• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

TRD Lift kit

Treadway47025

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Is anyone running the toyota trd 2" lift kit? considering it for my 21 access cab trd offroad. I like that it comes with the heritage grille too.

*My opinion*
The trd lift kit is overpriced, it says its the only lift kit that is tss compatible, I havent heard of anyone having issues with tss after lifting.
the heritage grill is a pro grill with black letters. for 1450 you can get a pretty good kit and a pro grille of ebay or one of the many people who sell them.

*My opinion*
The trd lift kit is overpriced, it says its the only lift kit that is tss compatible, I havent heard of anyone having issues with tss after lifting.
the heritage grill is a pro grill with black letters. for 1450 you can get a pretty good kit and a pro grille of ebay or one of the many people who sell them.
Im being very picky about the grille and sticking to oem and oem garnish cover. I like that the lift wont mess up my warranty and the little mounts for parking brake cables that are included. I do agree there are better suspensions available Really going back and forth on this one.

Do you have a link ? I've seen the trd pro suspension hanging up on the wall . I think there was Billstien as well. Just never really looked into it

Do you have a link ? I've seen the trd pro suspension hanging up on the wall . I think there was Billstien as well. Just never really looked into it

I just read that. I don't think it's that bad of a deal. Depending on what they charge you for labor. I'm just not sure if this kit will allow 33's to be used . There are a ton of lift kits out there.

I've been eyeballing them since I bought my truck. Flip flopping about lifting it. It's a daily driver and a weekend warrior . Nothing serious , just moderate off roading while hunting .

I just read that. I don't think it's that bad of a deal. Depending on what they charge you for labor. I'm just not sure if this kit will allow 33's to be used . There are a ton of lift kits out there.

I've been eyeballing them since I bought my truck. Flip flopping about lifting it. It's a daily driver and a weekend warrior . Nothing serious , just moderate off roading while hunting .
Have similar situation as you. Daily driver and weekend/freetime adventure mobile. haha

Go for it. I totally get the factory vibe. In your position, with a bad case of the flip-flops, you'll regret it seriously if anything is even a little wrong with your aftermarket lift. The factory lift is reasonably priced, and like you said, keeps you, no questions asked, under warranty.

One thing I dislike about that lift is the rear is a block . Does Toyota void the trucks warranty if you put on an Icon lift kit or OME ect.. ?

One thing I dislike about that lift is the rear is a block . Does Toyota void the trucks warranty if you put on an Icon lift kit or OME ect.. ?
I would think it would only void suspension related items with warranty, but I cannot guarantee it.

I've got the 1" block and it rides like stock. If it's good enough for Toyota warranty, it's good enough for me. If I was to carry stuff in the back, I would have probably gone with a AAL, or possibly airbags.

But, I have the Bilstein 5100 lift, not the TRD lift.

Last edited:
*My opinion*
I've been researching TSS issues (millimeter-wave radar sensor) because I have seen so much information/misinformation on various sites and I want to make my own one-off TSS compatible grille.

One interesting thing I found was that the TRD lift kit comes with a different TSS sensor (88210-04080) that is required to be swapped in. My theory is that this sensor is optimally calibrated/set up for the lower mounting position on the heritage grille and the raised profile of the lift. When you include the cost of a new sensor (and ask to keep the old one to resell), it brings the price down some. {screenshot from TRD Lift Kit Instructions].

Attachments

• TSS Sensor.png
    TSS Sensor.png
    184.8 KB · Views: 171
I've got the 1" block and it rides like stock. If it's good enough for Toyota warranty, it's good enough for me. If I was to carry stuff in the back, I would have probably gone with a AAL, or possibly airbags.

But, I have the Bilstein 5100 lift, not the TRD lift.
So...2021 SX 4WD access cab long bed....not building a rock crawler but forest/desert road overlander. Looking at the TRD lift for several reasons...including I bought $ the extended warranty. Anyways...currently have an aluminum topper but on order, a Hiatus pop up topper, weight about 400 + lbs. They advise extra leaf spring, or airbags. SO could anyone clue me in if the TRD lift kit would play nice with extra leaf/airbags? Yes I'd probably do this in two steps (TRD lift locally now, leaf or airbags in 8-13 months when I get the camper), but what I don't want to do is install (and pay for) TRD, then rip it all out and install $omething completely different to accommodate the camper. Old trucker but new to lifting.

Thanks!

So...2021 SX 4WD access cab long bed....not building a rock crawler but forest/desert road overlander. Looking at the TRD lift for several reasons...including I bought $ the extended warranty. Anyways...currently have an aluminum topper but on order, a Hiatus pop up topper, weight about 400 + lbs. They advise extra leaf spring, or airbags. SO could anyone clue me in if the TRD lift kit would play nice with extra leaf/airbags? Yes I'd probably do this in two steps (TRD lift locally now, leaf or airbags in 8-13 months when I get the camper), but what I don't want to do is install (and pay for) TRD, then rip it all out and install $omething completely different to accommodate the camper. Old trucker but new to lifting.

Thanks!

Gonz,
Nice build plan. Check out my build page for some suggestions. I went with Wescott's lift, which added a block for the rear, but with a decked system and a roof top tent ended up with a sagging rear leaf pack and poor ride. I upgraded to the icon rxt leaf springs, and have been very happy. You can add or remove leaves for a custom ride height and spring rate.

I think doing your trd lift to start, then planning for a potential leaf spring upgrade when you add the camper shell would be a great idea.

I want to be able to fit 33's w/o having to chop anything.

Trd lift, wescott lift.

Icon, OME, etc. do a little searching, this question has been discussed a good bit.

255/85/16 or 255/80/17 Pizza Cutters are your answer. That's my next tire, but still love my 265/75/16 Duratracs (C Load).

Many folks have just gone with pro grill when lifting. Not sure why it comes with new sensor,(1st I’ve heard of it). The “heritage “ grill just lowers sensor back to pre lift level.
I have a limited, never have any intention of trailing it, want to do a simple 2”, just hate the pro grill, yes I hate it, lol
there is someone locally who has lifted their limited 2”, and changed nothing on the tss or grill, so far no issues

Are the trd lift kits tuned any differently compared to 5100s? Or completely the same just rebranded?

Are the trd lift kits tuned any differently compared to 5100s? Or completely the same just rebranded?
Slightly different but not enough to make any sort of difference.

Bilstein makes it, so it's just made to TRD specs.
I think it's just a selling point and a way to label it TRD to increase dealership installs and labor.

Back