• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

OVTune VF Tuner | OVTune - Tacoma ECU flash tune options and feedback

:oops:

I’ve always found the tuning process to be very confusing. Flashing the truck (the final step) is fine, but everything leading up to that part was always a mess, IMO.
Understandable

I have the master key already. So I can use the old orange device that I already have?

Edit: I don’t even know if I put the Tactrix adaptor on this order. Let me see…
As long as you have the new info for VFTuner, you're good to go. I did the same $79 upgrade.
Used the same dongle/cable from OVTune. VFTuner software is a little different from how OVTune would flash. But still pretty simple.
The $79 upgrade won't send you anything physically in the mail. Just have to hit them up on Zendesk with order number and your info.
Once that's setup, you're ready. Credit your VIN and you can flash. I know they changed some things with ECU ID's where they would take credits to view files. Doesn't charged credits so you'll end up with a couple random credits just chilling on the account.
The only thing I can think of after the purchase if the final/2.0 files. Hit their Zendesk, once they verify, they'll just send you a link.
I might have to ask you about that.

This one:
20200113_094025.jpg

I posted the VFTuner Manual on this post.

I always reference back to it for every flash.

Last edited:
Sweet! So this whole time I could’ve done this already but I was needlessly waiting for nothing because I’m an idiot.

Looks like I’ll be flashing my truck tomorrow!

Sweet! So this whole time I could’ve done this already but I was needlessly waiting for nothing because I’m an idiot.

Looks like I’ll be flashing my truck tomorrow!
Sounds like it.

Usually most people would wait for the Final/2.0 tunes from VFTuner to send the link to their ECU ID. But if you're flashing Valley Runner, you don't even need those files because you can just flash Valley Runner.

Sounds like it.

Usually most people would wait for the Final/2.0 tunes from VFTuner to send the link to their ECU ID. But if you're flashing Valley Runner, you don't even need those files because you can just flash Valley Runner.
Yeah, I didn’t get those files anyway. Mat just sent me my master key with instructions to download the software on the homepage of his website. And that should be all I’ll need.

Yeah, I didn’t get those files anyway. Mat just sent me my master key with instructions to download the software on the homepage of his website. And that should be all I’ll need.
Correct. It looks like you’re good to go.

Setup the software with your master key, install the latest OpenPort drivers (VFTuner help tab at the top of the software has a link for it), connect your cable and flash the VR files we made for your truck.

(y)

Correct. It looks like you’re good to go.

Setup the software with your master key, install the latest OpenPort drivers (VFTuner help tab at the top of the software has a link for it), connect your cable and flash the VR files we made for your truck.

(y)
I know there is an intake/exhaust option. Sorry if I asked before. Is there anything tuning-wise to improve with a Y-Pipe?

Did you buy OVTune? If so, how are you liking it? Any bugs?

I know it is on my eventually list, but to be honest, I don't even hate the stock tune as much as most people. It definitely could be better though.
I did the KD Max Tune. What a difference. It shifts like it should have from the factory and very much like my 2008 4Runner. The Toyota shift algorithm is horrible and why they continue to stay with it is a mystery. It doesn't help gas mileage and, I would think at some point, cause more wear and tear on the transmission. I have approx 1500 miles on the tune a mixture of highway, local, and one towing trip. The tow load was about 3500lbs and handled it much better than it did prior to the tune.

I know there is an intake/exhaust option. Sorry if I asked before. Is there anything tuning-wise to improve with a Y-Pipe?
We have eliminated the exhaust option with the v2.1 update.

v2.1 is octane independent, meaning that you can run 86-93 without issue on a single tune. To accomplish this, we found middle ground on the exhaust timings that also accommodates exhaust mods for reduced back pressure

I’m leaning towards a KDMAXX or Valley tune.
My Toyota dealer turned off the seatbelt chimes on my truck. Will this setting be lost if a new tune is flashed to the ECU, or is it a separate thing altogether?

I’m leaning towards a KDMAXX or Valley tune.
My Toyota dealer turned off the seatbelt chimes on my truck. Will this setting be lost if a new tune is flashed to the ECU, or is it a separate thing altogether?
That's separate

YotaWerx Tuning is also still looking for some more testers for the new tune we've been working with.

