• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

OVTune VF Tuner | OVTune - Tacoma ECU flash tune options and feedback

I wish the throttle response was a little better on my 91 but I'll wait for him to custom tune to get it done

Got my tune files in today. My tank has 89 in it right now (half tank), but I want to flash it 91. Cab I flash it 91, and stop at the local and top it off with 93, or should I just flash it 87, run a few tanks of 91, and then flash again?

Got my tune files in today. My tank has 89 in it right now (half tank), but I want to flash it 91. Cab I flash it 91, and stop at the local and top it off with 93, or should I just flash it 87, run a few tanks of 91, and then flash again?
The part where you wrote 93, did you mean 91? Or 93 to mix it with the 89 to get closer to 91?

But from what I’ve read you would be fine if you flash it 91 and use up the remainder of that 89. Personally though, I would wait until the 89 is closer to empty, fill up with the 91, then flash it for the first time. Just to be consistent and not be questioning variables like this. Cause then might be thinking it is running rough cause you mixed gas when it probably isn’t at all.

The part where you wrote 93, did you mean 91? Or 93 to mix it with the 89 to get closer to 91?

But from what I’ve read you would be fine if you flash it 91 and use up the remainder of that 89. Personally though, I would wait until the 89 is closer to empty, fill up with the 91, then flash it for the first time. Just to be consistent and not be questioning variables like this. Cause then might be thinking it is running rough cause you mixed gas when it probably isn’t at all.

We get 93 octane in these parts. ?

Like I said elsewhere. Run that 87 through the tank then fill it with 93 and upload the 91 file. That's how I did with mine.

If you have 93 near you, just full the rest of the tank with 93* and flash the 91 tune. If not, I would wait until you can fill the tank from empty with 91 to flash that tune.

*Gas stations only have high and low-grade tanks, they mix them to get their mid grades.

I went ahead and flashed it 87, then took it for a drive. I'll wait for a while before I write out my full thoughts, but right now, first impression is very good. I'm going to run the 87 tune for the rest of this tank. At next fill up, I'll use 91 fuel and run that tank empty as well. On the following 91, I'll flash to the 91 tune. Should only take a few weeks, probably less.

I went ahead and flashed it 87, then took it for a drive. I'll wait for a while before I write out my full thoughts, but right now, first impression is very good. I'm going to run the 87 tune for the rest of this tank. At next fill up, I'll use 91 fuel and run that tank empty as well. On the following 91, I'll flash to the 91 tune. Should only take a few weeks, probably less.
I'm pretty happy. It's amazing it holds 6th now. LMAO

Got everything tuned to the 1.05 91 tune.

• I love how fast it shifts in town under light throttle, I love how readily it shifts into (and holds) 5th and 6th on the highway, and I love how accurate choosing gears is with throttle pressure.
  • Haven't driven it enough to make any fuel economy conclusions, plus we are on winter gas and I let it warm up different amounts of time every day. So time will tell on that. I have a heavy ass truck, with a RTT, on 35" mud tires; so not expecting much.
  • As far as power increases? I dunno maybe, again heavy ass brick. I will say the power feels more linear from idle to redline and less exponential.

I reflashed to 91 today. Can't wait to drive home.

i have not done an introduction thread because i have not done much to the truck, but a tint, led headlights, and subaru tweeters. Truck came with dealer installed BFGs, TRD wheels and grille. I just ordered my OV tune kit and will flash for 91. I think the OVT will produce significantly increased rideability to be followed shortly by an exorbitantly priced suspension. Probably be a few days before i get this installed but will post opinions after.

OK, I broke down and ordered the tune. After doing an intake and exhaust the truck is even more annoying to drive for some reason. I think now it's because I can "hear" it being dumb :p
I have an intake and exhaust too and i cannot stand the constant shifting of the transmission... it is always in such a rush to get into a higher gear when it isnt necessary..

What is this tune? where is a link that i can read more into it.

have a 2017 trd sport double cab and will have 3 inch lift on 285s in the spring.

I have an intake and exhaust too and i cannot stand the constant shifting of the transmission... it is always in such a rush to get into a higher gear when it isnt necessary..

have a 2017 trd sport double cab and will have 3 inch lift on 285s in the spring.

