• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

OVTune VF Tuner | OVTune - Tacoma ECU flash tune options and feedback

This OVTune thing looks cool but its kinda confusing with all the software packs tuner packs map packs vin codes ids ect. I feel a simple module with preloaded ots maps that could be updated/mildy customized would be far simpler. Then just put all the hardcore custom, self tuning software in a separate package. Anyways, I really want to give this tune a shot to improve the horrible factory drivability. When I picked up my 2021 trd pro the first thing I noticed was the trans would not stop upshifting/downshifting. Ive found this truck has a hard time just going the recommended hwy speed limit without having to constantly downshift to keep up with traffic. Its a little sad tbh. Anybody near West TX/East NM with flashing capabilities.

This OVTune thing looks cool but its kinda confusing with all the software packs tuner packs map packs vin codes ids ect. I feel a simple module with preloaded ots maps that could be updated/mildy customized would be far simpler. Then just put all the hardcore custom, self tuning software in a separate package. Anyways, I really want to give this tune a shot to improve the horrible factory drivability. When I picked up my 2021 trd pro the first thing I noticed was the trans would not stop upshifting/downshifting. Ive found this truck has a hard time just going the recommended hwy speed limit without having to constantly downshift to keep up with traffic. Its a little sad tbh. Anybody near West TX/East NM with flashing capabilities.
It can be a little intimidating at first but it's actually somewhat of an easy process. once everything is installed the actual flashing process takes 15 minutes or so.

I am more than happy to answer any question or clarify anything for you. I can also give you the step-by-step to get it all sorted quickly. Shoot me a PM and I can help you out.

So i have my 2016 Taco TRD Sport 3.5L Automatic, and I have the OVTune software, and I also installed a CAI with Ram Scoop and want to improve to the overall responsiveness with the throttle, adjust the Air/Fuel control ratio so its not running so lean. I have some logs from driving it and trying to max it out also to get the full range of things. Any of you guys good at working through or troubleshooting this stuff?

Hi, is this a good option for the V4? I just got 285/75/16 as well and have noticed the same lag in power.

Hi, is this a good option for the V4? I just got 285/75/16 as well and have noticed the same lag in power.

Yes. Files for the 4 cylinder are currently in development, but they will definitely be a benefit to your truck.

Does anyone have experience with KDMAX 6.0 tune? Or wrong thread? Looks like I have an opportunity to get tuned in Missoula in two weeks just wanted to talk to someone about what to expect long term

Does anyone do the ov tune in west Texas
I do. Coyoza_Tuning. El Paso, TX

Look us up on Facebook or Instagram, or check out our thread on this forum or TacomaWorld.

We'll also get tagged if you ask about us in the El Paso Yotaholics Facebook group.

Sorry for the very late reply. I was inactive on this forum for a few years and only just resumed using this platform.

Does anyone have experience with KDMAX 6.0 tune? Or wrong thread? Looks like I have an opportunity to get tuned in Missoula in two weeks just wanted to talk to someone about what to expect long term
My experience with KDMax has just been that people eventually become disappointed and then try Coyoza and prefer it. 🤷‍♂️

I suspect that what happens is people get tuned, they go holy shit, it drives completely differently, that means it's amazing! Write a review with only 5mi on the tune, and then as time passes little observations get made here and there and general unhappiness builds...

I can't speak for everyone, this is just my theory on it in general, based on what I've seen with my own customers who change from KDMax to Coyoza tune.

Seems to be especially true for the MT owners as well. Just last night I had someone say they did 600mi on the tune, more than enough time for a tune to "settle in" obviously, and felt absolutely nothing in the low end of the powerband. Initial test drive in their neighborhood was that the truck had much definite low end power and felt much smoother by comparison. 🤷‍♀️

Interpret this post and what I discussed with you in the Coyoza thread however you will, and I do not begrudge anyone who elects to still purchase and flash KD tunes. I truly do wish them continuing success, and anyone else providing tunes for the community.

Ive been running the KDmax 6.0 tune for 3 weeks now and love it!

