM TRD lift.....

Although,........ I've seen dealerships with 3/2" spacer lifts. Just not sure what warranty they give it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The answer is a 2/1" lift. That's why Toyota can give you a warranty with their OEM TRD lift.....

Although,........ I've seen dealerships with 3/2" spacer lifts. Just not sure what warranty they give it.
Pretty sure it's the same if they install it. The labor/work is the same warranty or covered by the extended.

For the item itself, it would carry the manufacturer warranty.

Upvote 0
Back