• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Well, I guess that I'm a Tacoma owner, now...

fourgotten

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Website
morelinfo.com
2018 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Some buddies and I headed to the beach and we were all going to camp, but the only available spot was past some sand.
My 2000 Durango has 4WD, but the bushing to the linkage had rotted out and, while I was able to get it into 4L, it popped out halfway through the sand.
A few days later, one of them told me, "You just need to replace your truck."
While The Tick (my Durango) has been a pretty good vehicle, and I've MORE than gotten my money's worth out of 'er, I couldn't fault the logic of having something from a recent year that would last me for a long time to come... So, I started looking at trucks in my area.
The third hit on Craigslist was a 2018 TRD Off-Road in Magnetic Gray Metallic with pretty much all of the important stuff already done to 'er.
I talked with the owner, took 'er for a spin, and kinda fell in love.
So, the next week, we got together and made money happen for him and a truck happen for me.
So, here I am - a Tacoma owner, now.

This is my Taco, Belle.

It occurs to me that I should document what has been done already, and what will be done.

Here is the PO's doing (copied from the CL ad where I found the truck):

Engine:
K&N air filter

Drivetrain:
Nitro 5.29 gears to manage larger tires and weight
Long Rang America fuel tank - 33 gal replacement
IFJF diff breather F and R - not installed

Exterior:
TRD desert air intake - keeps engineer [sic.] filter cleaner and don't [sic.] drill into the A-pillar, not for deep water
Smittybuilt winch X20 9500lbs w/ synthetic line
SOS Offroad steel skid plates - engine, trans, transfer
Proline 4x4 steel plate Low Pro bumper
Cab Mount trim w/ BAMF plates to clear larger tires

Brakes:
Wheelers Performance stainless braided brake lines - +0" front, +4" rear
EBC Stage 5 brake kit - dimples/slotted rotors w/ YwllowStuff pads - front

Wheels and suspension:
Old Man Emu BP-51 w/ compression and rebound adjustment
Dobinsons Heavy 113 (112+extra leaf) leaf springs, 880-1210lb constant load - camper ready
SPC adjustable uppper control arms w/ spare ball joint
Icon coilover covers
Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers - all 4 corners
4Runner OR wheels - 17x7.5 ET15
BFG K02 tires - 285/70R17 load range C

Electronics:
Hypertech inline calibration for larger tires and re-gear
N2 Designs plug-n-play remote start works w/ factory remote
Pop and Lock power latch for topper - locks and unlocks with all the other doors
Pop and Lock power latch for tailgate - locks and unlocks with all the other doors
Anytime Backup Camera switch with inputs for additional front and rear camera

Interior:
Desert Does It Seat Jackers - driver's seat
Meso Customs red/white combo LED dome and map light (map not pictured)

Topper/Bed:
BedRug liner carpet for bed and tailgate - matches carpet of the topper
Rago Fabrications bed stiffeners (not pictured)
Leer 100XL w/ Thule roof tracks, carpeted interiou, and pet screens - 3rd brake light and interior LED not connected
Extra topper clamps to keep it from moving - 4 per side for a total of 12 attachment points (not pictured)

Now, things that I have done:
Rough Country neoprene seat covers (front and back)
Glove box organizer ('cause you GOTTA)
Console organizer
Console tray
Pet-proof seat cover (rear)
Neoprene console cover (because the li'l dog likes to ride there... he's kind of a dumbass sometimes.)

Things that I have, but have not yet installed:
Front-facing camera (PO was good enough to get the input line into the engine bay, and I have the camera, but not the mounting bracket).
Air Up Down 4-wheel tire adjustment system with gen2 controller - Engine bay mount and matching compressor. (arrived today and should be installed on Sunday - Look for the awesome video link in the comments once we're done!)
Cargo net organizer and T-rail mounting hooks (PFCC Replacement for Mini Tie-down with hooks)
Universal dash cam mount (mounts on the rearview mirror pivot bar)
Mirror power take-off for dashcam power (Dongar) adapter.

