• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

OVTune VF Tuner | OVTune - Tacoma ECU flash tune options and feedback

used 2.0 thx for 33s on some hilly trails Saturday. the drive up was great I got 20mph and I Never ever ever have gotten close to that with my heavy foot. It worked great in 4Hi at low RPMs. so far I like it much better than 1.05 I came from.

There is a also a variable throttle response version available right now. Had it for a day but it is guuuuuuuuud! I really can't believe how well my truck drives with 35s( 4.88s). I hope this option sticks.

If gear lock and ect map switching doesn't come back somebody can somebody please help me with VF tuner lol
giphy (1).gif
Its coming after he updates flash manager!

What is the best way to get the ovtune ECU map installed, if you don't want to DIY?

Any of those new tunes for manual? I did the 2.0 already and its great- I have 33's so I would like to update it! Honestly guys if your contemplating the tune it's been a great improvement! MPG not so much (for me anyway -but I drive w a heavy foot!😂) But performance YES!!!!!

What is the best way to get the ovtune ECU map installed, if you don't want to DIY?

You're either going to have to install it yourself, or find someone near you with VF Tuner and the licensing to flash your truck for you.

Honestly the install really isn't that hard.

Current updated 2.0 Automatic transmission files are located here...

https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news/tacoma-2-0-final-auto-release

Instructions for the 2020 2.0 Manual transmission files are here...

https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news/...0-manual-transmission-2020-model-year-support

Sounds like the rest of the 2.0 manual files are located in Flash Manager.

Lots of good info located here...

https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news

Make sure you have the latest Flash Manager installed prior to flashing the truck.

https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news/flash-manager-1-3-0-released-with-new-logger

Current updated 2.0 Automatic transmission files are located here...

https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news/tacoma-2-0-final-auto-release

Instructions for the 2020 2.0 Manual transmission files are here...

https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news/...0-manual-transmission-2020-model-year-support

Sounds like the rest of the 2.0 manual files are located in Flash Manager.

Lots of good info located here...

https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news

Make sure you have the latest Flash Manager installed prior to flashing the truck.

https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news/flash-manager-1-3-0-released-with-new-logger

I just put the tune on my 2017 TRD 4x4. What a difference. Not that the performance is fantastic or anything. It just drive like it ought to have from the beginning. The truck actually feels lighter going down the road. I selected the tune file with enhanced throttle response because that was one of my pet peeves. The truck now shifts the way it should and throttle response is much better. Not perfect (my other car is a Corvette), but much better.

I’m on the newest 5.29 / 35s tune. Been getting 14mpg, up from 12. Power feels good too. And my truck is heavy as hell.

I’m on the newest 5.29 / 35s tune. Been getting 14mpg, up from 12. Power feels good too. And my truck is heavy as hell.

A 2 mpg increase is huge. I need to flash over to the new tune and see what happens. If I got that I'd be ecstatic. Historically for me I haven't seen that good of increases in mpg from OVTune or gears. So getting a few from this tune version would be really nice.

I don’t know why it took me so long to do this. Running the 2.0 91 on 33’s, truck performs like it should. Shifts smoother holds gears better, if your on the fence you should definitely do this.
Everyone should know about it but I’m sure there are plenty of people who have just never heard of it.

I bought the vF Tuner and Tacoma 3.5L vF Tune Pack and flashed my 2017 Tacoma Off Road with the Premium Stock Thx tune. I just did the flash yesterday. I didn't really notice a huge increase in the throttle sensitivity as others have claimed. Shifting and power seems to have improved. I've only gone 50 miles and have been hitting the pedal heavily while testing responses and shifting at various speeds. The MPG hasn't improved but I think that will change with more mileage and returning to normal driving.

Has anyone else done a recent flash and didn't experience a difference in throttle sensitivity?

I bought the vF Tuner and Tacoma 3.5L vF Tune Pack and flashed my 2017 Tacoma Off Road with the Premium Stock Thx tune. I just did the flash yesterday. I didn't really notice a huge increase in the throttle sensitivity as others have claimed. Shifting and power seems to have improved. I've only gone 50 miles and have been hitting the pedal heavily while testing responses and shifting at various speeds. The MPG hasn't improved but I think that will change with more mileage and returning to normal driving.

Has anyone else done a recent flash and didn't experience a difference in throttle sensitivity?
It’ll take a couple tanks of gas for the truck to “relearn” your driving habits. It should get better with time

What ECU do you have? Did you update your ECU to the latest TSB?

This has really piqued my interest, especially after testing some ECU flashes at work. It looks like the Manual Instructions are broken, can somebody give me a bit of help why? I don't want to buy this software if I'm too late to the game for support?

Also, I'm seeing the software as $200, but the software + flash cable are $380. Is the flash cable something special? I'm thinking it's just a normal OBD to USB cable.

This has really piqued my interest, especially after testing some ECU flashes at work. It looks like the Manual Instructions are broken, can somebody give me a bit of help why? I don't want to buy this software if I'm too late to the game for support?

Also, I'm seeing the software as $200, but the software + flash cable are $380. Is the flash cable something special? I'm thinking it's just a normal OBD to USB cable.
I find the current state of trying to buy and understand OVTune to be pretty confusing myself. It’s not like it was when I got mine. Hopefully someone can help you because it’s a great product.

