• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

What Would You Do?

What Would You Do?

• Keep the TRD wheels, get a new set for trailer, and paint them all black

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Who does this?! Gen2 shoes FTW!

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Ditch them all and get [insert wheel choice] for the truck and trailer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SeniorTaco

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Manual
White
Ok, so in my original Gen2 truck/trailer setup, I snagged a set of four wheels for the trailer to match the OEM ones I had on my Gen2.

Fast forward and now that I've cross-graded to my Gen3, I've been toying with the idea of matching the trailer wheels to what I'm currently running on my Gen3 or, in a radical twist, ditching my Gen3 wheels and getting a set of Gen2s to match my trailer (which will be restored to its original super white color to match the truck). And regardless, they're going to be painted or plastidipped matte black.

The goal here is spend as little money as possible and focus my precious resources on other upgrades while also being original in my build.

Attachments

• IMG_4098.jpeg
    IMG_4098.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
How hard are you going to wheel? If you plan on taking the trailer off-road save the money. They are going to get trashed anyway.

How hard are you going to wheel? If you plan on taking the trailer off-road save the money. They are going to get trashed anyway.
Around here (unless I go over to the Ozarks) it's mainly mudding and I'm not looking at doing super technical stuff. My whole rig is mainly overlanding focused and while the trailer will go off road, right now it won't be crawling that crazy stuff.

Around here (unless I go over to the Ozarks) it's mainly mudding and I'm not looking at doing super technical stuff. My whole rig is mainly overlanding focused and while the trailer will go off road, right now it won't be crawling that crazy stuff.
Where do you live? Ozarks is my neck of the woods. I'm in SW Mo.

My vote would try to find a pair of Off Road wheels so it all matches.

I should flesh out my thinking process and logic on the why I'm looking at doing this, and how I want to make the money work.

In my old set up I had 8 total matching wheels with the intent of having all 8 on the same tire. I had BFG KO2s on my truck (they were awesome tires for me) and will put those back on my Gen3, plus on the trailer and the two spares (a spare for the truck and spare for the trailer). Originally, I only had those tires on my truck with the intent of running the junk tires that came on the trailer wheels to the point of no return before putting KO2s on them. Now they're at the point of no return.

So, that's an easy $2k for 8 tires around here.

Matching wheels on the trailer to the truck means adding a set of four matching TRD wheels. That's about a $600-800 deal from what I can see doing the craigslist/fb marketplace shopping.

So, running total: $2,800 on the top end for tires and wheels.

But! I can get a set of matching Gen2 wheels for $200-$300 and I can sell the TRD wheels for that same $800ish price.

That nets me $500 and lowers my running total $2,300.

Plus, there's the originality factor because I haven't see anyone run Gen2 wheels on a Gen3 (because why?) and so, why not be the first.

(I realize I pretty much outlined what will probably happen but I appreciate the comments and votes nonetheless.)

Um? You may want to up-grade your trailer wheels to the 3-gen rims….Why? Because you have a 3gen truck…you do not want to make your truck look like a 2nd gen truck…?

Often I see on Craigslist Tacoma 3gen rims on sale all the time….many have the factory tires with very low mileage

Want to look like a 2nd gen truck or a 3gen truck?
Aloha

I run after markets in the summer and a set of OEM steelies in the winter with the same tire size. The trailer has the same size tire as the truck but I just bought black steel after market wheels for it. They were cheaper, 80 bucks each I believe, and can be run on the truck as well if needed. You can knock your cost down if you go steel. But if you're trying to keep it all the same itll cost you

I run after markets in the summer and a set of OEM steelies in the winter with the same tire size. The trailer has the same size tire as the truck but I just bought black steel after market wheels for it. They were cheaper, 80 bucks each I believe, and can be run on the truck as well if needed. You can knock your cost down if you go steel. But if you're trying to keep it all the same itll cost you
Facts.
Um? You may want to up-grade your trailer wheels to the 3-gen rims….Why? Because you have a 3gen truck…you do not want to make your truck look like a 2nd gen truck…?

Often I see on Craigslist Tacoma 3gen rims on sale all the time….many have the factory tires with very low mileage

Want to look like a 2nd gen truck or a 3gen truck?
Aloha
Makes sense and I could end up seeing myself go that way too. Thanks for the comment.

My vote is steelies. That's what I would do. They will probably get narfed up anyways. Why pay more?

My vote is steelies. That's what I would do. They will probably get narfed up anyways. Why pay more?
Good point.

In this morning's scavenger hunt I found two separate $50 listings (that includes the TPMS) from guys not far up the road from me...these should easily hold the 265/75/16s I'll run.

Attachments

• 257981541_5011405982276639_254870296669280819_n.png
    257981541_5011405982276639_254870296669280819_n.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • 265437432_6929413120410071_2113491210278756987_n.png
    265437432_6929413120410071_2113491210278756987_n.png
    848.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Good point.

In this morning's scavenger hunt I found two separate $50 listings (that includes the TPMS) from guys not far up the road from me...these should easily hold the 265/75/16s I'll run.
Those are the same ones I use in winter. And even ran them on the trailer for a bit. 50 bucks is a good deal

Steelies is a great choice. But people are selling the OEM rims pretty cheap too. I'd buy 4, as you know how easy it is to damage a rim off roading, and 2 spares couldn't hurt.

Last edited:
Back