• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tacoma Truck Bed Tents

GaryEMoody

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
I am new owner of Tacoma. Next week I am planning a camping trip with this new ride. I want to purchase some good quality Tacoma Truck Bed Tents. Please suggest some good stuff.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do the truck bed tents. Grab a smittybilt roof top tent and some bed rails (or ratchet strap some 2x4's temporarily) and mount that on the back. Way better than an in-bed tent.

I wouldn't do the truck bed tents. Grab a smittybilt roof top tent and some bed rails (or ratchet strap some 2x4's temporarily) and mount that on the back. Way better than an in-bed tent.
100% agree. Truck bed tents fit in a weird area where they aren't ground tents or RTT so they don't have the benefits of either.

100% agree. Truck bed tents fit in a weird area where they aren't ground tents or RTT so they don't have the benefits of either.

Well, don't they still have the benefit being up off the ground? Sure, you're not 6 feet up, but at least you're not on the dirt. Maybe it isn't quite as easy to set up, but outside of that what benefits am I missing? Also, a lot less likely to fall and break a leg in the pitch-black night when you have to use the restroom.

Seems a lot more convenient to have a tent you can quickly pack away and remove from the truck without a struggle versus a rooftop that is always on the truck unless you want to put in some serious work taking it on and off. Alternately, you can get more space with an RTT (depending on the model) but is the space really needed? The tent is really only there to sleep in.

I ask because I'm planning a bed tent as well and really can't see any downsides.

Well, don't they still have the benefit being up off the ground? Sure, you're not 6 feet up, but at least you're not on the dirt. Maybe it isn't quite as easy to set up, but outside of that what benefits am I missing? Also, a lot less likely to fall and break a leg in the pitch-black night when you have to use the restroom.

Seems a lot more convenient to have a tent you can quickly pack away and remove from the truck without a struggle versus a rooftop that is always on the truck unless you want to put in some serious work taking it on and off. Alternately, you can get more space with an RTT (depending on the model) but is the space really needed? The tent is really only there to sleep in.

I ask because I'm planning a bed tent as well and really can't see any downsides.
-It takes as much work to set up a truck bed tent as it does a ground tent
-you'll still need a sleeping pad (truck beds aren't comfortable)
-you'll need to take everything out of your truck bed to place the bed tent in place
-Not much room back there. 5.5 ft long closed, maybe two people could lay down in a Tacoma bed with the tailgate down, tight quarters and no place to put stuff inside if it's just you and one other person.

I think if you're going to go truck bed tent, you aren't really gaining anything over a ground tent. Jumping up to a roof top tent over your bed allows for sleeping gear all within the tent, and so hastens camp set up time. It also allows you to keep your gear in the truck bed.

But hey, do the truck bed tent. Share pics.

In the bed tent can be had for $75 off Craigslist, RTT cost me $1,200. Much happier with the RTT as I don’t have to remove everything from the bed to setup the tent.

Attachments

• FB6CB223-C51C-48D1-991B-D4DC6F9EE442.jpeg
    FB6CB223-C51C-48D1-991B-D4DC6F9EE442.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 193
  • 16398218-22DD-43C1-9959-0C756D61D0E9.jpeg
    16398218-22DD-43C1-9959-0C756D61D0E9.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 174
-It takes as much work to set up a truck bed tent as it does a ground tent
-you'll still need a sleeping pad (truck beds aren't comfortable)
-you'll need to take everything out of your truck bed to place the bed tent in place
-Not much room back there. 5.5 ft long closed, maybe two people could lay down in a Tacoma bed with the tailgate down, tight quarters and no place to put stuff inside if it's just you and one other person.

I think if you're going to go truck bed tent, you aren't really gaining anything over a ground tent. Jumping up to a roof top tent over your bed allows for sleeping gear all within the tent, and so hastens camp set up time. It also allows you to keep your gear in the truck bed.

But hey, do the truck bed tent. Share pics.

I definitely will! I think it will be a while before I go the route of bed-tent, but we will see. My thought process is I can leave it mostly set up in the truck bed, just folded down and hidden beneath my foldable tonneau. Shouldnt take more than a few minutes to pop up from there. With regards to equipment, I tend to travel pretty light. I'm looking at a lot of lower profile gear options. My biggest wonder is if I can do the bed tent still with some bed-side molle panels holding a few pieces of gear on the sides of the bed. Probably not an ideal setup for two people due to restriction of space, but for a single person it should be fine.

