• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tools & Garage Thread

Lord Humongous

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2016 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Inferno
Post em up! Let's see what you working with! We all love tools so share your unique, specialized or just plain handy tools.

This is the Lufkin self centering tape measure. Its awesome for measuring tile, hanging shelves or basically any task where instantly knowing the center of your measurment.
20190604_133408.jpg

20190604_133433.jpg

Say something measures out to 29 1/4.
Look at the red marks and you instantly know 14 5/8 is the halfway point.

I dont even remember where I got this grease gun fitting. It awesome because by depressing the lever you can securely clip it on to your grease zerk for one handing operation. Really nice for tight spots like UCAs.
20190604_133514.jpg

20190604_133540.jpg

I know you’re talking about specific tools but I have a ton of them and one of my favorite purchases was my Harbor Freight box. It’s not very organized right now but it’s extremely handy to have especially when I just bring the whole thing right next to the truck.

E99593BF-7063-4FAC-9E80-3E376C40902C.jpeg

I know you’re talking about specific tools but I have a ton of them and one of my favorite purchases was my Harbor Freight box. It’s not very organized right now but it’s extremely handy to have especially when I just bring the whole thing right next to the truck.

E99593BF-7063-4FAC-9E80-3E376C40902C.jpeg
Those roller chest are nice! It's great having everything right there while your working! I have their 26" upper and lower full of stuff. I'm probably going to pickup ther 72" lower and 56" upper when I finally get around to redoing my garage.

Those roller chest are nice! It's great having everything right there while your working! I have their 26" upper and lower full of stuff. I'm probably going to pickup ther 72" lower and 56" upper when I finally get around to redoing my garage.
I’m kinda growing out of this one and when I move to NY and settle down in a new house I’m sure I’ll get something more like what you have.

I’m kinda growing out of this one and when I move to NY and settle down in a new house I’m sure I’ll get something more like what you have.
You'll be happy if you stick with the HF boxs. There actually pretty good for the price, that's why you can't use the 20 percent coupon on it lol.

Is that your garage or where you work? Very fancy.
Wish it was my garage , it's work ,I'd send pictures inside the box but super swamped tad messy tight now

i bet you beat those bolts into submission.

i’m having a real hard time with this bearing press though
437C3DE8-C0A7-42B5-9481-FEE48B4D37AA.jpeg

i bet you beat those bolts into submission.

i’m having a real hard time with this bearing press though
437C3DE8-C0A7-42B5-9481-FEE48B4D37AA.jpeg
That one can be a real bear. You gotta really hunker down to get it to seat right. Try to push as the press pushes back and it should slide into the bearing race. Have your towel ready you'll work up a sweat for sure!
fake-vagina-sex-toy-towel-holder.gif

Last edited:
That one can be a real bear. You gotta really hunker down to get it to seat right. Try to push as the press pushes back and it should slide into the bearing race. Have your towel ready you'll work up a sweat for sure!
fake-vagina-sex-toy-towel-holder.gif

should i lube the bearing race up? wondering if i it’ll go in easier. i got this pump for christmas. i’m thinking it’ll draw the lube through faster then the press should just bloop right in.

77C8A73E-41DD-495F-9223-7E17041D5E14.jpeg

You can never go wrong with a little lube, just be careful. If it's an older bearing race you may get a little rusty brown lube buildup as the new bearing goes in.

My little tip
Are you familiar with the magic hand? It's like a having an extra helper. Once you get it seated you dont want it to bloop back out. Use your extra hand to keep everything opened up and in position.

7239.png

You can never go wrong with a little lube, just be careful. If it's an older bearing race you may get a little rusty brown lube buildup as the new bearing goes in.

My little tip
Are you familiar with the magic hand? It's like a having an extra helper. Once you get it seated you dont want it to bloop back out. Use your extra hand to keep everything opened up and in position.

7239.png
gotta be careful with that it’s super easy to pull the inner race out. last thing you want to deal with is a bearing prolapse.

I’m a bit of a garage nerd so post up where you park your chariot!

Here’s mine. Bought the house in April 2019, took about 1200 sq ft down to the studs shortly after so the garage is still a work in progress. It’s a detached 3 car with an attached storage room.

Here’s the Swisstrax flooring install
E48FC0BF-A985-475A-A7F1-2205FAED3925.jpeg
EB6D80D2-EE84-413E-806E-402814618859.jpeg7F9976B2-D3EC-47F3-BD1C-3000143FC8F9.jpegD7CF0879-83CE-47B8-8667-77A5048EDB43.jpegC60C74AA-E289-444C-B0DF-055CB67FD3D8.jpegFF805A4C-DC86-419E-BCB7-44D4CA393540.jpeg34DE8E92-9CF0-4089-8D66-59B1DE91738B.jpeg

No, I'm embarrassed buy the unfinished projects and general disarray.

IMG_1900.PNG

Single car garage, home gym. Can't even park the Tacoma in the stall and close the door because of the Rogue monster lite rack. Tools? Some here or there. Or somewhere where I put them that I would remember but can't because it wasn't where I thought it was. My garage is generally in a state of: What is going on here.

The most critical tool displayed is my coffee.

Last edited:
This is pretty much my tools. There are more tucked in bins (who doesn't need a 36mm socket) deep wells and little bits in my tool chest but this is the stuff for heavy lifting. Installed my Iron Rock Off Road long arm 4" lift for my WJ using this setup all by my lonesome on the floor of this garage.

IMG_1984.jpg

IMAG0252.jpg

Do you have a build thread on that WJ?
Sadly no. This was in 2012. Drove it 75k more miles after the install and such before the transmission needed a rebuild ($3500) and 6 months after that the V8 was not looking too good. Sold in 2015 in running condition.

Who makes the rollerboard for getting under stuff? That one looks well made and you've reminded me that my mallets have gone missing since the last move.

Back