• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Upgrading

Woodwrong

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Wife got tired of spinning the rear wheels on her 2009 2WD Taco, so we just made a deal on a new TRD Offroad, DCLB. Should be delivered here next week. Only the second new vehicle either of us has bought in 40 years... and the first time I've ever paid MSRP! Couldn't believe how hard it was to buy this vehicle. We tried to buy one from the local (ish - it's a 90-minute drive) dealer, agreed to a deal and made a down payment to hold it... and then they started jerking us around. When they said we had to drive over and pay for it the next day or they would sell it off the lot, we walked away; no car dealer gets to treat me like that. Another dealer 3 hours away had a better vehicle at almost the same price, no games, no jerking around, and will deliver it to me.
Anyway, pretty excited to get a new truck. Should be a nice complement to the 2010 4Runner I'm driving.

Welcome aboard.

It's a tough time to buy, for sure. But the MSRP pain will go away... enjoy the new ride!

Yeah, no dealer should play games like that. It’s a hard to come by truck right now but still, customer service should always be #1.

Congrats on the new truck, post some pics once you get it!

I tried to buy a new one for cash and the guy almost laughed me out of the dealership. Lucky for me, I found the one I have that night online and paid the price I wanted. I’ll never attempt to buy new again.

It’s here!
7BB8DAEF-E163-4ADB-92BA-565E810C16BE.jpeg

But it doesn’t seem to have Maps installed. I get a message telling me to go to the Toyota website, which I did and found no help at all.

I tried to buy a new one for cash and the guy almost laughed me out of the dealership. Lucky for me, I found the one I have that night online and paid the price I wanted. I’ll never attempt to buy new again.
You were lucky! We tried for almost six months to get a used one. The used-truck market in general is absolutely insane right now.

Found out the story on the Maps. I thought it was like the system on my 2010 4Runner where the maps are loaded on the vehicle. Alas, it's just a way to display your phone's map app onto the dash screen. Oh well.

Ordered a Redarc brake controller and am now trying to decide if I really want to tackle a CBI front hitch receiver install, or if I should pay somebody to do it. I put one on the 4Runner, but prying the plastic off this brand-new vehicle would be a bit more nerve-wracking.

It's not too bad, but does take some doing. Good luck.

It's not too bad, but does take some doing. Good luck.
There are easier options than the CBI, but they all put the receiver below the bumper. Don't have to cut the grill, maybe a little trimming on the air dam. I dunno... not planning to offroad this rig hard (that's the 4Runner's realm) but want to have that winch to get me out if I misjudge something. Maybe having it down low wouldn't be so bad.

I did cbi's hidden winch mount and am very happy. Check out my build page for the details (in my signature below).

Installed a Redarc Elite brake controller today. A lot more difficult than the same job in the 4Runner, I have to say, and not quite as neat, but it's in and working.

Back