• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

TSS sensor question after raptor grille instal

Charneydvm

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Just got my raptor grille installed on my 2021 tacoma. Looks awesome but i have a concern with the TSS sensor. After driving home for 15 minutes an alert saying the collision sensor needs to be cleaned and noticed the no sensor crash icon was on in the dash. The guy who did the work said the system is recalibrating. I restarted the car and it was gone. 15 minutes later the the warning and symbol came back for a minute and then was gone. Should i be concerned? Do not want to loose this safety feature. The grille was pictured from taco vinyl and has the TSS mount.
Thank you

Just got my raptor grille installed on my 2021 tacoma. Looks awesome but i have a concern with the TSS sensor. After driving home for 15 minutes an alert saying the collision sensor needs to be cleaned and noticed the no sensor crash icon was on in the dash. The guy who did the work said the system is recalibrating. I restarted the car and it was gone. 15 minutes later the the warning and symbol came back for a minute and then was gone. Should i be concerned? Do not want to loose this safety feature. The grille was pictured from taco vinyl and has the TSS mount.
Thank you
Might take a few miles to calibrate.

What is a Raptor grille?

I'd say make sure there isn't any build up of anything between the sensor and grille.
Also you might have to shim and angle the sensor depending on where it's at.
I didn't have any issues, but I did place some washers between the sensor and my grill.

Might take a few miles to calibrate.

What is a Raptor grille?

2016-2018_Toyota_Tacoma_Mesh_Style_Front_Grille_7_600x600.jpg

raptor-grille1_5e734dc1-14a4-4d82-9db2-eab6f726a161_2048x.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say make sure there isn't any build up of anything between the sensor and grille.
Also you might have to shim and angle the sensor depending on where it's at.
I didn't have any issues, but I did place some washers between the sensor and my grill.

2016-2018_Toyota_Tacoma_Mesh_Style_Front_Grille_7_600x600.jpg

raptor-grille1_5e734dc1-14a4-4d82-9db2-eab6f726a161_2048x.jpg
Thank you. Your truck looks awesome and somewhat familiar. Do you have a YouTube video of you installing it?
If it makes a difference i have the ajt design for sensor relocation

You should be fine. My tss is cracked and still works fine on the new grille. They're pretty resilient. Like the others said, likely just calibrating.

Nope.

Stock height.
The image from the AJT site seem to be drastically angled down.
1533440202.jpg

Is that how yours is?
Thank you for looking into it. Here are the best pictures i can get. Any thoughts. Did find one dealership that said can recalibrate if that is best

Attachments

• DE7A170A-8457-4870-94A2-E9CC9D5C6DA7.jpeg
    DE7A170A-8457-4870-94A2-E9CC9D5C6DA7.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 7D94ECAD-3444-47B4-B728-B015CFBCDAE1.jpeg
    7D94ECAD-3444-47B4-B728-B015CFBCDAE1.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 131
  • F33826AD-C36B-4589-AD3F-6F1351810440.jpeg
    F33826AD-C36B-4589-AD3F-6F1351810440.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 119
  • BE360354-AD7E-4EDF-AB7E-6886619D2364.jpeg
    BE360354-AD7E-4EDF-AB7E-6886619D2364.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 130
  • C5FF231C-1474-482B-A185-A3829624E8B7.jpeg
    C5FF231C-1474-482B-A185-A3829624E8B7.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 116
Thank you for looking into it. Here are the best pictures i can get. Any thoughts. Did find one dealership that said can recalibrate if that is best
I think it's angled down too much. Maybe if you remount it lower if there is a hole it would correct the angle. If you think about how it's angled, it senses the car in front at a pretty far distance. If it's pointed down like that the further out it tries to sense it wouldn't be able. Assuming that it would have to be pointed flat/straight forward. The purpose would be to sense the car so many car lengths ahead. At that angle, I don't think it would reach that far if that's how it works. Make sense? I could just be wrong.