Attachments

• 20211104_121308.jpg
    20211104_121308.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 20211027_171846.jpg
    20211027_171846.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 20211030_152029.jpg
    20211030_152029.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
As I already have a group of Tacodores as friends, it seems that I should have littlw trouble finding tips and tricks.

First thing, though, was being able to get in, without a ladder.

Fortunately, my nephew had steps that he was replacing with framezmount sliders, so we swapped those from his '21 to my '18.

I am fairly short (5'5.5"), but my shortness is all in my legs, so with this tall of a beast, this was a necessary mod. I expect that I will eventually go the slider route, too, but these'll do for now.

Attachments

• 20211104_121354.jpg
    20211104_121354.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 122
Now, with steps installed, it was time for some protection.

I have two dogs who absolutely have to come along when we are out and about, so seat covers are a must, unless I want dog fur and funk in my upholstery.

I picked up this set of neoprene covers from Rough Country for about $200.

The fit is pretty darned good, and they feel great.

The only issue is that the middle seatbelt in the rear is not fully accounted for.

There's a velcro-closure slit at the top of the seat, but the slit at the bottom doesn't accommodate both the seat latch AND the belt, and there's no other slit for the belt at the bottom, so I would have had to pull the bolt, slip the belt out from the retention loop on the seat, and then bypass the loop and remount the belt outside of the cover. (RC was REALLY receptive when I contacted them about the issue, so hopefully they adjust the design).

Added to that a pet-specific cover to cover the covers, and a neoprene cover for the console lid (which is where my Puggle REALLY likes to be) and door protectors, and it's pretty well pet proof, now.

My only other gripe with those covers is the headrest coverage for the rear.

The front seat headrests are full-coverage with a velcro closure on the bottom, but the rear ones are basically neoprene socks. Full coverage there would have been nice, too.

Attachments

• 20211102_090946.jpg
    20211102_090946.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 20211102_091005.jpg
    20211102_091005.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 20211102_091019.jpg
    20211102_091019.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 20211102_142010.jpg
    20211102_142010.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 20211102_141940.jpg
    20211102_141940.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 113
  • 20211102_141926.jpg
    20211102_141926.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 20211102_141916.jpg
    20211102_141916.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 110
Beyond the doodads and googaws that I purchased for the inside (the tray and organizer for the console, glove box organizer, and such) my new addition is going to be wiring up the canopy.

While the PO did wire up a Pop and Lock power latch for the tailgate and the canopy door, he didn't wire up the brake light or the LED dome light in it.

When wiring up the brake light, I would really prefer not to put a vampire tap or other destructive tap method on the factory harness to the brake lights.

Does anyone know of a power-take-off harness for the brake light? Or, is that something that I'll have to design and build?

I am sure that I can get the connectors (probably pull them from a junker) and build such a thing so that it's plug-and-play instead of breaking the insulation to those wires, but if there's one that's already built - that would be better. I always prefer to not cut into existing wiring when there's a way around it.

I expect, for the light, that I should be able to feed that from the power for the canopy lock as I expect that would be hot without the ignition on (though will have to verify that).

I have hammocks, a few of them. It's fine for the Subaru and the Durango, but I decided to try something different, and went with this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NR9DZL4/?tag=tacoma3g-20

It looks great and the dingos seem to like it better, especially with the shorter floor space in the rear seat.

I also bought them a set of steps ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B6RYTP4/?tag=tacoma3g-20 ). Samson is a short guy and I know eventually Ponyo will no longer be able to jump up that far. So far, they have pretty much just given me the finger when I try to get them to use the steps. 🤣

Attachments

• 20211028_105309.jpg
    20211028_105309.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 126
Welcome! A fellow DCLB OR owner. It looks great, a lot of nice addons already installed. Mine came more or less bone stock. Have fun with it! The first "mod" I added was trail pinstriping.

