• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

The stages of denial

HandyMatt

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
I’m sure there is a group on here for addiction, if not, there will soon be. I’m in the beginning stages, as a new owner of a slightly used 2019 Off-Road Taco ShortBed, so far I like it! Have fallen down so many rabbit holes 🕳️ looking up modifications and accessories, it’s sickening. But, here I am accepting my denial and hoping to find some good answers within the forums. In advance, I’d like to say hello and thank you for future hints, tips and tricks to questions that I might have. I will for sure be using the forum search engine, prior to posting questions.

I'm at the stage of learned helplessness :)

In all seriousness, just set a budget, don't go into debt to do mods, spend more time playing with it than you do spending money on it. It is astoundingly capable stock despite not having 37 inch tires.

I'm at the stage of learned helplessness :)

In all seriousness, just set a budget, don't go into debt to do mods, spend more time playing with it than you do spending money on it. It is astoundingly capable stock despite not having 37 inch tires.
I agree, there are only some simple changes that I would like to make to accommodate my work/play life.
- getting in and out of bed, the stock tailgate liner hurts these old knees. Looking at a few different options that I’ve found here on the forum.
- bed liner mat (done)
- custom Tufskinz door sill covers (done)
- watertight pullout truck bed drawers ( way too many companies out there, will search the boards for good, better, best reviews)
- camper shell
- roof rack for shell and cab to carry canoe (for play) and ladders (for work),
- maybe some lighting

Nothing crazy, but definitely being budget minded. I’m on the fence between bed mounted rack and just outfit to with rtt when needed or go with original plan of camper shell. As it a bit more stealth 🥷 definitely will do windoors if I go the cargo shell. Thank you for your feedback.

I agree, there are only some simple changes that I would like to make to accommodate my work/play life.
- getting in and out of bed, the stock tailgate liner hurts these old knees. Looking at a few different options that I’ve found here on the forum.
- bed liner mat (done)
- custom Tufskinz door sill covers (done)
- watertight pullout truck bed drawers ( way too many companies out there, will search the boards for good, better, best reviews)
- camper shell
- roof rack for shell and cab to carry canoe (for play) and ladders (for work),
- maybe some lighting

Nothing crazy, but definitely being budget minded. I’m on the fence between bed mounted rack and just outfit to with rtt when needed or go with original plan of camper shell. As it a bit more stealth 🥷 definitely will do windoors if I go the cargo shell. Thank you for your feedback.
Check out my build page for the decked system review. Love it. If you camper shell it, there's a few guys here who built custom beds that are cheaper, but I really enjoy being able to abuse the top with a couple thousand pounds of stuff while having weather proof drawers at the same time.

Hide Oops GIF by Hourglass Brewing

Dallas Cowboys Football GIF by ScooterMagruder

Welcome aboard!! And, yes, I was in denial when I bought my first Taco, particularly with the wife. But now I can freely (almost) admit that I'm an addict and I can quit at anytime if I want to 'cause I've done it before! :rolleyes:

"It's just like an OEM option that I couldn't get at the time... and it's cheaper...", "it makes the truck SAFER...", "I added that for YOU, babe...", etc. etc. etc.

I try to be realistic on the eye candy stuff that doesn't actually improve the ride or performance. (I said I try..........):sneaky:

Tits

Back