I think it's angled down too much. Maybe if you remount it lower if there is a hole it would correct the angle. If you think about how it's angled, it senses the car in front at a pretty far distance. If it's pointed down like that the further out it tries to sense it wouldn't be able. Assuming that it would have to be pointed flat/straight forward. The purpose would be to sense the car so many car lengths ahead. At that angle, I don't think it would reach that far if that's how it works. Make sense? I could just be wrong.
Think getting it recalibrated by Toyota can fix it?

So this might seem a bit exaggerated and extreme. Made a picture. But it's what I think is going on. Did the TSS mount come with any adapters?
Last time I checked the radiator seemed pretty perpendicular to the ground. The factory placement of the TSS seems to be about perpendicular as well. Maybe not perfectly 90' but somewhat close. This is also assuming the sensor works by sensing directly forward from the face of the sensor and not at an upward angle.

From the picture the TSS sensor after the AJT mounts seems to be angle down a good bit. It wouldn't take much to change the distance. But from the picture it looks pretty drastic. Unless it's the lines of the radiator creating an optical illusion. I think it's a placement thing that even recalibrating can't fix.

This is just from my experience with that sensor and how I think it works. I could just be wrong about all of this.

5lknfj.jpg

Last edited:
Just looked up the grill, the lower bar on the new grill might be giving the system some fits. I installed a CBI bumper with a low hoop and the first few days I would get an errant code, but after that I never had an issue.

Just looked up the grill, the lower bar on the new grill might be giving the system some fits. I installed a CBI bumper with a low hoop and the first few days I would get an errant code, but after that I never had an issue.
The entire grill should be plastic.

@Charneydvm - Did the grill come with a TSS Sensor mount? I'm seeing a lot of them include one.
Just for troubleshooting, I would remove the TSS Sensor from the AJT mount. Zip tie it temporarily behind the grill so the face of the sensor is perpendicular to the ground. See if anything changes.

The entire grill should be plastic.

@Charneydvm - Did the grill come with a TSS Sensor mount? I'm seeing a lot of them include one.
Just for troubleshooting, I would remove the TSS Sensor from the AJT mount. Zip tie it temporarily behind the grill so the face of the sensor is perpendicular to the ground. See if anything changes.
I have install the TRD Pro Grill and the sensor cover is printed to match the grill pattern so there is no additional plastic in front of the sensor. You may want to inquire with the dealer about the sensitivity of the sensor as it relates to obstructions.

I have install the TRD Pro Grill and the sensor cover is printed to match the grill pattern so there is no additional plastic in front of the sensor. You may want to inquire with the dealer about the sensitivity of the sensor as it relates to obstructions.
Have a pic?

So this might seem a bit exaggerated and extreme. Made a picture. But it's what I think is going on. Did the TSS mount come with any adapters?
Last time I checked the radiator seemed pretty perpendicular to the ground. The factory placement of the TSS seems to be about perpendicular as well. Maybe not perfectly 90' but somewhat close. This is also assuming the sensor works by sensing directly forward from the face of the sensor and not at an upward angle.

From the picture the TSS sensor after the AJT mounts seems to be angle down a good bit. It wouldn't take much to change the distance. But from the picture it looks pretty drastic. Unless it's the lines of the radiator creating an optical illusion. I think it's a placement thing that even recalibrating can't fix.

This is just from my experience with that sensor and how I think it works. I could just be wrong about all of this.

5lknfj.jpg
thank you definitely makes sense and I really appreciate the picture. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Ida created some headaches. Though if this is the case why is it only happening during some instances? It does not seem to matter if i am going up or down incline or straight. The warning will pop up for one to three minutes here and there.

5lknfj.jpg
what do you think about this. The dash light shows pre collision sensor is off but at the same time when you toggle through the menu the dash says the sensor is on. Also in the past it has let me set the cruise control radar ( I am assuming same sensor?)
circled items to notice in blue and yellow

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 146
Thank you
I put my TRD Grill on 3 weeks ago, the TSS sensor is still on, I was also told it is a recalibrate, but the Toyota Tech told me It has to be done on their computer system.

