• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

The Rock Slayer Off-Road Tacoma...

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
How have I not seen this yet? You guys need to keep me updated on these things! Forget about that Fab Fours build — this is pure badassery!

9EAB7870-E885-46CC-84EF-E08A46D26C8C.jpeg

053C64C5-4312-48C1-AE32-6E3A6164A20C.jpeg

Original link: https://www.instagram.com/p/CA_q_qXDV5G/?igshid=oeenyh3pmoi7

Wow, just wow. Interesting choice on the single ditch light too...Can't decide if that makes sense or not. haha

Very clean. That exposed radiator, though...

I know someone who might be doing this......................
👀

Rough with links and upper brackets is like 5k
Quoting @Tacomadad18

Well then you have air shock price (which can go either way) I’m up in the air on using air shocks. Heard they are not good on the road... can be 5-800$ a piece. Then axles and all that

Kinda funny this truck looks how the FabFours guy was describing his ideal truck. He mentioned a few times in the video that he wanted the body to sit lower like this lol

Hard pass. ORI are a HORRIBLE idea for on road. If you lose a seal, you are riding on bumpstop, until someone can rebuild the shock, then you are retuning it. Horrible idea.
Also the guy is really bad about suspension geometry. Take a closer look at the pinion angle and link set up on the front, then think of it moving through the travel. Also that thing has 5" of shaft showing and 2" until it hits the body. Guy has had a few super scary situations come from his builds, and is a short lawsuit away from big trouble, imho. Huge risk from any of his stuff. Any of you old pirate guys, look at the info and close up pics of the builds, scary stuff.

Heres some examples of why this is bad

Axle rear steer, poor rear link geometry. not what you want as you are going fast or trying to hold a tech line. Usually found in long travel leaf spring setups.
90815029_1520968554729263_5839596045704626176_n.jpg

tcase hangs way down there. way down there. run 45's and a sky high lift, with no more belly clearance than smaller built rigs. Not to mention stretching the wheelbase so the belly hit more than it does already.
94030324_1543270149165770_2352925175151853568_n.jpg

I mean, really?
99161632_1567974013362050_4665400893770825728_n.jpg

Yeah, some may say its not right to bash another guy doing stuff, but he is straight up going to get someone killed.

Hard pass. ORI are a HORRIBLE idea for on road. If you lose a seal, you are riding on bumpstop, until someone can rebuild the shock, then you are retuning it. Horrible idea.
Also the guy is really bad about suspension geometry. Take a closer look at the pinion angle and link set up on the front, then think of it moving through the travel. Also that thing has 5" of shaft showing and 2" until it hits the body. Guy has had a few super scary situations come from his builds, and is a short lawsuit away from big trouble, imho. Huge risk from any of his stuff. Any of you old pirate guys, look at the info and close up pics of the builds, scary stuff.
I didn’t know any of that about them.

Heres some examples of why this is bad

Axle rear steer, poor rear link geometry. not what you want as you are going fast or trying to hold a tech line. Usually found in long travel leaf spring setups.
90815029_1520968554729263_5839596045704626176_n.jpg

tcase hangs way down there. way down there. run 45's and a sky high lift, with no more belly clearance than smaller built rigs. Not to mention stretching the wheelbase so the belly hit more than it does already.
94030324_1543270149165770_2352925175151853568_n.jpg

I mean, really?
99161632_1567974013362050_4665400893770825728_n.jpg

Yeah, some may say its not right to bash another guy doing stuff, but he is straight up going to get someone killed.

Yeah I’ve talked with him. He seems like a cool dude but definitely pushes this kit to be the baddest around. I had thoughts of just getting the kit from them then did some more research. I just don’t like the brackets (don’t look good imo) the suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper long links made me cringe. I’ve got a guy who builds all sorts of stuff that has done many many crawler builds and he can do it all with proper tools. I’m going that route. Can’t justify Rs kit at all.

One thing I wanna know, how is he advertising:

no trac bar and no death wobble....

I just can’t fathom not having a trac bar without issues. Certainly those links aren’t doing all the work without major failure waiting around the corner...

Yeah I’ve talked with him. He seems like a cool dude but definitely pushes this kit to be the baddest around. I had thoughts of just getting the kit from them then did some more research. I just don’t like the brackets (don’t look good imo) the suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper long links made me cringe. I’ve got a guy who builds all sorts of stuff that has done many many crawler builds and he can do it all with proper tools. I’m going that route. Can’t justify Rs kit at all.

One thing I wanna know, how is he advertising:

no trac bar and no death wobble....

I just can’t fathom not having a trac bar without issues. Certainly those links aren’t doing all the work without major failure waiting around the corner...
a dual tri-4 setup eliminates side to side movement by the orientation of the links. Technically a single tri-4 does as well ( ran a few REAR setups like that, and its ok but you want dual up front.) but the dual triangulated setup is where it is at. some argue a tri-4 setup is safer than a 3 link and panhard. Others say its the same safetywise. Its all about link geometry and how the pieces play together that matter more that the specific style imho, which no one asked for.
The longer links help on climbs and in a way prevents some pinion change vs short links, and its sky high so needs long links to not be so inclined and ride like shit. But looking at his setups he has crazy pinion dive. even with the long links.
Proper geometry goes a long way in suspension, he has none.

I think it looks like a bag of smashed assholes.

Back