The only time I'll be out camping with my SO is when we bring the trailer along anyway. She is a much happier camper with a full bathroom. Haha!

Mind you, this is all in theory right now. We will see if it actually pans out.

In the bed tent can be had for $75 off Craigslist, RTT cost me $1,200. Much happier with the RTT as I don’t have to remove everything from the bed to setup the tent.

Right on! Did you have any more pics of the tent during setup or use?

Also, side note, I'm weird and I like to try weird stuff! :D

@itsthex, I have a Rightline Truck Bed Tent. I first purchased the midsize 6' long bed (item #110770) then exchanged it for the 6.5' full size (Item # 1878820001). The 6' version was too small and the zipper started to tear. The 6.5' version is too big. REI sells them for under $100. The first 2 Pics are of the 6.5' version, the last 2 are of the 6'.
If you have a tonneau cover, you have to remove that before setting up the tent. Easy enough, but you have to have to put it on the ground and it's pretty heavy for one person to move. I went this route because it was cheap and easy for a few overnight trips. It sets up in under 3 minutes. This pic is of me in Moab with the 6' version. FYI, the Rightline doesn't have a floor, so you can keep everything in your bed and set up the tent quickly, especially in the rain.
1659233774988.jpeg

Attachments

• PXL_20220508_194650325.jpg
    PXL_20220508_194650325.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 174
  • PXL_20220508_195839673.jpg
    PXL_20220508_195839673.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 217
  • PXL_20210609_021757874.jpg
    PXL_20210609_021757874.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 157
  • PXL_20210609_021804883.jpg
    PXL_20210609_021804883.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
@itsthex, I have a Rightline Truck Bed Tent. I first purchased the midsize 6' long bed (item #110770) then exchanged it for the 6.5' full size (Item # 1878820001). The 6' version was too small and the zipper started to tear. The 6.5' version is too big. REI sells them for under $100. The first 2 Pics are of the 6.5' version, the last 2 are of the 6'.
If you have a tonneau cover, you have to remove that before setting up the tent. Easy enough, but you have to have to put it on the ground and it's pretty heavy for one person to move. I went this route because it was cheap and easy for a few overnight trips. It sets up in under 3 minutes. This pic is of me in Moab with the 6' version. FYI, the Rightline doesn't have a floor, so you can keep everything in your bed and set up the tent quickly, especially in the rain.
1659233774988.jpeg

I think this is a cool option. I just recently learned about the over-bed-only version without a tent floor and am considering it. Especially with your photos. You mentioned different size tents; do you have the 5ft or 6ft bed version of your truck?

What version? In bed or RTT?

In-bed!

I think this is a cool option. I just recently learned about the over-bed-only version without a tent floor and am considering it. Especially with your photos. You mentioned different size tents; do you have the 5ft or 6ft bed version of your truck?

In-bed!

Attachments

• 434F01F5-BB93-4911-A0FD-9036C00621BB.jpeg
    434F01F5-BB93-4911-A0FD-9036C00621BB.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 175
@itsthex, My Taco is a AC with a 6'+ bed. The other nice feature is this tent requires you to have the tailgate down, since it slips over the end of the tailgate. That gives you a lot of room to lay down even in a short bed. I found the 6' version too tight so opted for the slightly larger 6.5' version. I can make it work. REI has them on sale now and returns are easy peasy if you don't like it. I really like that it doesn't have a floor to mess with. I use a nemo air mattress and MMA mats for the flooring. I also recently changed out my tailgate insert (Hooke Road) which makes getting in and out of the tent much easier. Details in my build tread.

@itsthex, My Taco is a AC with a 6'+ bed. The other nice feature is this tent requires you to have the tailgate down, since it slips over the end of the tailgate. That gives you a lot of room to lay down even in a short bed. I found the 6' version too tight so opted for the slightly larger 6.5' version. I can make it work. REI has them on sale now and returns are easy peasy if you don't like it. I really like that it doesn't have a floor to mess with. I use a nemo air mattress and MMA mats for the flooring. I also recently changed out my tailgate insert (Hooke Road) which makes getting in and out of the tent much easier. Details in my build tread.

Awesome, I'll take a look! Thanks!

Back