• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Venting - FU Jiffy Lube

Asmara

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
I'm on a huge cross-country road trip (AZ, CA, OR, MT, UT, CO, TX . . . you get the idea ends in VA) in my 2021 Tacoma.

Put more than 5,000 miles on it (from 12) in the past couple of weeks. Despite that the manual says I can wait for 10K to change the oil/filter, I decided I wanted to get it done around 5K just because I would feel better about it given the short timeframe for the mileage and the mountainous terrain (sometimes high RPMs) I've been going over.

I never really arrive in a city early enough to use a Toyota dealer so I figured I would just pay out of pocket for a quick oil change at Jiffy Lube. I assumed if I went to a corporate place, I might pay more but at least it would be done properly. I was in Oklahoma City at the time and went to Jiffy Lube Multicare, Oil Change & Auto Repair, 2400 N Meridian Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73107. explained my situation, road trip, etc. Seemed like nice guys. Had the oil changed and went back to the hotel.

I heard some bad things about quick oil change places in the past and oil amounts so before I left in the morning, I checked the oil level. It was fine. Great. I looked underneath the truck and see some oil drips. Hmmmm.

It isn't a lot of oil so I thought that maybe they were messy when they pulled the filter. I grabbed some paper towels and started wiping up the splash shield - which starts flopping around. They only replaced two of the four bolts that secure it. I had to stop and pick up some bolts on my way out of town (in AK right now) to secure the splash shield. I decided to drop the whole thing and use the factory bolts in the two forward, slightly awkward positions where they left them off. When I dropped the shield, the filter housing wrench they used came tumbling down as well. I cleaned everything up but am still seeing some drips on the frame just past the splash shield. I think it is still slop oil because I felt around the filter without dropping the shield and it felt dry.

Anyway, I pain to do on a road trip so a big FU to Jiffy Lube in Oklahoma City.

I've never really been a fan of places like that. Oh the horror stories from Jiffy/Walmart about leaving drain plugs out, not filling with oil and your experience. I take mine to Toyota, as my time is more worth the $30 savings an oil change. I paid $61 out the door, 2 days ago. Knowing that my oil change was completed at a dealer who can stand behind mistakes. And if a problem arises I can get the dealer to take care of the issue, because all services are performed at the dealer.

I've never really been a fan of places like that. Oh the horror stories from Jiffy/Walmart about leaving drain plugs out, not filling with oil and your experience. I take mine to Toyota, as my time is more worth the $30 savings an oil change. I paid $61 out the door, 2 days ago. Knowing that my oil change was completed at a dealer who can stand behind mistakes. And if a problem arises I can get the dealer to take care of the issue, because all services are performed at the dealer.
Wish I could have that confidence with my dealer. It's in a nicer area. Always cheaper now to just have the dealer do the oil change with synthetic.
Last time mine was leaking. Took it back. Got a complimentary inconvenience. Didn't get compensated for all the time I wasted or anything.

Back