• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tire Pressure - Daily Driving

bonifacio

8️⃣ Paragon
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Website
www.bracestraps.com
2019 TRD OR
Cement
Does tire size dictate the tire pressure?
What size tires do you have and what pressure do you run for daily driving?

I'm on 265/75/16. It seems to sit at 32psi. Was at 36psi when it was warmer out.

Should you go higher if you have more weight?

Yes! More weight needs more air to stabilize that tread for best handling and wear!

My stock tires are 265/70/R16’s. The tires read 51psi max, the plate inside the driver’s door reads 30psi cold for all 4 tires, and I run them at 32psi cold.

If you go with bigger tires and/or add weight to your stock vehicle, how do you know how to adjust (increase) tire pressure? Is there a cheat sheet for this?

Great subject….one BFG Web site , base on tire size mentions 275/70r/17 MAX is 80 lbs..? Wow.. ? Um?
I thought it should be around 32-35 lbs? Highways.. should be on what your total weight is I think?
Most of my other vehicles..I run 32-35 lbs… highways

I like this feature of the TPMS- tire pressure monitor…living on a dirt farm roads…I hardly notice that I had a very, very slow leak on passenger rear tire…(it rain a lot..lots of mud…not level road..many times you will not notice the tire is getting flatter…the TPMS…save me couple of times…(lights up on the dash) I just fill it up…a few weeks later…it reminds you …low tire pressure…
Finally got new and bigger tires….my factory stocks tires ..didn’t make it 10,000 Miles…very worn out and I had tire rotation every year…part of the maintenance package…

Air …so important…. Survival rule the three -3’s….most people cannot survive 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food….

What do you consider the main 3’s for off roaders? … for fun here…
Aloha,

Last edited by a moderator:
Great subject….one BFG Web site , base on tire size mentions 275/70r/17 MAX is 80 lbs..? Wow.. ? Um?
I thought it should be around 32-35 lbs? Highways.. should be on what your total weight is I think?
Most of my other vehicles..I run 32-35 lbs… highways…
Aloha
Yes! I have the same size tires and had read on the side of the tire "Max cold pressure, 80psi". I had never run tires at that pressure, not even bicycle tires! I run them at 40-45psi on the highway.

My stock tires are 265/70/R16’s. The tires read 51psi max, the plate inside the driver’s door reads 30psi cold for all 4 tires, and I run them at 32psi cold.

If you go with bigger tires and/or add weight to your stock vehicle, how do you know how to adjust (increase) tire pressure? Is there a cheat sheet for this?

Came across this.

I'm gonna guess...

Sport - P265/65/17 - 29-30 psi
Off Road - P265/70/16 - 30 psi
Access Cabs being different and higher.

P265/70/16 to LT265/75/16

So I'll up it to 35-40 psi. So I guess that explains where I lost a chunk of my mileage. We'll see how it turns out.

1636283289103.png

1636282595761.png

Last edited:
Max pressure depends on casing rating. P-Metric are for lower weight vehicles and have lower max pressure. LT have several different ratings like C, D and E. E rated tires are suitable for a HD truck and can hold on the order of 3000# per tire at 80 psi.

I run my E rated tired between 35 and 40 depending on weight.

The test is to chalk line your tire and set the pressure so that it leaves an even mark on the ground. I've never taken the time to do this, but you can do it with dust/dirt as well. If you drive over dirty pavement and then don't have an even coating on the tire then you're too low/high.

-M

I've experimented a lot with pressure relative to weight and/or tire size.

With my 7500 lb truck and 37" tires, and 10,000+ miles of experimenting, I like to be at around 48 psi in the rear and 42 psi in the front. Of course, it fluctuates with temperature and elevation.

I stick to the higher side of those for long distance road driving. But because we live in the truck and are regularly on dirt roads, rocky roads, and actual off road trails, I sometimes stay at around 35 psi for front and rear for a good on/off road ride.

For airing down for actual off road trails that most people would use 8-15 psi for, I'd probably be at 25 psi with my setup.

Back