• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tire Wear and UCAs

NTX.TACOTRUK

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
So, as a newbie to IFS (only had solid axles until now) and reading all these threads on here and others, is the general consensus that if your lift is larger that 1-2", UCAs are a necessary upgrade to maintain correct/even tire wear? I've had this truck 5 months and even with rotations, I now need new tires. They're wearing out on the inside front edge. Truck has stock UCAs with a 4" Pro Comp lift, 35s.
Also when I'm on the the pavement, my front end likes to bob up and down on large bumps, thinking time for new front shocks?
Thoughts?

You're probably suffering from bump steer since you're on stock UCAs.

If bad shocks you should be able to spot oil leaks.

I'm also wondering when I replace my UCAs if I don't want to replace the springs too and get rid of the spacer. Different seeing rate might help with the bigger tires over the stock ones?

Attachments

• IMG_20190524_133749.jpg
    IMG_20190524_133749.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_20190524_133755.jpg
    IMG_20190524_133755.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 103
I'm also wondering when I replace my UCAs if I don't want to replace the springs too and get rid of the spacer. Different seeing rate might help with the bigger tires over the stock ones?
Wow, that's a big spacer...

That's your problem by the way. Something in there is bent.

1558723835513.png

You need to ditch this setup ASAP. I’ve never seen a spacer that big and your coil is bent. It seems dangerous and it is obviously bad for you truck as you already know.

A UCA kit with a set of coilovers is not too expensive for the safety and performance you’ll gain. Look for the SPC Light Racing UCAs, OME 887 or 888 springs, and Bilstein 5100 shocks if you want to save money. It won’t give you the 4” that you have now and you’ll be stuffing your 35s but it’ll be 100x better than what you have now.

If you can spend more, do it. That way you can have extra height and adjustability. But I think you really need to make a change here.

Do you have a link to the 4” Pro Comp “lift” you installed? I want to see what they advertised it as. What you have is not really a suspension lift IMO.

You've got a number of serious issues going on, combined they'll only lead to things getting worse.

If you want that big of a lift you're going to need to get a better setup because as it stands you're risking serious damage to a number of the stock components.

First off you need UCA's. SPC makes a highly adjustable set that will get you back into alignment. Next you are at a real risk of damaging your shocks as they are sitting at the long end of the stroke at rest. Any off-roading where you extend the shock any more and you risk hyperextension of the shock and they'll fail. Sounds nuts but yes it's happened, in short you need shocks. On top of that, the height you're sitting at places a sever angle on your CV joints/boots. Without aftermarket boots you'll likely tear your CV boots in a very short time. Without addressing those issues you are risking serious damage to your CV joints, ball joints, and God knows what else.

Back