• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

What suspension are you running/thinking about running? How do you like it/why?

MJ'sTacoma

5️⃣ Platinum
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2018 SR5 DCSB Auto
Barcelona Red
Ive only ever had experience with 1 brand being Dobinsons, I love the adjustability and OEM fit of everything.
Sitting at right around 2.25" in the front and 2" in the rear. had an issue with the struts (first batch of MRR 3-way adjustable) where the shock cover was rubbing up against the threads on the strut, Nothing actualy, I ended up knocking down the cover and the noise is gone now, had the issue where the leaf was rubbing up against the gas tank which has since been solved. Other than that no issues!

I do work for the company so I may be a bit bias but Id love to hear what other stuff people are running and how it runs!
How has it been?
Have you rebuilt the shocks?
Problems or issues?
Anything tbh!

Lets hear it!

I'm going to get the OME BP 51 kit. It's a good value for what it is, which is crazy for an ARB product. I do mostly long dirt and rough road driving so I think having a good bypass shock will be nice. Also the shocks are tunable for compression and rebound so I can adjust based on the setup. Sometimes I tow a trailer, sometimes I have an RTT on the truck.

Just need to decide if I'm going to sell my 4Runner to pay for it...

-M

I've been running Revtek for 2 years now and they're a bit rough. Saving up for Fox 2.5 with adjusters front and back. Read up on them and i feel they fit what I do with my truck. Also, may be doing the Dobinsons leaf pack with Archive Garage's hangars and crosstube. I tend to go fast on forest roads and want that comfort when hitting bumps.

As it stands now I'm planning to go with the ICON stage 9 kit with the billet Delta Joint UCA's. This kit included a leaf pack and adjustable coil overs. I've heard really great things about this setup for what I plan to do with the truck but I'm still researching and listening to others here. If I see another kit that looks like it will be better for my needs I'll change my mind.

I'm running the OME Nitrocharger Sport. Medium load. I feel it is a step up from stock TRD off-road Bilstein of which two rear were replaced under warranty. Rides a little firmer but not too bad. Also running Duro bumps in front.

I've been running OME BP-51's for the last 2 years now and they have been pretty good overall. The ride has been great both on and offroad. The level of adjustability has allowed me to do what I intended when I first purchased them, to start the build with the shocks at one setting and slowly build the truck up while changing and adapting the shocks to the truck as it changed. In this they did a pretty solid job. I've put almost 40k on them and they are doing alright. Might be do for a rebuild right now but I'm investigating that now.

They have also had some relatively small issues. The biggest being the left front shock has had two failures of the lower spherical bearings that connect at the lower control arm. The bearings themselves got trashed by dirt and grime and required replacement. This requires removal of the shock and pressing the bearing out then in. It's ridiculously difficult, but it is time that the truck is down. I'm also now currently trying to diagnose a loud clunk from the same front left side. I don't know of it's the shock or not. We're working through what it could be and eliminating options.

So that was my current suspension that I've had and we are currently awaiting our next suspension from Elka. We went with a custom setup from them built specifically for our truck, its weight, and our style of travel/use. I'm very excited for them to arrive as I believe they are a superior product and I look forward to putting them through the paces.

I've been running OME BP-51's for the last 2 years now and they have been pretty good overall. The ride has been great both on and offroad. The level of adjustability has allowed me to do what I intended when I first purchased them, to start the build with the shocks at one setting and slowly build the truck up while changing and adapting the shocks to the truck as it changed. In this they did a pretty solid job. I've put almost 40k on them and they are doing alright. Might be do for a rebuild right now but I'm investigating that now.

They have also had some relatively small issues. The biggest being the left front shock has had two failures of the lower spherical bearings that connect at the lower control arm. The bearings themselves got trashed by dirt and grime and required replacement. This requires removal of the shock and pressing the bearing out then in. It's ridiculously difficult, but it is time that the truck is down. I'm also now currently trying to diagnose a loud clunk from the same front left side. I don't know of it's the shock or not. We're working through what it could be and eliminating options.

So that was my current suspension that I've had and we are currently awaiting our next suspension from Elka. We went with a custom setup from them built specifically for our truck, its weight, and our style of travel/use. I'm very excited for them to arrive as I believe they are a superior product and I look forward to putting them through the paces.

Those Elkas look really nice. Let us know what your impressions are when you get them on and put them through their paces.

Coulve sworn BP used bushings on the lower shock leg.

Those Elkas look really nice. Let us know what your impressions are when you get them on and put them through their paces.

I will definitely share my thoughts on them.

Coulve sworn BP used bushings on the lower shock leg.

The lower is a metal spherical bearing with an inner ball and outer race. Grime got built up in between the outer race and ball and gouged the bearing surfaces.

I will definitely share my thoughts on them.

