• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Shocks or Regear?

SilverBullet3g

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2017 Sport DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum life so I hope I’m doing this right. So I have a 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 with 35x18x12.5 Atturos with a 6” Pro Comp Lift. So I got the truck in 2018 and have been driving it every since mainly on highways about a 3 hour trip to and from my hometown and my university. I have noticed every since the first night I bought the truck it didn’t ride smooth. I didn’t realize how weak the tacoma motor is or I wouldn’t have bought the truck. It seems to not take bumps very well and also the acceleration of the truck is very sluggish. After looking online, I have found that the two main things I can do is get a regear kit such as Nitro or get a high quality suspension setup such as King or Fox. The only other option would be to get a Pedal Commander or some other sort of tune but I honestly don’t trust tunes very much. Should I spend thousands on a regear and suspension setup and will those two things actually fix it or should I just convert the truck back to stock lift or trade it in for a new Ford/Chevy? Truck only has 70k on it and I don’t really wanna get rid of it but the ride quality is too bad honestly, I gotta do something soon. I know it’s a lot but thanks!

IMO, ride quality will suffer with larger tires, especially with something like MTs. It may take a couple thousand miles for the tires to soften up, but what are your tire pressures set at? If they're high, you might consider lowering them so they cushion around bumps a little more. Yes, a high quality lift like King or Fox will help with ride quality, but this can also be achieved with other brands. There's a balance between lift components and what you're trying to achieve in your truck.

As far as the sluggishness, for sure the re-gear will help tremendously, plus an OVTune. Especially since you're at 35s. Tacoma's gear ratio from the factory isn't all that great to begin with and you should look into getting 5.29 gears with those 35s.

IMO, ride quality will suffer with larger tires, especially with something like MTs. It may take a couple thousand miles for the tires to soften up, but what are your tire pressures set at? If they're high, you might consider lowering them so they cushion around bumps a little more. Yes, a high quality lift like King or Fox will help with ride quality, but this can also be achieved with other brands. There's a balance between lift components and what you're trying to achieve in your truck.

As far as the sluggishness, for sure the re-gear will help tremendously, plus an OVTune. Especially since you're at 35s. Tacoma's gear ratio from the factory isn't all that great to begin with and you should look into getting 5.29 gears with those 35s.
Ok. Honestly I thought I should do the shocks first because I feel as tho the way it takes bumps is way worse of a problem than the sluggishness, maybe because I have a K&N intake and supposedly TRD exhaust.
As far as getting an OVTune, don’t you have to go to California to get it? I live in Mississippi btw.

Ok. Honestly I thought I should do the shocks first because I feel as tho the way it takes bumps is way worse of a problem than the sluggishness, maybe because I have a K&N intake and supposedly TRD exhaust.
As far as getting an OVTune, don’t you have to go to California to get it? I live in Mississippi btw.

OVTune can be done anywhere and by anyone if you decide the buy the kit and license. However, I know there is at least one person down south that may be authorized to run OVTune for others. I'm in Dallas and I know @Mr. Nobody has plans to make it down here some time this year, so I'm waiting for him to do my OVTune for me, rather than buying the kit, it's cheaper this way.

Ok. Is there a reason why you should regear before you get shocks?

The sluggishness of your truck is mainly due to you getting larger tires. The ratio between the diameter of your tires and the gears in the axle are not proportionally efficient. Re-gear is usually an after thought for most people and is normally the last mod most people do; however, once they get the re-gear, they wish they had done it earlier. It's just a matter of opinion. At the same time, you don't want a high gear ratio and small tires because you'll be cruising at higher RPMs and that won't be efficient either. IMO, re-gear should come hand in hand along with the build and/or going up to a larger tire, especially 35s, and adding weight to the truck.

4.88 gears are really great gears for our Tacomas if you're at or close to stock, don't have much extra weight on your truck, and don't plan to go larger than 33" tires. 5.29s are great for Tacomas that are armored up, RTT, winch, etc. and tires larger than 33".

Nitro, and 3Cent has been spot on as well.. I'm also saying 5;29 nitros, and that truck will change dramatically.
its not that toyo's engines are week. they are governed, and need to be untapped. Granted, bigger trucks have alot more power, also half less of options/upgrades that you can get in a Toyo as well. My brother has a 2021 F-450 Dually, that has enough torque and horsepower to tear a house down. and basically had no options ,base truck, and it was still 70 g. Plus a Toyo will fit into some tight trails bigger trucks cant access. I have the same truck as you, and granted. I am know fan of the transmission, esp, in hill or mountainous terrain, which is why I already have my nitro fix, scheduled. just awaiting parts to come in

Back