• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Wrap / Plasti Dip Taco Wrap

Huck89

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Magnetic Gray
Has anyone on here put a wrap on their Taco? If so, what are the pros and cons you’ve experienced along with any other notes and/or recommendations you may have?

Has anyone on here put a wrap on their Taco? If so, what are the pros and cons you’ve experienced along with any other notes and/or recommendations you may have?
I haven’t wrapped my whole truck yet. But I did have my roof wrapped before putting my roof rack on. I saw someone else mention that’s it’s a good idea to do it since it’s a bitch to clean under the rack once it’s on. And the wrap will just protect the paint more since I can’t get under there too well. It was a great idea and I strongly recommend wrapping the roof before installing a roof rack. The same concept could be applied for the whole truck. Wrapping the whole truck will add a layer of protection and you can make it whatever style you want. Though if you want true paint protection over style you should look into PPF. Paint protection film is much thicker and more resilient to damage than a vinyl wrap. Especially pin striping you see on some trucks after driving through the woods. A note of CAUTION. Tacomas are known to have somewhat weak and soft paint, especially the white color. White tacomas are known to have flaking and peeling happen around the windows. If you wrap your truck there is always a possibility of ripping some paint off when you remove the wrap IF the paint was already damaged or defective like on the white tacomas. If your paint is fine though then I wouldn’t worry about damaging your paint when removing it. I’d say that 98% of people don’t have an issue. Overall I think vinyl wrapping your truck is a cool idea and can really make you stand out. It can get a little expensive but if the cost isn’t a problem then go for it. Just make sure you go to a reputable place that really knows their stuff.

I haven’t wrapped my whole truck yet. But I did have my roof wrapped before putting my roof rack on. I saw someone else mention that’s it’s a good idea to do it since it’s a bitch to clean under the rack once it’s on. And the wrap will just protect the paint more since I can’t get under there too well. It was a great idea and I strongly recommend wrapping the roof before installing a roof rack. The same concept could be applied for the whole truck. Wrapping the whole truck will add a layer of protection and you can make it whatever style you want. Though if you want true paint protection over style you should look into PPF. Paint protection film is much thicker and more resilient to damage than a vinyl wrap. Especially pin striping you see on some trucks after driving through the woods. A note of CAUTION. Tacomas are known to have somewhat weak and soft paint, especially the white color. White tacomas are known to have flaking and peeling happen around the windows. If you wrap your truck there is always a possibility of ripping some paint off when you remove the wrap IF the paint was already damaged or defective like on the white tacomas. If your paint is fine though then I wouldn’t worry about damaging your paint when removing it. I’d say that 98% of people don’t have an issue. Overall I think vinyl wrapping your truck is a cool idea and can really make you stand out. It can get a little expensive but if the cost isn’t a problem then go for it. Just make sure you go to a reputable place that really knows their stuff.
Thanks for the info! Did you do the wrap yourself or have someone else do it? I would love to wrap mine someday but I’m sure the labor is gonna be quite hefty.

Thanks for the info! Did you do the wrap yourself or have someone else do it? I would love to wrap mine someday but I’m sure the labor is gonna be quite hefty.
I had a shop do it. It can be done yourself but it is a tough task to take on if you’ve never done it before. If you’re going to get a fancy design I would let a shop do it. At least with a shop there should be a warranty of some sort

I had a shop do it. It can be done yourself but it is a tough task to take on if you’ve never done it before. If you’re going to get a fancy design I would let a shop do it. At least with a shop there should be a warranty of some sort
Touché! Changing topics, how do you like your Softopper? I love the look of it but obviously wanted to get some fort hand opinions on the cost, design, simplicity etc.

Touché! Changing topics, how do you like your Softopper? I love the look of it but obviously wanted to get some fort hand opinions on the cost, design, simplicity etc.
Love it. Works well for my current needs. Super quick to take down or off completely. And much lighter obviously than a typical bed cap. The foldable frame does cover the bed rails a bit though so if you mount a lot of stuff to your rails you most likely won’t be able to fold it down anymore. Other than that I haven’t had issues with it and I get compliments all the time 🤷🏼‍♂️

Back