• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

The worst factory add ons?

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
OK ..I found this factory add on ..as the WORST Toyota design ever…when in use …VERY NOISEY…..extreme NOISEY…The Factory roof RACKS!!!
I order it and added ski racks with wind defector…to hold my long fishing gaffs, pole nets & fishing rods…they work great for me…but still NOISEY!

I could not believe TOYOTA corporation did not do noise wind tests on there roof racks when in use….I was so disappointed…even the sale people were unaware?
I like the idea of fold away…and the looks…BUT …the wind noises is very annoying!
From what I see..most Tacomas owners do not add factory roof racks …SMART!

They make a great place for fishing rod holders w/ ski racking…fits my purpose…. All my other trucks had aftermarket roof racks…and were quieter…

Toyota? There engineering? Especially the roof racking..I think they could have done a better job…? Even there mirrors if one inch bigger all around …like the Tundra size? ..I been driving a 2002 Tundra…those mirrors superior over the Tacomas mirrors…
Aloha. …

You would think with all there Toyota engineers…they could have found ways to fix the noise problem roof racks gives off.. Why make yours one of the worst producing noise makers?

Toyota designs and shapes of roof racks …you would want to be best or greater then the rest?
Disappointing for sure..to be average….?
Aloha

Hell, you don’t even get up to freeway speeds. Believe me, at 70 mph they SING.

Although I wasn’t really complaining about the noise in my case.

The roof racks might be noisy, but what about the Trail Edition? Gotta love those flimsy bed boxes.

I have a rack on my topper and it's not that loud back there.

Is it loud without all the stuff on the rack?

They're out there. The only reason I know is because I always find the bed boxes for sale on market place when I'm looking for Tacoma parts
So you can take the boxes out and have a normal bed? Do they just mount to the bed rails?

I would imagine they just mount to the bed rail track and you can pull them out when you don't need them
Makes sense. When I saw the Trail Edition teased in a video a year or so ago, I assumed it was a whole different bed. Kind of like the beds that have built in storage on the Ram trucks.

I saw some for sale on Craigslist.

At least the wind noise is quieter than a Mud tire..lol. Hum…hum..hum..the noise of the wind…when roof rack is in use…
Aloha

2015 Tacoma trailer hitch wire connectors were mounted under the bumber next hitch…So many were torn off while off roading …One more “BAD” design ….
2016 & up they move it up inside the bumber…the connectors….
Aloha

The whole “tech” package
Soft rear spring pack
Plastic bumpers
Stupid Wrangler Kevlar tires

I AGREE with the plastic bumpers….I was very disappointed both ends are plastics!

I have a custom homemade platform that slides into the hitch …rise approx two feet higher for off roading…almost to height of the top of tailgate..compare to the average platforms, sits same height as hitch.. , I will use the ends of the bumpers help stableize the platform…can’ use those turnbuckles on the plastic bumpers!

Did you see the video of the guys Tacoma bumpers get rip apart…going up a hill ? Then they made a video of installing a all medal bumper!

I always believe bumpers were made for protection? Is Toyota going cheap? Is it more about saving weight? After using the composite bed…I prefer a all metal ones!
Aloha

Spacers ..is a very “cheap way to a lift” ….and the off road performance seems to match..?
For mall drivers…I hear it is an OK thing…?

Back