• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Thanx for the welcome!

Quevyn

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score

[IMG alt="Quevyn"]https://tacoma3g.com/data/avatars/l/7/7982.jpg?1613785685[/IMG]

Quevyn

✓ • Lurker​

Messages0Upvotes Recieved0First NameQuevynT3G Member#7,982
15 minutes ago
I am new here, but I am here because I just purchased a 2021 TRD Tacoma Off-Road. I have owned Two Tundra's, but this is my first Tacoma. For starters, I am very impressed with the ride for a mid-sized truck and just its overall general performance. I have only had it for about three weeks. I live here in Tampa Bay, but I took a road trip to Asheville, NC where I will be moving to shortly. It rained all the way and at an average speed of 75 mph, the stability of the truck felt like a warm blanket. Once I got it into the mountains, that is where the truck excelled. It walked those mountains like they weren't even there. My only drawback with the truck is the gear shifting. It is horrible. It is clunky and the thing won't get out of its own way. Highway driving felt like work. The technology that comes with the vehicle is amazing and I am writing about adaptive cruise control. If it finds a reason to slow your speed down, getting you back to your original speed felt like a bumper car ride. Acceleration is not as smooth a process as it should be, but the gears are throwing you all over the place. On the drive back home, I did not bother to use the cruise control. When you step on the gas pedal, there seems to be no consistent control for smooth acceleration. It jumps from gear to gear trying to decide which gear it needs to be in. I have decided that I like the truck but would like more control over acceleration and not have to stand up on the gas pedal to get the thing to go. Any ideas?

Attachments​

• T1.jpg
    T1.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 0
Quote Reply

Welcome! As far as the shifting I would highly recommend getting the OVtune done to your truck. Solves the gear searching, the throttle is more responsive, and your truck will have more pep.

Last edited:
I had the same searching transmission problems with my 2020 Tacoma. I took this TSB to the dealership and they reflashed my transmission and voila! No more shifting problems.

Attachments

• MC-10181772-9999.pdf
    415.5 KB · Views: 74
Welcome aboard. I had to do the TSB and re-gear to make mine run right.

Bird Dog, and Butch...Thanx for the recs. I will get started in the Am!

I had the same searching transmission problems with my 2020 Tacoma. I took this TSB to the dealership and they reflashed my transmission and voila! No more shifting problems.
Thanks for posting this. I had my 2019 in for a leaky shock and I asked about this TSB. My truck got updated and runs considerably better. I also ended up with a new fuel pump because of an open recall.

Back