Welcome! A fellow DCLB OR owner. It looks great, a lot of nice addons already installed. Mine came more or less bone stock. Have fun with it! The first "mod" I added was trail pinstriping.
🤣 This one came with pinstripes already installed.

Which is fine by me. Places I go, there's no way I wouldn't have it all brush-scraped. This way, I don't have to feel bad about it. 😉

But, yes, this does have all of the stuff... winch, lift, chop, regear, 33-gallon tank, canopy, and a lot more.

Need to get the breathers from the PO and get them installed.

Fortunately for me, he was meticulous about keeping service records and the like.

I feel pretty good about the money that I got this for (even if it was a couple thousand more than I was hoping).

Now, I need to build a sleeping platform for the bed, after I get the canopy wired.

That was one thing that I loved about the Durango - laid down the back two seats and had a wonderful sleeping space.

Congrats….for your 2018 DCLB …. I have a 2019 DCLB…with a high top Leer camper… the dealer who install my camper top…install the camper rear brake light to the rear brake lights of the bed…looks like pre made. Wiring system…?
As far as for interior lighting …the camper top dealer mention, Not to use the car battery for interior lights, too many people fail to notice it is on and drain there batteries..or accidentally left it on..
I use a battery light switch..AAA - battery light switch..glue with Velcro to inside rear top..looks like a electric junction box with light switch…only simmer in size..from Amazon…
It also has magnet or can be screw in..mounted anywhere.. great as a flash light too..
The magnet will stick anywhere on the truck for camp lighting…reason I keep extras in the truck..

Makes a nice simple “gift” for your buddies…everyone can use a spare light! I just order 12 more…
Aloha

Amazon call - Super bright switch , battery operated LED night COB Led, cordless light ( long title) …. COB - lighting as everyone who use COB lights know they are very “bright”!
Mounted anywhere, use any where …NOT water proof ..splash proof only…approx $3.00 each by the six pack..

Last edited by a moderator:
Some buddies and I headed to the beach and we were all going to camp, but the only available spot was past some sand.
My 2000 Durango has 4WD, but the bushing to the linkage had rotted out and, while I was able to get it into 4L, it popped out halfway through the sand.
While The Tick (my Durango) has been a pretty good vehicle, and I've MORE than gotten my money's worth out of 'er, I couldn't fault the logic of having something from a recent year that would last me for a long time to come... So, I started looking at trucks in my area.
The third hit on Craigslist was a 2018 TRD Off-Road in Magnetic Gray Metallic with pretty much all of the important stuff already done to 'er.
So, the next week, we got together and made money happen for him and a truck happen for me.

This is my Taco, Belle.
Said campout:
Original link: https://youtu.be/cwjTmMcc8F0

So far, the mods that I have added have been glove box and console organizers (why are these not standard issue?!?), sear covers dog seat covers, mirror power for my dashcam, gopro mounts for my exilim camera (dodgy... but I have a 3D printing buddy who might be able to make a better mount.

Coming soon, RevN3 and I will be installing this sexy air pressure system.... https://overlandkings.com/products/...es-and-storage-bag-black-up-down-air-237-1620... compressor will be waiting for onboard mount build and then be part of the install.

So far, the mods that I have added have been glove box and console organizers (why are these not standard issue?!?), sear covers dog seat covers, mirror power for my dashcam, gopro mounts for my exilim camera (dodgy... but I have a 3D printing buddy who might be able to make a better mount.

Coming soon, RevN3 and I will be installing this sexy air pressure system.... https://overlandkings.com/products/...es-and-storage-bag-black-up-down-air-237-1620... compressor will be waiting for onboard mount build and then be part of the install.
So that will do all 4 tires at once? Guess that should make it perfectly equal pressures.

Oh, that's a cool OBA system. For some reason I didn't realize there are kits out there like that. I just went straight for the DIY route. I'm only doing one QD in each bumper, though. Then with a two-tire inflator/deflator I can set fronts and rears to different pressures depending on loading. But also I wanted to fit it in a smaller bag. Best of luck!

