• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tires .....new 2021 TRD Off Road

IDAHO1811

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
The new Tacoma arrived this Tuesday. It came with Goodyear Wrangler 245/75R16. I drove it and was surprised in how good it handled. Can you folks
tell me if I should keep them? This is my 4th Tacoma, and for many years I would just go from the dealership to my local Les Schwab and have a set of Toyos
put on. Then when they started making the Back Country as their "house" tire I started using them. I don't like running P tires on my rig because I go into Owyhees here in southern Idaho. We had an outfitting business Owyhee Expeditions for more than 10 years. Lots of rock and other hazards for tires.

Have there been any issues in your experience Pro or Con with these two brands?

Best to you Mike

Sounds like Christmas came early. I’m running Toyo 255/85x16 MT and love them.

The wranglers are reasonably good tires. I ran them to about 25k miles on my 2016 and then my 2020. However, both times I replaced all 5 tires after one got a flat, both due to a large screw in the middle of the tread.

I'm usually looking for an excuse to upgrade my tires, hence replacing instead of just repairing. But I've run the stock Goodyear wranglers in snow, light mud, trails, rocks sand, and of course plenty of highway and city driving. They handle well, and are good tires.

I agree with Biohazard. If for no other reason it gives you a constant. with no variations you will find it easier troubleshooting all the new features and functions. as soon as you add tires or gears even a roof rack will change the whole paradigm.

I replaced my 265/70/16 Kevlar "Highway tires" with 265/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs. Absolutely love them, and they look great. Very aggressive thread, yet surprisingly a relatively quiet tire.

Go wranglers. Did a lot of adventures with them, and lots of highway driving. They do quite well in the snow (upstate NY experience to back that up!), as well as everywhere else except goopy mud and razor sharp rocks.

Attachments

• 60AD9803-9AAE-4EF4-AF86-73C275BA2263.jpeg
    60AD9803-9AAE-4EF4-AF86-73C275BA2263.jpeg
    431.5 KB · Views: 49
Some brands are only as good as the support you get from the tire shop. I personally like brand name tires and not in house special tires. I know the Owhyees and am surprised you don’t run something beefier. 255/80r17 and 255/85r16 is a fantastic size on these trucks.

Some brands are only as good as the support you get from the tire shop. I personally like brand name tires and not in house special tires. I know the Owhyees and am surprised you don’t run something beefier. 255/80r17 and 255/85r16 is a fantastic size on these trucks.
Can you run 255/85-16's on a stock setup? I'm looking for a beefier tire and don't want to lift or cut.

My factory tires ….coffee land roads and highways…less than 9,000 miles…worn out….
Now I got brand new AT BFG’S , 275/70R/17….2.5 lift…
My factory stock shocks oftens bottom out on our coffee land road with some ruts….
Nice to have a firmer suspension…Bilstein 6112 front and 5160 rear with icon add-a-lift
Congrats on you new Tacoma!
Aloha

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you run 255/85-16's on a stock setup? I'm looking for a beefier tire and don't want to lift or cut.
I've heard they fit on the stock rims, but some aftermarket rims will rub, depending on their offset.

That's my next tire purchase, but I already have a 2/1" 5100 Lift. (Highly recommend it)

Tits

Last edited:
I just put stock size Wild Peaks on my truck. I think they are plenty beefy.
Where did you get them? I haven't heard of Wild Peaks. I usually buy from Discount Tire Direct and have my tires installed locally. I was looking at General Grabbers or Cooper AT3's. I'd like to see those for comparison.

Where did you get them? I haven't heard of Wild Peaks. I usually buy from Discount Tire Direct and have my tires installed locally. I was looking at General Grabbers or Cooper AT3's. I'd like to see those for comparison.
Falken Wildpeaks AT3. Order em online and ship to you. Have em installed locally. Great tire!

Got mine at Discount Tire.

Back