Please note that this tune is not at all intended to compete with KD, CVC, VR, etc in terms of aggressiveness or power, it is not intended to hold gears longer for the purposes of valiantly climbing up mountain passes without downshifting, it is not the ultimate tune to fully unlock the potential of your truck.

The tune is deliberately more along the lines of OVTune, or somewhere in between OVTune 2.0 and what Coyoza was. Incidentally, it seems that it may be a possible "eco-tune" on accident lol. The tune is 100% a drivability tune in the same vein as the goal for OVT 2.0, but we have made efforts to provide refinement just like with our other tunes.

If this seems like something you're interested in trying out and giving feedback on, please reach out to us.

If you have a heavy truck and wish to test, please manage expectations.

We have our YotaWerx thread here on this forum, as well as on TW, and we can also be reached on social media (Facebook and IG).

Last question before I flash (hopefully)…

Does this thread about ECU TSB updates pertain to me? Or can I basically ignore the info in this thread?

Last question before I flash (hopefully)…

Does this thread about ECU TSB updates pertain to me? Or can I basically ignore the info in this thread?

What's your ECU version? If it's up to date, then no. If you're not updated and your provided tune is an updated version (likely), then yes.

What's your ECU version? If it's up to date, then no. If you're not updated and your provided tune is an updated version (likely), then yes.
Will my ECU version show on the software? I haven’t gone through the instruction manual yet, I’m just getting prepared.

I know with the original OVTune, you’d get your ECU version from the software.

Will my ECU version show on the software? I haven’t gone through the instruction manual yet, I’m just getting prepared.

I know with the original OVTune, you’d get your ECU version from the software.
Yes, you'll hit Prepare ECU with an internet connection (required) and it'll tell you your ECU version

Cool. And what is the cable type for the orange device? I gotta see if I still have one of those because I’m just realizing I don’t think I do. The one that came with the device died a few years ago.

I got the wire and flashed the truck. About to go test drive it.

Can I use the software to see the tune that I flashed just to ensure it did change? “Read ECU” wasn’t working for that.

Can I use the software to see the tune that I flashed just to ensure it did change? “Read ECU” wasn’t working for that.
Holy crap. It’s immediately obvious I’m on my new @TermLimits tune, the second I hit the skinny! 😍

I’m looking for an OV Tune on my 2021 TRD Off Road. Any shop that does this near San Antonio or Austin TX?

I’m looking for an OV Tune on my 2021 TRD Off Road. Any shop that does this near San Antonio or Austin TX?
I believe we received your request through the website not too long ago as well. I'll reach out to some of my Texas and surrounding area installers and see what we can do for you.

Worst case scenario, you could always mail in your ECU for tuning and have it overnighted back to you.

I'll email you tomorrow with what I find out.

I flashed one of the OV Tunes when the truck was still stock and really enjoyed the tune. After the lift, 34s, and 5.29s I flashed the truck with the new corresponding OV Tune and was hugely disappointed with its performance. Not long after that I installed the Rough Country inline speedometer calibrator and immediately the tune starting working like it should.

Not sure if this will help anyone out there, but the difference in how the truck operated was immediately noticeable and made both purchases worth it.

I flashed one of the OV Tunes when the truck was still stock and really enjoyed the tune. After the lift, 34s, and 5.29s I flashed the truck with the new corresponding OV Tune and was hugely disappointed with its performance. Not long after that I installed the Rough Country inline speedometer calibrator and immediately the tune starting working like it should.

Not sure if this will help anyone out there, but the difference in how the truck operated was immediately noticeable and made both purchases worth it.
That's odd. So from that it sounds like the tune processes speed data from a speed output source. So it's not actual speedo, but a "tool".

I think my bike updated the odometer without calculating my sprocket change. Like it racks up miles faster.

Does the odometer go by actual or what it thinks? I guess if it's programmed for factory settings, does it go by number of rotations?
So bigger tires means you'll be going faster. Does the odometer rack up faster then? Does it get factored into miles until empty? Shower lower mpg?

@TermLimits - Can you answer this for me? :) Overthinking.

Last edited:
Holy crap. It’s immediately obvious I’m on my new @TermLimits tune, the second I hit the skinny!
I have put about 2,500 miles on the truck as of the @TermLimits tune and here’s my update.