Oh, that's a cool OBA system. For some reason I didn't realize there are kits out there like that. I just went straight for the DIY route. I'm only doing one QD in each bumper, though. Then with a two-tire inflator/deflator I can set fronts and rears to different pressures depending on loading. But also I wanted to fit it in a smaller bag. Best of luck!
I was gonna go that route, myself, with some hoses to tuck in to the fender liners. Someone told me I was overthinking it, and then I found this system....

I have had this truck less than three weeks.

Today I got into an accident with it.

A deer hit me.

Yes, you read that right.

A DEER hit ME.

I was in town, and about a block from home, and this young buck decided to barrel down a bank and right into my passenger door.

He seemed to be alright after, but probably will have a headache.

The damage to the truck was minimal...still debating one whether to talk to my insurance about it.

New toy arrived... Compressor got here the other day...

Planning to install on Sunday (assuming that nothing untoward occurs).

For now, the compressor will be a temporary, but plan on permanent mounting for it in the future, once I figure out whether I want to mount it, or the deep-cycle battery in the passenger-side engine bay hole. One of them will wind up there, and one will probably be semi-permamounted in the bed. Right now, I am thinking that I'll be building a battery box with charge controller, switch, yada yada for the bet and putting the extra electricity back there... but *shrug*

BTW, there were some hiccups getting this to me. First they CLAIM that the payment didn't go through (although I saw it go through my PayPal account, and I also saw their refund go through), and then they shipped it to the right house number, but a street about 5 minutes away (I hope nobody mistook me for a porch pirate when I went to pick it up).

I am looking forward to the seller's response to my nastygram about the shipping screw-up. If they take responsibility, I'll be fine with the two screw-ups in a single order.

If they don't, I'll name them and shame them.

Attachments

• 20211119_171140.jpg
    20211119_171140.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
New toy arrived... Compressor got here the other day...

Planning to install on Sunday (assuming that nothing untoward occurs).

For now, the compressor will be a temporary, but plan on permanent mounting for it in the future, once I figure out whether I want to mount it, or the deep-cycle battery in the passenger-side engine bay hole. One of them will wind up there, and one will probably be semi-permamounted in the bed. Right now, I am thinking that I'll be building a battery box with charge controller, switch, yada yada for the bet and putting the extra electricity back there... but *shrug*

BTW, there were some hiccups getting this to me. First they CLAIM that the payment didn't go through (although I saw it go through my PayPal account, and I also saw their refund go through), and then they shipped it to the right house number, but a street about 5 minutes away (I hope nobody mistook me for a porch pirate when I went to pick it up).

I am looking forward to the seller's response to my nastygram about the shipping screw-up. If they take responsibility, I'll be fine with the two screw-ups in a single order.

If they don't, I'll name them and shame them.
I see that you have the '18, like me. So you have the large driver side bed cubby? I'm planning on making that my air compressor box, for what it's worth. I'm only working with a Viair 88P, though, so I can get away with cutting a little section out instead of having to think about installing underhood or buying ARB's cubby replacement.

I see that you have the '18, like me. So you have the large driver side bed cubby? I'm planning on making that my air compressor box, for what it's worth. I'm only working with a Viair 88P, though, so I can get away with cutting a little section out instead of having to think about installing underhood or buying ARB's cubby replacement.
That cubby is currently filled with 2 MREs and my jump-pack. But that is not a bad plan. Would be a good spot to mount that compressor, and it might actually fit.

Pics of my keen dash cam mount and power adapter...

ETA: Looking at these, I guess you cannot see the mount that well. It clamps around the mirror stem, then goes to a ball-mount clamp, and you use the adapter for the dashcam that you want to use (and it comes with a LOT of adapters. It was the only non-suction-cup mount that I could find which could (just barely) mount my existing Apeman dash cam.

Attachments

• 20211120_095647.jpg
    20211120_095647.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 20211120_095654.jpg
    20211120_095654.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

This is my Taco, Belle.