Thank you
Just put my grill on 3 weeks ago, been waiting for the TSS calibration, called my mechanic at Toyota and he said it has to reset thru toyota computer system

Just put my grill on 3 weeks ago, been waiting for the TSS calibration, called my mechanic at Toyota and he said it has to reset thru toyota computer system
thank you for the info. Really helpful. When you say reset through the toyota system does that mean toyota has to recalibrate it?

Did you move it and try different angles? Just snug it up with zipties. Easy problem solving. Could save you money. If the issue goes away then that gives you an idea of how it needs to sit without recalibration. Has to be the placement.

Did you move it and try different angles? Just snug it up with zipties. Easy problem solving. Could save you money. If the issue goes away then that gives you an idea of how it needs to sit without recalibration. Has to be the placement.
spoke to the guy that installed it for me. The bracket does not reallly allow for any movement in the up or down direction. I can try doing the zip ties do it. It does not really move when done but I can try it

spoke to the guy that installed it for me. The bracket does not reallly allow for any movement in the up or down direction. I can try doing the zip ties do it. It does not really move when done but I can try it

I really think it's the angle of the mount. Does it look like it's angled downward? The pictures made it look that way. Didn't know if that was just the angle you took the picture at. If you just ziptie it to the grill it should be flat forward. Really think it's the angle.
Just came across this. This seems to be a minimal change. Your mount seems to change the angles drastically.

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kSBsU7gzT0

Could also try to shim it here. Do these screws attach it to the mount? If they go through the mount and secure to the sensor, shim it with a couple washers between the sensor and mount. Just seems like bad design really. Since they combined the Tacoma and Tundra mount. Might not have thought it out or tested it on a Tacoma completely. There's always small manufacturer changes. The slope or design of that bar could have been modified between model years. Have you tried contacting AJT? Maybe they've gotten similar questions about it specifically to the 2021 model and have a solution.

12.PNG

Last edited:
I really think it's the angle of the mount. Does it look like it's angled downward? The pictures made it look that way. Didn't know if that was just the angle you took the picture at. If you just ziptie it to the grill it should be flat forward. Really think it's the angle.
Just came across this. This seems to be a minimal change. Your mount seems to change the angles drastically.

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kSBsU7gzT0

Could also try to shim it here. Do these screws attach it to the mount? If they go through the mount and secure to the sensor, shim it with a couple washers between the sensor and mount. Just seems like bad design really. Since they combined the Tacoma and Tundra mount. Might not have thought it out or tested it on a Tacoma completely. There's always small manufacturer changes. The slope or design of that bar could have been modified between model years. Have you tried contacting AJT? Maybe they've gotten similar questions about it specifically to the 2021 model and have a solution.

12.PNG
thank you for the detailed response. sorry for the delay. It has been a rough couple of weeks.
I actually brought it to the dealership the other day to try for the re callibration. When I made the appointment I was very straight forward about the bracket. I talked to one of the managers he said no problem. When I got there they refused to do it. It was a waste of a lot of my time. I was pissed.
Taco Vinyl got back to me. I guess they are getting multiple complaints about the bracket. They are trying to make a new one or fix the current. I will check back in with them in 4 weeks to see if where things stand
I have nothing to good to say about AJT. All over their website they state please do not ask us for help if there are any issues with the bracket they make. I reached out to them any how and no response. How can they sell a product they don't stand behind. Complete bull
I did find another toyota service center that has no problem recalibrating the sensor using an after market bracket so if Taco vinyl does not come through i have a back up

On newer news I drop my truck off at the dealership I bought it from Tuesday. The sunroof is leaking and let A LOT of water in during Hurricane Ida. I hope they fix the problem. I am also worried it screwed up the sensor for the auto headlight setting. It straightup didn't work right for the first 30 minutes driving it after all the water came in and now is a bit off.

Back