• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

What have you done to, or with, your Tacoma today?

Closer thing to a mod I’ve done in a while, but heyyyyy if you like the patch go into the T3G shop and get yourself one support a good cause! ?
3CD92D12-3F28-4474-86EB-56747991F329.jpeg
Love it!

New head unit. Cheap, big screen, Android and Apple Carplay, easy to customize the interface. It is Chinese--Joying is the brand. The only downside is it eliminated my Germes Lab anytime front/rear camera so I will have to use a different solution for that.
ZAm8Sf9.jpg
Is it plug and play?
The entune is like dealing with a retarded crackhead.
I don't understand why car manufacturers don't just install an iPad or something similar because that is what's going to be the endgame

Is it plug and play?
The entune is like dealing with a retarded crackhead.
I don't understand why car manufacturers don't just install an iPad or something similar because that is what's going to be the endgame

Yes, it is plug/play. The bracket is not perfect--you can only use one screw on each side--but that's OK because the unit is very light. Android Auto and Apple Carplay both work well. The one downside I've found so far is that you lose the compass display in the instrument panel. I bought it primarily to improve navigation so that I didn't have to have my phone or an iPad hanging in front of the HU and it uses Apple or Google maps perfectly. With a map onscreen not having compass in the dash isn't a big loss.

Here is the unit I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W1ZML6V/?tag=tacoma3g-20. It does integrate with the steering wheel controls.

With my original HU I used the Germes Lab kit to have a front camera and anytime reverse camera. It integrated with the steering wheel controls and worked well. However, it does not work with this Joying unit so I've sold it and ordered the kit from here: https://www.anytimebackupcamera.com/collections/kits/products/anytime-backup-and-front-camera

I hope to get it installed soon and will report back on the results.
does it work with the mic built into the truck? did you need any other harnesses. i think i'm going to get this soon!

does it work with the mic built into the truck? did you need any other harnesses. i think i'm going to get this soon!

It does not work with the existing mic but it has one built into the front and an external mic that you can plug in and route to wherever you want. I just use the one on the front of the unit and it works fine. It may be clearer than the Tacoma factory mic according to my wife talking to me on the phone. It comes with all the wiring you need. No splicing or soldering. It is a little slow to connect to Apple Carplay throught the Zlink app but the Android Auto system works so well that I don't use Carplay much. I prefer Google Maps to Apple anyway. It recognizes the USB port in the dash and has lots of built in storage for music, pictures, videos, whatever.

It does not work with the existing mic but it has one built into the front and an external mic that you can plug in and route to wherever you want. I just use the one on the front of the unit and it works fine. It may be clearer than the Tacoma factory mic according to my wife talking to me on the phone. It comes with all the wiring you need. No splicing or soldering. It is a little slow to connect to Apple Carplay throught the Zlink app but the Android Auto system works so well that I don't use Carplay much. I prefer Google Maps to Apple anyway. It recognizes the USB port in the dash and has lots of built in storage for music, pictures, videos, whatever.
What is the Zlink app? You need that on your phone to use CarPlay?

Spent all day getting my bumper in, winch, and lightbar mounted. Making body cuts were a little bit nerve racking... haha. I called it a day, but I have a little more work to do, should be done tomorrow!

16A59F70-7019-4B6B-BE0B-95374D22CDA3.jpeg

I finished up and put the truck together! I had some troubles on the electrical, so I’ll have to sort that out this week. I’m really excited about the direction my truck is going!

593F49AF-B779-47E7-B4C2-9469E2FEFA0D.jpeg
783070FC-E979-4C1B-B5A7-70CC5E2BA2ED.jpeg

I finished up and put the truck together! I had some troubles on the electrical, so I’ll have to sort that out this week. I’m really excited about the direction my truck is going!

593F49AF-B779-47E7-B4C2-9469E2FEFA0D.jpeg
783070FC-E979-4C1B-B5A7-70CC5E2BA2ED.jpeg
Super clean! Nice job.

Remounted one of my Plano cases across my Prinsu rack in front of the Drifter. Wife reorganized the interior contents of the case.
Just finished putting these on.
5C5FE22C-5F4D-457E-B435-CCAE0B7F6537.jpeg

That looks really good loving the grey steelie look on the Cavalry blue. ??

You’re the second person who said grey. Lol They’re actually like a light brown. That picture is screwed up color wise.
Here’s in my driveway
EFFB6681-F18D-45BE-A215-635DA5D5357C.jpeg

Definitely a bit easier to see in that photo. Still looks killer ?‍♂️. Haha

Unbolted my TRD Pro skid plate and dropped it off at a powder coat shop. I was never a fan of the stock color.

Doing black? Doing the letters a different color?
Yup. Just a matte black finish. I'm not sure about the letters... I was looking at Tufskinz and contemplating between the cement color so it doesn't have a huge contrast like white, or the matte reflective black - low key when it wants to be. haha. It's weird they don't offer the matte white for the Tacomas like they do for the 4Runners.

Yup. Just a matte black finish. I'm not sure about the letters... I was looking at Tufskinz and contemplating between the cement color so it doesn't have a huge contrast like white, or the matte reflective black - low key when it wants to be. haha. It's weird they don't offer the matte white for the Tacomas like they do for the 4Runners.
The black is going to look cool. I almost never see the Pro skid painted a different color. The letters would look great in light grey, very dark grey, or maybe red or maroon. I mean, anything goes well with black. Whatever you go with is going to look a lot nicer than stock. (If you go to the very bottom of the forum, that's my truck in the photo -- you can see my red lettering on the stock aluminum color.)

The black is going to look cool. I almost never see the Pro skid painted a different color. The letters would look great in light grey, very dark grey, or maybe red or maroon. I mean, anything goes well with black. Whatever you go with is going to look a lot nicer than stock. (If you go to the very bottom of the forum, that's my truck in the photo -- you can see my red lettering on the stock aluminum color.)
For sure! I'm trying to stick to a red and black theme, so the TRD Pro skid plate just look out of place in the stock color. Anyways, I was never really a fan of the oversized red branding on the skid plate when they started them in 2019. Dark grey would be real nice. I'll have to look around before it gets done and get it on order!

For sure! I'm trying to stick to a red and black theme, so the TRD Pro skid plate just look out of place in the stock color. Anyways, I was never really a fan of the oversized red branding on the skid plate when they started them in 2019. Dark grey would be real nice. I'll have to look around before it gets done and get it on order!
Post it up when it's done because it'll probably make me want to spray mine.

Installed one of my Plano cases on the rack in front of the Drifter. I originally had them set up to run lengthwise along the truck. Once the Drifter was installed I had to remove one and mount a single one across the truck. I didn't have to drill more holes as I was able to just move one of the bars.

IMG_20200123_112440.jpg

IMG_20200123_144525.jpg

IMG_20200123_144547.jpg

My wife also installed a couple of interior pull straps to make closing the windoors from the inside a bit easier.

IMG_20200123_144621.jpg

Last I wired up my @Baja Designs RTL (rear tail light) and mounted it inside the drifter under the glass.
IMG_20200123_144413.jpg

IMG_20200123_144403.jpg

Plenty more to do. Hopefully I can stay productive as I have the next couple of days off.

Back