It occurs to me that I should document what has been done already, and what will be done.

Here is the PO's doing (copied from the CL ad where I found the truck):

Engine:
K&N air filter

Drivetrain:
Nitro 5.29 gears to manage larger tires and weight
Long Rang America fuel tank - 33 gal replacement
IFJF diff breather F and R - not installed

Exterior:
TRD desert air intake - keeps engineer [sic.] filter cleaner and don't [sic.] drill into the A-pillar, not for deep water
Smittybuilt winch X20 9500lbs w/ synthetic line
SOS Offroad steel skid plates - engine, trans, transfer
Proline 4x4 steel plate Low Pro bumper
Cab Mount trim w/ BAMF plates to clear larger tires

Brakes:
Wheelers Performance stainless braided brake lines - +0" front, +4" rear
EBC Stage 5 brake kit - dimples/slotted rotors w/ YwllowStuff pads - front

Wheels and suspension:
Old Man Emu BP-51 w/ compression and rebound adjustment
Dobinsons Heavy 113 (112+extra leaf) leaf springs, 880-1210lb constant load - camper ready
SPC adjustable uppper control arms w/ spare ball joint
Icon coilover covers
Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers - all 4 corners
4Runner OR wheels - 17x7.5 ET15
BFG K02 tires - 285/70R17 load range C

Electronics:
Hypertech inline calibration for larger tires and re-gear
N2 Designs plug-n-play remote start works w/ factory remote
Pop and Lock power latch for topper - locks and unlocks with all the other doors
Pop and Lock power latch for tailgate - locks and unlocks with all the other doors
Anytime Backup Camera switch with inputs for additional front and rear camera

Interior:
Desert Does It Seat Jackers - driver's seat
Meso Customs red/white combo LED dome and map light (map not pictured)

Topper/Bed:
BedRug liner carpet for bed and tailgate - matches carpet of the topper
Rago Fabrications bed stiffeners (not pictured)
Leer 100XL w/ Thule roof tracks, carpeted interiou, and pet screens - 3rd brake light and interior LED not connected
Extra topper clamps to keep it from moving - 4 per side for a total of 12 attachment points (not pictured)

Now, things that I have done:
Rough Country neoprene seat covers (front and back)
Glove box organizer ('cause you GOTTA)
Console organizer
Console tray
Pet-proof seat cover (rear)
Neoprene console cover (because the li'l dog likes to ride there... he's kind of a dumbass sometimes.)

Things that I have, but have not yet installed:
Front-facing camera (PO was good enough to get the input line into the engine bay, and I have the camera, but not the mounting bracket).
Air Up Down 4-wheel tire adjustment system with gen2 controller - Engine bay mount and matching compressor. (arrived today and should be installed on Sunday - Look for the awesome video link in the comments once we're done!)
Cargo net organizer and T-rail mounting hooks (PFCC Replacement for Mini Tie-down with hooks)
Universal dash cam mount (mounts on the rearview mirror pivot bar)
Mirror power take-off for dashcam power (Dongar) adapter.
welcome and nice truck! those are some great looking wheels on there but I'm pretty biased. i think they're the best looking oem wheel

Well, winter months in the PNW being what they are, and not having a garage in which to work, little has gotten actually done on the truck.

We had some nice weather yesterday, and I've been sick of juggling the new Prinsu roof rack around the living room, so I decided to install it and get my front-facing camera installed.

Figuring that I could just use my Dremel cut-off wheel from the power inverter in the bed, I hauled it out and got to measuring and marking the drip channel molding. Got everything marked and ready to go and.... the power inverter wasn't working. Engine on, nothing. Checked the user manual, and apparently, I have to actually push the button.... but I couldn't find the button. (More on that later.)

So, hooked up to the house, made my cuts through the steel down the middle of the molding, and then drilled out the 1/2" holes through it.

Then saw that what I had initially read as 1/2" was really 3/4". Crud. Do you know how hard it is to try and widen a hole in a chuck of rubber with a spade bit? Got 'em fairly well wallowed out after some doing and cut/drilled the passenger side.

