• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Was planning a cross-country (national park) trip with the dog

Sigs

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Cavalry Blue
My job has told us to stay at home till June. This might get lengthened, but whatever. I was looking to take advantage of this (finally), and do some work on the road, while travelling. I have a friend that lives near Denver, and my brother that lives in Salt Lake City. I want to take a good road trip that hits some awesome National Parks, camps in some awesome places, and sees them. The trouble came, because I love my dog, and want to camp (more importantly, walk him). Turns out some of the best parks don't like dogs. (Rocky, Arches, Zion, Yellowstone, Badlands).

The question is, what are people's thoughts about doing it anyways? I have a mostly stock truck that I'm happy to offroad and camp, but I want to seem some really cool stuff. Any advice on working around the park's restrictions, and seeing some awesome sights that are adjacent to their land?

FWIW, I'm from PA. Roughly Pittsburgh, so it's going to be a nice, long drive out West but I love everything about the Rockies. I don't really have a limit on how long the trip has to take, just looking for advice for the situation I'm in; I've been searching around, but the information isn't very extensive.

I would check with the national Park service and their regulations on having a dog. I could be wrong but I believe you can if it's leashed correctly and isn't a nuisance. I do know they don't like dogs on trails so you may be limited to specific areas.

All of those parks are "dogs are allowed in parking lots, and campsites. NO Trails" Which if I'm headed to these places, I want to hike and see some things. Especially with the dog. Seems like that's just not worth me driving out, in this case.

All of those parks are "dogs are allowed in parking lots, and campsites. NO Trails" Which if I'm headed to these places, I want to hike and see some things. Especially with the dog. Seems like that's just not worth me driving out, in this case.
Well for what it's worth if you've never driven across country which I have done probably 10 times you're gonna want to do it at least once if that makes any sense. And I would say bring your dog and find places he can go as well. National parks are heavily regulated and you may not want to be in that arena anyway but there are plenty of areas and places that do have dog friendly areas you could find and enjoy as well.

The only two NPs that I have been to that have very limited restrictions on dogs are Arcadia NP in Maine and Petrified Forest NP in Arizona. If you are in Pennsylvania, I can’t more highly recommend Arcadia in Maine.

I think Shoshone National Forest is somewhat more dog friendly than other national forests and you can bring your dog into the backcountry (on a leash). Shoshone borders Yellowstone in Wyoming. I would definitely check first.

I know there are some places around Mt. Rushmore in South Dakota that have dirt roads through the parks, on which which you can drive and see a lot of cool country and free roaming bison. Still being in your truck would make it ok with your dog.

Check with your friend in Denver about places in CO. I'm sure there will be places that are off the beaten path that locals know about that are dog friendly.

I think Shoshone National Forest is somewhat more dog friendly than other national forests and you can bring your dog into the backcountry (on a leash). Shoshone borders Yellowstone in Wyoming. I would definitely check first.

I know there are some places around Mt. Rushmore in South Dakota that have dirt roads through the parks, on which which you can drive and see a lot of cool country and free roaming bison. Still being in your truck would make it ok with your dog.

Check with your friend in Denver about places in CO. I'm sure there will be places that are off the beaten path that locals know about that are dog friendly.
National forests are not national parks. National forest dogs are fine you can shoot you can do whatever you want Like dispersed camping. But national parks are heavily regulated with an almost Hessian like mentality.

The question is, what are people's thoughts about doing it anyways?

Doing what anyway? Taking your dog places specifically saying you can't take your dog? I hope that's not what you are asking.

You can actually choose the like button and select "haha" you don't have to make a post with just emoticons. I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean. One of the reasons I left Tacomaworld is that everyone wanted to talk in emoticons.

You can actually choose the like button and select "haha" you don't have to make a post with just emoticons. I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean. One of the reasons I left Tacomaworld is that everyone wanted to talk in emoticons.
Actually I can kind of do what I want number one and number two your reply gave me a serious chuckle because I agree with you. That's the problem with these dumb ass sites everybody takes things emotionally. Woke and easily offended. I'll refrain from reacting to anymore of your posts and strictly be business. Have the best day ever

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I can kind of do what I want number one and number two your reply gave me a serious chuckle because I agree with you. That's the problem with these dumb ass sites everybody takes things emotionally. Woke and easily offended. I'll refrain from reacting to anymore of your posts and strictly be business. Have the best day ever
If you click on my name over there <----- you can click "ignore" and not see any of my posts anymore. Hope that helps.

Doing what anyway? Taking your dog places specifically saying you can't take your dog? I hope that's not what you are asking.
Good point. I'm not even sure if I meant driving anyways and finding spots that allowed dogs, or going without him. Either way, I'm not going to take him on trails that don't allow dogs, just to start trouble with Park Rangers.

National forests are not national parks. National forest dogs are fine you can shoot you can do whatever you want Like dispersed camping. But national parks are heavily regulated with an almost Hessian like mentality.
That's good to know. I'm not very familiar with National Forests. I only every go to Allegheny National Forest, but to a friend's "camp" (really just a house).

The only two NPs that I have been to that have very limited restrictions on dogs are Arcadia NP in Maine and Petrified Forest NP in Arizona. If you are in Pennsylvania, I can’t more highly recommend Arcadia in Maine.

Yep, heard of Acadia fairly recently, and that's another ToDo. And thanks for the link, I should've gone more towards that thinking. I think I was just really focused on the Parks that I wanted to go to, then bummed out when I started looking up hiking there.

Well for what it's worth if you've never driven across country which I have done probably 10 times you're gonna want to do it at least once if that makes any sense. And I would say bring your dog and find places he can go as well. National parks are heavily regulated and you may not want to be in that arena anyway but there are plenty of areas and places that do have dog friendly areas you could find and enjoy as well.