Unfortunately, moving from the OVTune 2.0 tune to this one was a pretty significant downgrade for my use case and I need to flash back to OVTune when I can (but I don’t have my original file anymore).

The Valley Tune does pack more of a punch when you tap the gas. It feels like it might be fun for mobbing through the desert at 10-30 mph. If that’s what you’re looking for, you’d probably enjoy it.

That wasn’t what I needed though. I was looking for a tune that cruises well at highway speeds and might have better mpg than the OVTune I was using (not because I expect decent mpg with my truck, but spending less time stopping for gas is nice).

Comparing the numbers, the OVTune was better for me— someone living on the road while traveling the country:

OVTune 2.0 city mpg: 11-13.5
OVTune 2.0 highway mpg: 13-15.4

Valley Tune city mpg: 10-11
Valley Tune highway mpg: 8.5-10.3

OVTune 2.0 RPM at 65-80 mph: 2,000-2,500
Valley Tune RPM at 65-80 mph: 4,000 almost constantly

OVTune 2.0 gear hunting compared to stock: Great
Valley Tune gear hunting compared to stock: Poor (similar to stock)

This feedback is based on a very heavy truck (still need to weigh it), 5.29 gears, 37” tires. My truck isn’t meant to have nice numbers to begin with but the tunes are relative and the differences feel huge.

That's odd. So from that it sounds like the tune processes speed data from a speed output source. So it's not actual speedo, but a "tool".

I think my bike updated the odometer without calculating my sprocket change. Like it racks up miles faster.

Does the odometer go by actual or what it thinks? I guess if it's programmed for factory settings, does it go by number of rotations?
So bigger tires means you'll be going faster. Does the odometer rack up faster then? Does it get factored into miles until empty? Shower lower mpg?

@TermLimits - Can you answer this for me? :) Overthinking.
I believe these trucks calculate speed at the wheels. That being said, if ODO is ticking over much faster than it should you may have a faulty wheel speed sensor.

it will also factor into poor MPG so you’re correct there. If you roll a half mile and the truck thinks you made it 1mi, you just halved your MPG
I have put about 2,500 miles on the truck as of the @TermLimits tune and here’s my update.

Unfortunately, moving from the OVTune 2.0 tune to this one was a pretty significant downgrade for my use case and I need to flash back to OVTune when I can (but I don’t have my original file anymore).

The Valley Tune does pack more of a punch when you tap the gas. It feels like it might be fun for mobbing through the desert at 10-30 mph. If that’s what you’re looking for, you’d probably enjoy it.

That wasn’t what I needed though. I was looking for a tune that cruises well at highway speeds and might have better mpg than the OVTune I was using (not because I expect decent mpg with my truck, but spending less time stopping for gas is nice).

Comparing the numbers, the OVTune was better for me— someone living on the road while traveling the country:

OVTune 2.0 city mpg: 11-13.5
OVTune 2.0 highway mpg: 13-15.4

Valley Tune city mpg: 10-11
Valley Tune highway mpg: 8.5-10.3

OVTune 2.0 RPM at 65-80 mph: 2,000-2,500
Valley Tune RPM at 65-80 mph: 4,000 almost constantly

OVTune 2.0 gear hunting compared to stock: Great
Valley Tune gear hunting compared to stock: Poor (similar to stock)

This feedback is based on a very heavy truck (still need to weigh it), 5.29 gears, 37” tires. My truck isn’t meant to have nice numbers to begin with but the tunes are relative and the differences feel huge.
I asked this over on the tune thread, what version of OV 2.0 were you running beforehand?

This doesn’t sound correct for the tune and you may need a learn value reset. Typically most users complain that it’ll hang onto 5th longer than desired and refuse a downshift to 4th.

Yours sounds like it is hanging in 4th and not upshifting.

Our shift points are sooner and longer than OV2.0. The added power on light pedal application also should translate to better speeds in higher gears.

We have trucks running a full overland setup, steel bumpers, 5.29s and 36” tires who still net 16mpg on the tune.

Try going through techstream (much better for resets) and reset the learn values for engine AND transmission. Give the truck a 30-40mile break in period then.

Back