Siliconed the bolt holes, put the spacers in place, and ran the bolts down to hold them on while I reinstalled the molding. Driver side could use some fit adjustment, but I'll take care of that later.

Started installing the sides of the rack, beginning with the passenger side and ran into a little trouble. The cut-out on the side does not *quite* accommodate the TRD desert air intake, even through it's supposed to. Also, one of the lower bits of the rack is actually touching paint when fully installed.

So, contacted Prinsu and waiting to hear back. Meanwhile, I was out of light, so I'd get the camera the next day.

Flash forward, and here I am easily installing the camera bracket, threading the wire along the power line for the winch, and into the engine bay where there's a cable for it waiting to connect it to the Anytime Backup Camera system.

Plugged it in to the waiting RCA plug and..... nada. Well. That's not how it's supposed to work.

So, opened up the switch panel (the PO installed the ABC switch in the left panel where they had removed the switch for (you guessed it) the power inverter.

Pulled out as much wiring as I could reach and groaned. Apparently the PO is not exactly an electrical engineer. All of the connections were where he had twisted (or in a couple of places, tied) the wire ends together and wrapped them in electrical tape. The ground connections were wire tips twisted up and stuck under a nut. It made me sad.

Soooooooo, out cam the stripper, crimper, and spade connectors. replaced the tied together wires and blacktape with spade connectors, dielectric grease, and insulator sleeves.

Replaced the mess of twisted together green wire and red wire tips, with neatly trimmed wires and a wire-nut, replaced the stuck-under-a-nut ground wires with a ring connector that tied them all together, and plugged tried again.

Nada.

So, ensured that everything was plugged in where it should be, removed the front cam's RCA cable from the mix and now the backup cam won't even work.

Did I mention that it was about 38F yesterday? Cold and irritated, I reviewed the installation instructions for the ABC system, and everything was where it should be. clipped the zip tie that was hanging the relay from a chunk of wire loom under the steering wheel and inspected that.

Unplugged the female RCA connector to which the rear camera was plugged and swapped it with the female RCA connector that was dangling loose. Nope. That wasn't it. Then I read further on the relay installation.

"Step 3.1 – Switching Relay Video (RCA) Connections Figure 6 - Switching Relay (Two Female RCA, One Male RCA Yellow plugs) Follow the procedure bulleted here and shown in Figure 6 below:  Connect the Yellow RCA plugs on the Switching Relay to the Video Harness o Connect the MALE on the SWITCHING RELAY to the FEMALE on the VIDEO HANRESS  o Connect the MALE on the VIDEO HARNESS to the FEMALE on the SWITCHING RELAY   Once completed you will have one free FEMALE RCA connector on the SWITCHING RELAY. This is to be used for the Front Camera input "

Wait a second. I have two female RCA plugs here. WTF?

So, I pulled the head unit, hauled the relay up, and sure enough - the male plug was plugged in to the relay, but the female from the harness shim was not - it was just dangling loose.

Set that to right, put the relay back where it should be and, sure enough - backup cam works.

I have no idea how he got this to work as it was configured, but he had some sort of crazy luck in doing so.

Still don't have signal from the front camera, but I am pretty sure that's a power issue, and no big deal. I will fix that when I install the auxiliary fuse block/relay block through which I will power most of the bits and bobs. Also going to re-route the wiring for the front camera THROUGH the grommet, rather than around the side of it. I hate sloppy wiring.

And I still have this other male RCA connector, which was hooked up to the system and goes off behind the side kick plate to parts unknown, so I'll need to figure out where THAT goes off to. At least the hard bit is done.

Now if Prinsu gets back to me, that part should go easily as well, and I'll have two of the mods done. Next bit of dry weather will go to the air system and seeing if I can mount the compressor behind the passenger's seat. Also prepping a fuse and switch for the light bar that I have yet to order.

W00t!

Back