• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

OVTune VF Tuner | OVTune - Tacoma ECU flash tune options and feedback

For the ov tuning do you gotta make the tune yourself or do you just download it and its already setup??

For the ov tuning do you gotta make the tune yourself or do you just download it and its already setup??

Takes 20 minutes...most of it is just letting the truck idle after you flash the ECU and then the TCU.

Since it so quick to do, many people (me included) will download the 87 tune, try it for a tank of gas, and then do the same with the 91 tune as soon as they fill it with 91+ octane. Then some go back to 87 once they've had their fun with the extra power (but realized how much more expensive 91 can be over time). :D

Did you buy OVTune? If so, how are you liking it? Any bugs?

I know it is on my eventually list, but to be honest, I don't even hate the stock tune as much as most people. It definitely could be better though.

I have done it and I would move the mod up to your #1 mod. I ansolutely love the truck now. I have 33’s on and armor and before couldnt keep 70mph. I now cruise 80mph on freeways without issues. No weird shifting. GET IT

I have done it and I would move the mod up to your #1 mod. I ansolutely love the truck now. I have 33’s on and armor and before couldnt keep 70mph. I now cruise 80mph on freeways without issues. No weird shifting. GET IT
I’m definitely going to when I can.

installed/downloaded mine yesterday. need more time behind the wheel though. I already like the way the shifting has changed.

found a place nearby that sells ethanol free 91. think im going to get a tank of that. currently running 93

installed/downloaded mine yesterday. need more time behind the wheel though. I already like the way the shifting has changed.

found a place nearby that sells ethanol free 91. think im going to get a tank of that. currently running 93
How long did it take you to have access to install it after you made the purchase?

How long did it take you to have access to install it after you made the purchase?

Yeahhhhh. I had a few issues with that. Almost 3 months, but the issues I had are atypical

It only took me about 2 weeks (that included a week and a half of waiting for the thing to arrive). Then it only took a day for the dongle key registration followed by 20 minutes to do the actual install.

How long it has taken others in the past is no longer relevant to you or any future buyers.

Matt (OVTune) is currently working on an entirely new process this month which is why no one can place an order right now. He just switched over to a dongle-less registration process (so one less thing for him to provide from some other supplyer), and now he is working on automating the registration so that we don't have to wait on him. Basically, that means there will be less "out of stock" wait times and it also means that once you get the kit, you don't have to wait a day to register & install it.

Matt (OVTune) is currently working on an entirely new process this month which is why no one can place an order right now.
For the record, it's also because he's out of the country for tuning business. He can't fulfill any orders because he's away.

Deff dont let my wait time scare you if you are considering. I have thr dongless version. If you can read directions its a painless process. And although Mat is out of the country he has been responive to all my emails (its worthless to PM him on other boards)

Right now, people can buy the tune for 600$ and the hardware separately for $169 from the source since Mat is out of the country. Link to that hardware is available somewhere in the alpha thread on tacomaworld. If you just ask, someone will reply with it. Think i saw it posted this morning

This is definitely on my to-do list.

I thought switching from an auto to a manual would alleviate all of my driveability woes, and largely it did, but it turns out that the throttle mapping actually has more to do with the truck's behavior than I previously thought possible. It was eye-opening for me since I was always blamed the trans in my '16 (6AT) but my '18 (6MT) actually exhibits a lot of the same quirkiness.

I still feel that gearing is the #1 factor in the lackluster performance of these trucks, but the tune sounds like it really makes a dramatic difference at less than 1/3rd the cost of a regear.

This is definitely on my to-do list.

I thought switching from an auto to a manual would alleviate all of my driveability woes, and largely it did, but it turns out that the throttle mapping actually has more to do with the truck's behavior than I previously thought possible. It was eye-opening for me since I was always blamed the trans in my '16 (6AT) but my '18 (6MT) actually exhibits a lot of the same quirkiness.

I still feel that gearing is the #1 factor in the lackluster performance of these trucks, but the tune sounds like it really makes a dramatic difference at less than 1/3rd the cost of a regear.

I did gears first. I wish i did tune first because it was a performance I really feel every day. I love driving my truck now. I feel that If i tuned first i may bot of had to regear with 285/70’s. With tune and regear I have zero imprivements with mpg though. Still running 13.5-13.9 mpg.

I did gears first. I wish i did tune first because it was a performance I really feel every day. I love driving my truck now. I feel that If i tuned first i may bot of had to regear with 285/70’s. With tune and regear I have zero imprivements with mpg though. Still running 13.5-13.9 mpg.
Good to know - technically I already did a sort of re-gear, my '16 had 3.90s and taller trans ratios than my '18 with 4.30s. I think I'll be pretty satisfied overall with the new truck once I finally get this tune.

Coming from someone who has a MT, the manual trans absolutely helps you at least avoid some of the terrible and frankly dangerous (in some specific ways) quirks of the stock tune, but OVTune is the way to go nonetheless. Both for cleaning up all the sloppiness and improving the drivability overall. With a boost to power too.

Last edited:
Coming from someone who has a MT, the manual trans absolutely helps you at least avoid some of the terrible and frankly dangerous (in some specific ways) quirks of the stock tune, but OVTune is the way to go nonetheless. Both for cleaning up all the sloppiness and improving the drivability overall. With a boost to power too.
It sounds like I am going to love this tune, that's all I really want out of this truck as far as driveability is concerned.

