• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

OVTune VF Tuner | OVTune - Tacoma ECU flash tune options and feedback

How is that 91 version? I am on the 1st 4.88 beta. Not blown away by it ,even think i was getting much better MPG's on 1.05 87 base tune
I haven't put enough miles on it to tell yet, but the last ole base tune worked pretty well gas mileage wise. I'll be putting some real miles on it in about a week. My daily commute is like 4 miles round trip lol.

I have been getting 11-12 tops.
My averages were on the last tank. I went from SF up highway 1 to Jenner and back. My speeds the whole trip was 35-50ish. My plan is to try the 2.0 when final release is out and 4.88s.
Hope this works out.

I recently put 285/75/16 on my TRD Pro, and I have felt a huge lag in the power. Im very interested in the OV tune, but I am still very hesitant after trying to read the hundreds of pages of threads. I have recently seen a few used dongles for sale in the for sale groups on facebook. Would this be a good idea? I understand I would still have to buy the license, and install it. The OV tune threads are a little overwhelming for a newcomer.

Following...

I'd like to hear more feedback on this as well.

Definitely been considering the unit too.

I recently put 285/75/16 on my TRD Pro, and I have felt a huge lag in the power. Im very interested in the OV tune, but I am still very hesitant after trying to read the hundreds of pages of threads. I have recently seen a few used dongles for sale in the for sale groups on facebook. Would this be a good idea? I understand I would still have to buy the license, and install it. The OV tune threads are a little overwhelming for a newcomer.
Following...

I'd like to hear more feedback on this as well.

Definitely been considering the unit too.
I was the same way before I bought it. $700 for a tune? Could it be as good as they say?

Short answer: It’s better than I expected.

You will notice a drastic improvement in acceleration from a stop, passing at 60+ mph on the highway, much better RPMs up hills, much better RPMs in general (under 2000 constantly), much better shifting (always staying in the appropriate gear), actually getting use out of 6th, much better cruise control, and improved gas mileage.

I’ve also regeared, and for me, OVTune provided a more noticeable difference.

I was the same way before I bought it. $700 for a tune? Could it be as good as they say?

Short answer: It’s better than I expected.

You will notice a drastic improvement in acceleration from a stop, passing at 60+ mph on the highway, much better RPMs up hills, much better RPMs in general (under 2000 constantly), much better shifting (always staying in the appropriate gear), actually getting use out of 6th, much better cruise control, and improved gas mileage.

I’ve also regeared, and for me, OVTune provided a more noticeable difference.

thank you so much. Really appreciate the info. I guess this will be the next mod I do.

I tuned about a year ago, and my only regret is not doing it sooner. It's a complete night and day difference. I started with 93 octane base but now run 93 performance. It's no sports car of course but even that gives me better power, better mph, smoother shifting.
It's worth it.

Also I'm not the best at computers and even that's easy.

So with the 93 you just run higher octane gas? What happens if you run 87 with the 93 tune? Sorry im new to this.

Yes they have a 87, 91 and 93 octane tune, pretty easy to switch between. I wouldnt run a 93octane tune with 87. I'm not smart enough to know why, but I cant imagine it's good for the engine

Yes they have a 87, 91 and 93 octane tune, pretty easy to switch between. I wouldnt run a 93octane tune with 87. I'm not smart enough to know why, but I cant imagine it's good for the engine
Thank you, I have found a used handheld unit and I spoke to Matt via email. He said that’s no problem I could just email them and they would send me the license. I appreciate all the help.

Thank you, I have found a used handheld unit and I spoke to Matt via email. He said that’s no problem I could just email them and they would send me the license. I appreciate all the help.

I'm still waiting to hear back from them. Did Matt give you an idea of turnaround time? I did the same thing this week and bought a OV Tune from a dude getting rid of his TACO, now I just need a licence but OV tune I think is swamped right now with the new release.

I got one from the guy I bought my truck from - Mathew seemed to have attitude about it? I hope it's not a problem-still waiting to hear back- I really want to update my truck with this after reading all the reviews!

I'm still waiting to hear back from them. Did Matt give you an idea of turnaround time? I did the same thing this week and bought a OV Tune from a dude getting rid of his TACO, now I just need a licence but OV tune I think is swamped right now with the new release.
the guy i was going to buy it from sold it. I waited too long to pull the trigger. I was waiting to hear back from OV tune before i bought it. I did get an email back and they said that would be fine, I just needed to email them the info.

I got one from the guy I bought my truck from - Mathew seemed to have attitude about it? I hope it's not a problem-still waiting to hear back- I really want to update my truck with this after reading all the reviews!
I hope it works out. As soon as they come back in stock I am definitely going to pick one up. I just hope it doesn't take as long as some of the reviews have stated. From everything I have been reading it will be after the new update.

Mathew says they can't transfer the license- That I have to purchase one in my name $325.00 ? is this what other people have had to do??

Hey RCA- it looks like we have the same Taco- 17 pro cement MT- What mods if any have u done? Also have u got your OVTune license from Mathew or waiting?

I just bought a used one from a dude in Manitoba, I'm in Ontario. It arrives tomorrow. I received an email back from Matt at OV, a new license will be $325 US. So I saved a few bucks on the hardware due to conversion rate. Can't wait to install this tune, it sounds like it should be amazing.

I just bought a used one from a dude in Manitoba, I'm in Ontario. It arrives tomorrow. I received an email back from Matt at OV, a new license will be $325 US. So I saved a few bucks on the hardware due to conversion rate. Can't wait to install this tune, it sounds like it should be amazing.
Let us know what your impression is.

Hey RCA- it looks like we have the same Taco- 17 pro cement MT- What mods if any have u done? Also have u got your OVTune license from Mathew or waiting?
I haven’t done much. Just ditch lights, grill lights, and tires. Was hoping to do the tune before I go too much into it.

So with the 93 you just run higher octane gas? What happens if you run 87 with the 93 tune? Sorry im new to this.

Do not run a higher octane tune with lower octane fuel. It is a bad idea as Mat has stated it can seriously damage your truck. Just don't do it. The only caveat is some guys at altitude run the 91 tune with 87 fuel due to the way the fuel burns at altitude. Mat has said that's acceptable, but I wouldn't do it. Your call on that one.

Mathew says they can't transfer the license- That I have to purchase one in my name $325.00 ? is this what other people have had to do??

Yes the license must be purchased separately from the hardware. You can not just transfer the license from the guy you bought the hardware from.

As for Mat being short, or testy with emails. Try to remember he deals with on average around 100-200 emails a day on top of tuning and replying to endless chatter on that other forum. He's not angry, just trying to be brief and to the point which may come off rude to some. Cut him some slack, he is the only guy on the planet so far to crack Toyota's ECU programming on our trucks.

Is it worth it? I've run 1.03, 1.04, 1.04R, 1.05, 1.05 ver.2, 2.0 beta, and now finally 2.0 beta for 5.29. IMHO, it's only gotten better and better. What he's been able to get out of these trucks is impressive. I'm eagerly awaiting his next release, but happily enjoying my tune in the meantime.

Back