• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

VOODOO MAX MODULAR URTC RACK FOR TONNEAU COVERS

sorry

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Ordered a rack from this company and it's owner, Chad Stephenson. I had read reviews prior to purchasing which detailed issues with the powder-coating of their products (a process which prevents rust and corrosion of bare steel). I was assured this issue had been resolved after continuing to do more research on the issue, and promptly placed an order for a rack system. Upon receiving the rack system, I discovered that necessary metal spacers were missing from the package. To this, Chad promptly delivered more to me the next week. The second observation made was the numerous spots in which the powder coating was flaking off of the metal. I sent Chad another email and was told to apply a small covering of marker/paint to the affected spots. Fast forward two months and the entire rack is covered in rust from where other portions of the powder coat had flaked off. Not only this, but the rack itself had loosened in nearly every spot, resulting in a flimsy and very squeeky rack - a farcry from the "300lb, roof top tent capable, dynamic load" rating advertised on his website. After tightening the screws to no avail, I sent yet another email to Chad expressing my disappointment in the powdercoat and structural integrity of the rather expensive rack. In a rather brief email response back, I was told to "tighten the screws and buy some more semi-gloss paint" in addition to "I was the only one having this issue", despite reading at least a handful of other similar complaints. At this point, I am down 1,500 dollars with a hunk of metal rack system in my garage. The unprofessional tone and lack of responsibility for his own products left me with such a bitter taste in my mouth that I HAD to write reviews and spread my experience to as many places as possible. Very disappointed in this company, it's owner, and his ethics.

The rack I ordered was the URTC for tri-fold tonneau covers. It is no longer available on their website, but other models of the same line are.

Last edited:
That’s a shame to hear. Was this ever resolved?

I guess if worst case you could sand down and paint the rack with raptor liner.

I had the loosening issue with mine as well, but just added some blue loctite to the screws that mount to the bed rails. Haven’t had any issues or rattling in over a year since I did that.
As far as the rust, it is thin metal and I’ve noticed some spots on there too. In the two years I’ve had the rack, I’ve never worried about structural integrity with the rack and all my accessories attached.
I did have an issue yesterday with one of the side rails. I’ve had the hi-lift mounted, and noticed the metal splitting from being knocked around. I contacted them on IG, and they immediately responded and said they will send me a replacement piece since they re-designed the rack recently. I felt that was pretty huge considering the rack is old and has been put through the ringer. They seemed like they were pretty supportive and wanted to rectify the situation. 8EDE7549-AE92-425B-A1A6-56EF884057B5.jpegB7C9D1C8-2D09-4578-9F19-1B026F9EFFF9.jpeg

Back