Having both a 3rd gen automatic and a 3rd gen manual now, the transmission in my old truck really wasn't as bad as I had assumed it was. If left to its own devices, it was kind of retarded. But I always had mine in S Mode. Despite being slow and reluctant to respond to inputs, it made it a lot more bearable to drive that way. The manual has a lot going for it in the power delivery department by default... Better gearing, less parasitic loss, more control, etc. but the automatic hands down has the advantage off road thanks to the slip and torque multiplication factor of the torque converter. I am already finding myself in 4-low a lot more than I ever was in the old rig so just like anything else, there is no having your cake and eating it too. When you're crawling up and over obstacles, having a torque converter is a huge asset, but the other 98% of the time I very much prefer the stick.

It sounds like I am going to love this tune, that's all I really want out of this truck as far as driveability is concerned.

Having both a 3rd gen automatic and a 3rd gen manual now, the transmission in my old truck really wasn't as bad as I had assumed it was. If left to its own devices, it was kind of retarded. But I always had mine in S Mode. Despite being slow and reluctant to respond to inputs, it made it a lot more bearable to drive that way. The manual has a lot going for it in the power delivery department by default... Better gearing, less parasitic loss, more control, etc. but the automatic hands down has the advantage off road thanks to the slip and torque multiplication factor of the torque converter. I am already finding myself in 4-low a lot more than I ever was in the old rig so just like anything else, there is no having your cake and eating it too. When you're crawling up and over obstacles, having a torque converter is a huge asset, but the other 98% of the time I very much prefer the stick.
Was the clutch start cancel extremely handy on the trail? I would’ve went manual if they made them in long bed but now that I have the automatic I’m pretty content with it. Besides needing the OVTune to polish it up.

I off road pretty frequently and have never used CSC. If anything i use my e brake, but I'll admit i haven't been in many situations for that either. Desert terrain doesn't include a terrible amount of obstacles where those techniques and technologies are terribly necessary lol

Was the clutch start cancel extremely handy on the trail? I would’ve went manual if they made them in long bed but now that I have the automatic I’m pretty content with it. Besides needing the OVTune to polish it up.
I off road pretty frequently and have never used CSC. If anything i use my e brake, but I'll admit i haven't been in many situations for that either. Desert terrain doesn't include a terrible amount of obstacles where those techniques and technologies are terribly necessary lol
Our deserts are very different haha. I've used the e-brake and 4-low every time I've gone out with the new truck so far. I have not used clutch start cancel yet with this truck but I did many times with my 5-speed 2nd Gen regular cab. The starter doesn't have enough torque to get you up really steep obstacles, however, so 4-low, fancy footwork and the e-brake are still a stick crawler's best friends.

Our deserts are very different haha
My desert is mostly sand. Can do some hill climbs out at the Wall (local spot...literally a wall of hard dirt) but everything else is washboard trails and sand. At least close to El Paso. Gotta go further into the desert for the types of trails you're describing.

My desert is mostly sand. Can do some hill climbs out at the Wall (local spot...literally a wall of hard dirt) but everything else is washboard trails and sand. At least close to El Paso. Gotta go further into the desert for the types of trails you're describing.
We're lucky, Central AZ is mostly rocks, mountains, washes and canyons... there isn't much flat, open land that isn't private property or Indian reservation unless you go looking for it.

If 4.88 gearing does what it's reported to do, then a tune becomes not needed. IMO.

If 4.88 gearing does what it's reported to do, then a tune becomes not needed. IMO.
Two separate issues really, gearing is gearing and the tune addresses power delivery, shifting and throttle mapping. They're both independently valuable upgrades.

Good to know - technically I already did a sort of re-gear, my '16 had 3.90s and taller trans ratios than my '18 with 4.30s. I think I'll be pretty satisfied overall with the new truck once I finally get this tune.
How big a difference do you feel the 4.30's are compared to the stock 3.90's? If I understand you correctly, I didn't realize they have different gear ratios in the manual compared to the automatic.

Anyone on the Fence about getting the OVtune, Just do it you will love it! I have re-geared to 4.88's and added the tune about 8 months ago and it has just transformed the Tacoma into a fun truck to drive again . No more gear hunting on the slightest grades. I am running 285/70/17's and i can hold 6th gear and even accelerate when on the highway without any trouble or a crazy downshift into 4th! The tune goes really well with the Gears, I am going to jump up to a 285/75/17 i have been told it drives even better with a bigger tire setup.

How big a difference do you feel the 4.30's are compared to the stock 3.90's? If I understand you correctly, I didn't realize they have different gear ratios in the manual compared to the automatic.
Huge. Not only do the diffs have lower ratios but the trans has lower ratios too, which makes for a dramatic improvement vs. my '16 with the auto. But the issue with the throttle control, response, tip-in, etc. is the same from the old truck to the new one and in some cases even more noticeable, which is where the tune comes in.

Huge. Not only do the diffs have lower ratios but the trans has lower ratios too, which makes for a dramatic improvement vs. my '16 with the auto. But the issue with the throttle control, response, tip-in, etc. is the same from the old truck to the new one and in some cases even more noticeable, which is where the tune comes in.
I'll have to wait and think a long time on this one. Don't want to go 4.30's and then decide I want to move up to 35's and 4.88's later. As always, I appreciate your advice and experience.

Back