Thanks for both of these. I think this is the stuff I needed to hear. Just stop thinking too much and do it. I would feel better asking locals, but who knows what's open with all this COVID stuff that's still going on, so that added to the bit of "wanting to over plan"

I'll also definitely check into Shoshone too.

Good point. I'm not even sure if I meant driving anyways and finding spots that allowed dogs, or going without him. Either way, I'm not going to take him on trails that don't allow dogs, just to start trouble with Park Rangers.

As a dog owner and National Park enthusiast I hate seeing dog shit on trails (or anywhere really) and off-leash dogs in places where that clearly isn't allowed. It makes all dog owners look like shitheads. People want to keep dogs out of more and more places because of bad dog owners, so I have an interest (as we all should) in curbing (pardon the pun) those bad behaviors. I also have a dog that was attacked by an off-leash dog in a state park so I'm more than a bit sensitive to it. Oregon is notorious for people (old hippies mostly) who think they have voice control over their dogs when they clearly don't, with dogs running off-leash all over the place. These people insist their dogs need to run free everywhere they go. There is no convincing them otherwise until their dogs are hurt or hurt something else.

Please excuse me if I came across a little harsh. It's a bit of a pet-peeve (sorry, another unintentional pun) of mine. Were I in your place I would leave the pup at home. There are a lot of unknowns on a trip like that and bringing a dog is just another complication. Plus, most dogs would be just as happy with a ride to the local off-leash dog park. Dogs aren't impressed with natural splendor so much, at least not in my experience :)

2021-02-07 11.52.48.jpg

Saboltoothtiger is right. I might add that there are many State Parks that will rival National Parks in scenery and
accomadations.
In my backyard is Custer State Park which will is almost like a mini Yellowstone minus the geysers. In This state park
you can hike to Mount Coolidge with your dog and from that point you can see Mt Rushmore , The Badlands ,
Wyoming , Nebraska and Crazy Horse Memorial which will dwarf Mt Rushmore.
Many state parks are less crowded anyways and offer just as good a venue.

As a dog owner and National Park enthusiast I hate seeing dog shit on trails (or anywhere really) and off-leash dogs in places where that clearly isn't allowed. It makes all dog owners look like shitheads. People want to keep dogs out of more and more places because of bad dog owners, so I have an interest (as we all should) in curbing (pardon the pun) those bad behaviors. I also have a dog that was attacked by an off-leash dog in a state park so I'm more than a bit sensitive to it. Oregon is notorious for people (old hippies mostly) who think they have voice control over their dogs when they clearly don't, with dogs running off-leash all over the place. These people insist their dogs need to run free everywhere they go. There is no convincing them otherwise until their dogs are hurt or hurt something else.

Please excuse me if I came across a little harsh. It's a bit of a pet-peeve (sorry, another unintentional pun) of mine. Were I in your place I would leave the pup at home. There are a lot of unknowns on a trip like that and bringing a dog is just another complication. Plus, most dogs would be just as happy with a ride to the local off-leash dog park. Dogs aren't impressed with natural splendor so much, at least not in my experience :)

2021-02-07 11.52.48.jpg
1612736721835.png

Coming from somebody that had his wrist and finger broken, then had to spend 3 days in a hospital due to infection, I took your post the correct way. This was from my Aunt's dog that was supposed to be fine around other dogs, and snuck up to attack mine when he was hanging by me surrounded be elderly or pregnant women.... it was a July 4th party to remember.

I know he'll complicate it, but I'm hoping to be gone for a month or more. Spending days working from a motel or something, and other days exploring. I'd feel bad leaving him with my parents for that long; along with the fact mine gets walked ~4 miles per day and I don't want to burden my parents with that for THAT long.

And you have a Shepherd, you know just how loyal those guys are. He would much rather spend the time in a car with me than he would with anybody else.

1612736721835.png

Coming from somebody that had his wrist and finger broken, then had to spend 3 days in a hospital due to infection, I took your post the correct way. This was from my Aunt's dog that was supposed to be fine around other dogs, and snuck up to attack mine when he was hanging by me surrounded be elderly or pregnant women.... it was a July 4th party to remember.

I know he'll complicate it, but I'm hoping to be gone for a month or more. Spending days working from a motel or something, and other days exploring. I'd feel bad leaving him with my parents for that long; along with the fact mine gets walked ~4 miles per day and I don't want to burden my parents with that for THAT long.

And you have a Shepherd, you know just how loyal those guys are. He would much rather spend the time in a car with me than he would with anybody else.
Dang! That's crazy!!

As for GSDs, I know how mine is. Neurotic as fuck :)

Good luck on your trip and if you end up around Oregon PM me for some good spots.

Have you considered calling the ranger stations in said parks and asking if they allow Emotional support animals? If they do, then prepare accordingly. Im going to Utah next year to travel the national parks and Im taking my dog. Regardless, my dog is coming with me.

Have you considered calling the ranger stations in said parks and asking if they allow Emotional support animals? If they do, then prepare accordingly. Im going to Utah next year to travel the national parks and Im taking my dog. Regardless, my dog is coming with me.
Nah, I would never wrongfully get my dog labelled as emotional support dog. That's a dick move unless you are REALLY helped by the dog, which I am not. There are plenty of awesome places that don't have those rules.

My trip was months ago at this point. I flew out and travelled around in my brother's car instead. All of the National Parks in UT were so overly packed, that we didn't actually go to any of them. Couldn't imagine dealing with a dog inside of any of those parks. Yellowstone was the only awesome NP, and you spend all of the time in your car driving around there, anyway.

Happy to share pictures/tips for places that I did go, and nearly everywhere allowed dogs. The State Parks and BLM areas ended up being much more fun to explore, and that was even in a stock Crosstrek

Back