It's on tw, the other site, and an over 1000 page disaster. Really have to dig through it for the info

Orange Virus Tuning, or OVTune is a software upload for our Tacomas that adjusts the engine mapping and shift mapping in the transmission. It's definitely an improvement. Like others, I hated the shift dance in my truck and it's now highly improved. It's not gone, but it is better. I think they weight of my truck has a lot to do with it still dancing.

More info can be found here... https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/tacoma-3rd-gen/products/toyota-tacoma-2grfks-calibration

The OVTuned thread on TacomaWorld is a disaster. 1,600 pages of non stop off topic banter, but yes, I've read it all. I can answer most any question you may have. That said you can also search for all of OVTuned's posts there and just read through those but even then they somewhat lack context and can be hard to understand without it.

Orange Virus Tuning, or OVTune is a software upload for our Tacomas that adjusts the engine mapping and shift mapping in the transmission. It's definitely an improvement. Like others, I hated the shift dance in my truck and it's now highly improved. It's not gone, but it is better. I think they weight of my truck has a lot to do with it still dancing.

More info can be found here... https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/tacoma-3rd-gen/products/toyota-tacoma-2grfks-calibration

The OVTuned thread on TacomaWorld is a disaster. 1,600 pages of non stop off topic banter, but yes, I've read it all. I can answer most any question you may have. That said you can also search for all of OVTuned's posts there and just read through those but even then they somewhat lack context and can be hard to understand without it.

Yeah that thread is an absolute clusterf*ck. If you search for just OVTune's posts in that thread, it'll make it a lot easier to process the info. I just scroll through the new pages and look for his avatar pic. I think he responds once about every 356 pages. Not that he is slow, that's just how fast it fills up with whining and off topic crap. I am just waiting for the handhelds to come back in stock so I can order and stop following that thread lol.

Maybe invite Mat over here so he can have a more chill place to talk about the awesome work he is doing?? Like a weekend getaway thread.

Thanks for the link.
I checked it out, is this something i can do myself with my own computer or do i need to bring it to a shop..seems like you just plug it in and download a map if im not mistaken..
Is there different maps you can select or is it just one?

Thanks for the link.
I checked it out, is this something i can do myself with my own computer or do i need to bring it to a shop..seems like you just plug it in and download a map if im not mistaken..
Is there different maps you can select or is it just one?

It's definitely an upload you can do at home with your own laptop. It's pretty simple. The instructions are on the site.

There are different maps. 89, 91, & 93.

I'm going on my 3rd day of 1-3 advertised business days for the actual tune email, heading to glamis this weekend, realllyyyyyyyy hoping i get it tomorrow!!

FYI, Mat just dropped a 12% off coupon code yesterday. I may just jump on it now and forget the handheld.

Edit: Yup, I bought it.

Last edited:
Hit the ECT button too
It's true! The OVTune'd ECT button is the cure for having 35s without a regear. It really is impressive. ~80mph on the highway is basically the same (or still better) than stock tune/stock tires. I highly recommend this now that I have thousands of miles on it.

I just got the gears in and it made a world of difference, but im thinking that coupled with OV Tune would be incredible. So i think i may just pick it up sometime after Expo West.

Am I the only person who wasn’t impressed with OVT? My truck still hunts for gears like crazy and I am only running 255/80/17’s with very minimal armor and no tent on the rack.

Am I the only person who wasn’t impressed with OVT? My truck still hunts for gears like crazy and I am only running 255/80/17’s with very minimal armor and no tent on the rack.
Trying contacting them for help.

I feel like I’m normally the one in your shoes. Unimpressed with overrated bullshit. But OVT actually is as good as the world makes it sound. So there might be something up with yours.

Trying contacting them for help.

I feel like I’m normally the one in your shoes. Unimpressed with overrated bullshit. But OVT actually is as good as the world makes it sound. So there might be something up with yours.

$700 is half way to a 3rd and clam swap!

I tuned to performance a bit ago and am going to burn off the rest of this tank then try 91 performance for at least 1000 miles. If the trans hasn’t relearned in that amount of time, I’m regearing the turd and calling it a day.

Back