The lower is a metal spherical bearing with an inner ball and outer race. Grime got built up in between the outer race and ball and gouged the bearing surfaces.
Cant even imagine the lovely sounds that came out of that😬

Honestly if you want to jump the truck like that you need a long travel kit. Check out Dirt King, and Total Chaos. Both make great stuff and can get you the associated shocks and extras to jump the truck without exploding things when you hit the ground.

I run King on my truck and I love them, no issues and Ive jumped the truck 3-4 ft in the air (mid-travel, not long travel) without issues. Just swapping in shocks doesnt mean you get to go jump, theres a lot more to it...but I think King makes a super high quality product, easy to service and maintain, and great customer service. I also run their 2.0 bumpstops in the front and rear as well which made the landings wonderfully smooth.

JKP_1679.jpgJKP_5737.jpg

Icon stage 10 checking in. Feels amazing so far but I haven't had the chance yet to put the truck through its paces.

I went with an eibach lift up front.
Good price point for new springs and shocks.
I was going back and forth on bilstein or eibachs, @NEO Garage talked me into the eibachs.
I don't have a lot to compare to, but I love the on road ride as well as the forest rd speedy runs.

I went with icon rxt springs in back.
I used the extra spring so I'm ready for added weight, it's probably close to 3 inches lift in back. No vibration from the driveshaft either.
I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to install.

I run King on my truck and I love them, no issues and Ive jumped the truck 3-4 ft in the air (mid-travel, not long travel) without issues. Just swapping in shocks doesnt mean you get to go jump, theres a lot more to it...but I think King makes a super high quality product, easy to service and maintain, and great customer service. I also run their 2.0 bumpstops in the front and rear as well which made the landings wonderfully smooth.

JKP_1679.jpgJKP_5737.jpg
Is there anything driver or truck setup related that helps keep a truck from nose diving on landing?
Nice pics of big air!

TRD, which kings did you go with? Did you do front and back?
My current suspension setup Includes

Front:
King 2.5 EXT RR w/ Comp Adj. w/ 700lb springs
King 2.0 Bumpstops
Total Chaos UCA's
Total Chaos Spindle Gussets
Total Chaos Coil Bucket / UCA Gussets
Marlin Crawler LCA Gussets
Kartek 9" Limit Straps
Victory 4x4 LCA Skids

Rear:
Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leaf Springs
King 3.0 x 12" Smooth Body shocks w/ comp adj.
King 2.0 Hydraulic Bumpstops
Wheelers U-Bolt flip w/ custom bump pad
Ruffstuff Specialties Axle Truss
Ruffstuff Specialties Diff Base Plate
Shackle Hangar Reinforcement Bar
DMZ Frame Box
Archive Garage Hangars
Archive Garage Shock Relocation
Rear Limit Straps

2021 Suspension Updates to come:

King 6" triple bypass shocks (Front Secondary bypass shock)
Custom secondary bypass shock hoop
Front Coil bucket engine bay crossbar

Is there anything driver or truck setup related that helps keep a truck from nose diving on landing?
Nice pics of big air!
Proper weight balance from front to rear of truck will help with air time, granted were not getting "huge" air but proper balance does help. I found close to a 50/50 balance to work well for me. Truck currently weighs 6540 with 3140 over the rear axle. Driver skill also has some part in it too.

Last edited:
Front:
Fox 2.5’s wirh DSC
Eibach 14”, 700# springs
Total Chaos UCA

Rear:
Fox 2.5 (no DSC)
Dakar Heavy leaf pack
U-bolt flip kit w/ Timbren bump stops

I didn’t do rear DSC for cost savings at the time but I did the front since replacing the rear is cheaper and easier than the front. Over all I like the ride and adjusting the front is as easy as turning 2 knobs.

I'm actually debating. I don't do any rocky trails or anything, mainly dirt gravel roads and I tow an RV. So a Full Leaf Pack is a must for me. I'm thinking either Dakar Heavy Duty's or Dakar Medium Duties and Air bags. I'm getting a Camper Shell soon so that will add constant 200+ load.

Right now for the price the OME Kit I can get with 10% off for 1200 with Leaf Pack. I also like the KINGS and FOX 2.5's So really its a matter if I want to spend 1200 or 2k Plus lol.

@Ruben Z don't go the Dakars. There are a bunch of people who have and are disappointed very quickly. Myself being one of them. They squeak, don't hold the load they advertise, and just aren't what they are cracked up to be. I would highly advise going a different direction and would recommend @ARCHIVE new springs that are coming soon, @DobinsonsUSA , Deavers, or Alcan. Any one of those will last you longer than the Dakars and not leave you shopping for new springs in another year.

The Dakar’s did squeak after off roading due to dirt getting between them but I easily fixed that with a pressure washer and a little grease. Other than that I haven’t had any issues with them.

Back