I found someone doing OV tunes in Kentucy. I'm driving down to have it done on the 7th. Getting it done for 33s and he will reflash after I get my gears done. Hes offering a add on to the OV tune called "Turbo ECT". Has anyone heard of this or had any experience with it? Wondering if it's worth the extra 75 bucks or if it's just a novelty fun button once it's done. I use the ECT a lot when loaded heavy or pulling my M416.

I found someone doing OV tunes in Kentucy. I'm driving down to have it done on the 7th. Getting it done for 33s and he will reflash after I get my gears done. Hes offering a add on to the OV tune called "Turbo ECT". Has anyone heard of this or had any experience with it? Wondering if it's worth the extra 75 bucks or if it's just a novelty fun button once it's done. I use the ECT a lot when loaded heavy or pulling my M416.

There is no such thing from OV as a "Turbo ECT" tune. What is likely happening is he has either programmed the ECT map to run a little harder or he just copied one of the other tunes online and he is passing it off as his own. Either way it is a gimmick and not worth the extra $75. It takes no extra effort to install a flash with or without his magic potion juice added. One more thing, while the ECT tune he mentions may pull a tad harder, it will likely suck down fuel, rarely go to 6th, and just generally be less refined. I would just install a standard 91 tune with Gear Lock so you can control the gears while you are towing.

There is no such thing from OV as a "Turbo ECT" tune. What is likely happening is he has either programmed the ECT map to run a little harder or he just copied one of the other tunes online and he is passing it off as his own. Either way it is a gimmick and not worth the extra $75. It takes no extra effort to install a flash with or without his magic potion juice added. One more thing, while the ECT tune he mentions may pull a tad harder, it will likely suck down fuel, rarely go to 6th, and just generally be less refined. I would just install a standard 91 tune with Gear Lock so you can control the gears while you are towing.
Thanks for the heads up! I was hoping for some sound advice and you nailed it. He claims he has to edit my tune to include this ect feature before I show up to the meet and needs the 75 upfront. Says:

"
So, I've started to offer another optional feature. "Turbo ECT" for those with automatic transmission. When you press ECT, it'll activate an aggressive performance tune. Most likely not something you'll want to drive around with every day, but it's a fun option. Can be turned on and off whenever you want and works on top of the OVtune.
This will require me to edit your tune ahead of time and will cost an additional $75,- which will need to be paid ahead of time. This is non refundable.

If interested, shoot me a DM and we can work out the details."

Didnt want to commit to it until I got any advice from others doing OVtune. When you say Gear Lock, are you referring to the manual select shift feature on the auto trans?

He's just trying to squeeze money out of you. There's no reason he can't edit a tune long before you arrive and it doesn't cost him any extra to add some random ECT map. He doesn't need "your tune." In fact he probably has a bunch of different ecu calibrations already prepped and ready to go. Hell he might not have even written the supposed turbo ECT map himself. He likely just is flashing someone else's aggressive ECT tune that he took from online. If it's not ready it's literally just copy/paste from one tune file to another.

Last edited:
Thanks man. Looks like I'll forego the ect "upgrade". Maybe I'll just test his copy paste ability on sight lol

Interesting discussion. I’ve been working and making tunes for people. Sometimes the maps are real frustrating work.

Thanks man. Looks like I'll forego the ect "upgrade". Maybe I'll just test his copy paste ability on sight lol

I guess I'm not explaining it correctly. It would take a decent amount of time to copy over something in the moment and it's definitely a chore even just copying something. On site would be a pain in the ass. I get him wanting to get the tune ready before you arrive in that sense. He may also actually be developing his own tunes. The software does allow for one to modify many settings and create their own tunes. So who knows, maybe he has developed something. Their are many out there doing so, like @UploadAdventure and others.

Interesting discussion. I’ve been working and making tunes for people. Sometimes the maps are real frustrating work.

The maps are definitely a pain. I follow along in the multiple threads out there and have made plenty of minor changes to my own tunes, mostly with mediocre results.

Last edited:
I guess I'm not explaining it correctly. It would take a decent amount of time to copy over something in the moment and it's definitely a chore even just copying something. On site would be a pain in the ass. I get him wanting to get the tune ready before you arrive in that sense. He may also actually be developing his own tunes. The software does allow for one to modify many settings and create their own tunes. So who knows, maybe he has developed something. Their are many out there doing so, like @UploadAdventure and others.

The maps are definitely a pain. I follow along in the multiple threads out there and have made plenty of minor changes to my own tunes, mostly with mediocre results.
Yeah- sometimes results are hit or miss.
Gotta be REALLY careful with some of the other guys. Some are really advancing the timing in not a good way.

I’m still fine tuning that 5.29 tune with another guy. I haven’t forgotten about sending it to you.

Seem to me that the install process can so much cleaner, screen shots and sketchy installation instructions.
That part looks okay to me, but you have to know you're getting into unpolished software. I don't appreciate their DMCA, though. I've been waiting all week, because I depend on them replying to email tickets. I haven't even been able to start playing with the software, then I still need to pull more information off my truck and make another ticket for more IDs

Back