I think I’ve seen this asked before but I can’t find it. I’m about to have a bunch of work done to my truck. Basically full suspension build and going to 34” tires. Apparently nitro 5.29 gears are back ordered everywhere it seems. Would a tune be beneficial enough until I can re-gear? I’m going to be making a 5k mile round trip in the next couple months so I want the truck to run smooth

I think I’ve seen this asked before but I can’t find it. I’m about to have a bunch of work done to my truck. Basically full suspension build and going to 34” tires. Apparently nitro 5.29 gears are back ordered everywhere it seems. Would a tune be beneficial enough until I can re-gear? I’m going to be making a 5k mile round trip in the next couple months so I want the truck to run smooth
It would absolutely be very beneficial both in the meantime, and once the regear is done

Coyoza tune happens to be super smooth.

How can I find a tuner, is there a list somewhere? I live in Southwest Colorado and it 4 hours to Albuquerque or 5 to Denver

I would like to get a tune, I really want it for a AGM battery, but other stuff would be nice.

How can I find a tuner, is there a list somewhere? I live in Southwest Colorado and it 4 hours to Albuquerque or 5 to Denver

I would like to get a tune, I really want it for a AGM battery, but other stuff would be nice.

Do 3rd gens have gear hold capabilities yet?
If you mean gearlock, to simulate a manual transmission, that's something tuning can enable. OVTune 1.05 had it, then it was removed for 2.0, and will be returning as an optional feature in vFTuner soon

Awesome cant wait. Im already tuned on 2.0, just was wondering if it was released for it yet.

Awesome cant wait. Im already tuned on 2.0, just was wondering if it was released for it yet.
OVTune was aiming for vFTuner 1.3 to be released tomorrow, idk if that's still the plan, but I believe he still intended to make new features like gearlock available for credits. You unlock the new feature you want to add to your tunes and move forward. Things like map switching, gearlock, playing with their new AFR code, stuff like that

Where do I find custom maps? Do I have to find someone who has made them or is there a place to find them?

Where do I find custom maps? Do I have to find someone who has made them or is there a place to find them?

Know your ECU ID and start digging. Some people made their own and shared them. Some ECU ID are more common than others.
TW has a collaboration thread that has some. Other's are in individual's threads.
There are a few main ones that are sold. I ended up going with Valley Tune. There's also KDMax. A couple others.
Once you have your VIN unlocked and unlock your ECU ID, you can tune it or take it to a tuner to have them do it.

Know your ECU ID and start digging. Some people made their own and shared them. Some ECU ID are more common than others.
TW has a collaboration thread that has some. Other's are in individual's threads.
There are a few main ones that are sold. I ended up going with Valley Tune. There's also KDMax. A couple others.
Once you have your VIN unlocked and unlock your ECU ID, you can tune it or take it to a tuner to have them do it.
I too settled with valley runner tune. Great amount of power with good mpgs. I tried kdmax and moosedittys tune . My truck to me felt the best with valley runner.

I cant go to TW due to being perma banned. Mods there are cocksuckers. The only good thing that happened over there was I met Eric and Brittney from Relentless Fab who are effing awesome people. This forum is so much better.
I appreciate that info. I guess I will have to just get OVtune and find a tune. Im too lazy to make my own. I will look into the valley runner tune.

I cant go to TW due to being perma banned. Mods there are cocksuckers. The only good thing that happened over there was I met Eric and Brittney from Relentless Fab who are effing awesome people. This forum is so much better.
I appreciate that info. I guess I will have to just get OVtune and find a tune. Im too lazy to make my own. I will look into the valley runner tune.

I have the OV tune on mine, but still felt the need to re-gear. Went with 5.29 re-gear. Truck runs like it should, but I am going to try the KD to smooth it out a bit since the OV tune was for the stock gears, and it's a bit abrupt down low like a light switch. Still running 265s but thinking about going to 33s and a 2 inch lift/level.
The tune is good. Makes a difference for $250. It's not as good as a re-gear. I know Toyota did what they did to meet the mpg standards, but they really screwed Taco fans by going the way they did. My 98 prerunner ran WAYYYY better than my 2021, and that had a 2.7. I feel like a jeep owner having to drop all this additional coin into a brand new truck to get it set up the way I want, but I know these things are built like a brick shithouse, and will last.

So I have a question for those who have OVtune. Do you get valve chatter now that it's been done? I have about 5k miles since I did it. I had it tuned for regular octane, stock gears, and 33s. The guy warned me and said if I get bad gas I'll get valve knock. But it really doesnt matter where I get my gas... it does it. A little at idle at a stop light but it really does it on those smooth uphill down shifts when you're not laying into the throttle but the tranny just slides down smooth into that sweet spot to keep you going. That's when she really rattles. Is this normal with the tune??

Back