• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Suspension Under $800

hallux

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
Lets talk cheap... now before y'all go bashing me hear my logic. I see so many people go out dropping $3,000 - $5,000 on suspension builds but they never seem to actually scratch the surface as to what these big money kits can do or are even made for. With that being said, I'm looking to see what you guys would have in mind if you only had $800.00 to spend on a suspension, was looking for 2.5" - 3" lift and only planned on doing basic trails, nothing insane - no more then 800 - 1000lbs of cargo.

A quick Google search lead me to a post in 2016 where an individual stated the following... however the link no longer works.

http://www.headstrongoffroad.com/store/p227/Coil/Blistein_5100_Kit_(HS05BK-1).html
select:
OME 885
HS 3 leaf AAL
assemble yourself
$738

If you want to save another $100 just buy the springs from HS ($372 with trim packer for driver side lean), and get the struts/shocks from jet.com, use the code SHOP15, and 5100's cost about $250 front/rear. Run you about $630 total.

If you have a TRD OR just get the 5100's for the front since the 5100's in the rear are essentially identical to the factory TRD OR shocks.

Nothing wrong with 5100s. I'm actually swapping mine with rear extended versions but you're going to need a full leaf pack for that weight.

I'm static with over 400 lbs with that same AAL and leafs are now flat.

Nothing wrong with 5100s. I'm actually swapping mine with rear extended versions but you're going to need a full leaf pack for that weight.

I'm static with over 400 lbs with that same AAL and leafs are now flat.

I guess my question is, since I see a bunch of people post this elusive 5100's - what exactly is that kit?

PS. Are you selling yours? :) Are they in decent condition?

Bilstein 5100's are a solid choice. Definitely an upgrade but still won't break the bank. Check out our vendor forum and there should be plenty of places selling the Bilstein 5100 combos.

The real question is how do you lift the rear. While putting a new shock back there is great, the lift and ride really come from the springs. An add a leaf is a pretty budget minded solution but it does not address the heavy weight you said you'd want to be carrying. OME Dakars are pretty much the standard and they increase your ride height and weight capacity. Deavers and Alcan are other great options but even more expensive. The Icon RXT is a nice choice as well because you can make it grow with the truck.

Lets talk cheap... now before y'all go bashing me hear my logic. I see so many people go out dropping $3,000 - $5,000 on suspension builds but they never seem to actually scratch the surface as to what these big money kits can do or are even made for. With that being said, I'm looking to see what you guys would have in mind if you only had $800.00 to spend on a suspension, was looking for 2.5" - 3" lift and only planned on doing basic trails, nothing insane - no more then 800 - 1000lbs of cargo.

A quick Google search lead me to a post in 2016 where an individual stated the following... however the link no longer works.
Bilstien 5100/5160 upgraded springs combo add a leaf or ome with add a leaf we’ll in that budget I have had my 5100/5160 for a year now and it’s still holding up strong and have a bused a bit lol

the others explained it well.

keep an eye on the for sell when they're ready to go ?

I guess my question is, since I see a bunch of people post this elusive 5100's - what exactly is that kit?

PS. Are you selling yours? :) Are they in decent condition?

I reached out to Marie over at Headstrong, we're discussing my options for their 5100 kit w/ a AAL, the 3 HS ALL would bring me to $837.99 but I'm not sure about if I need that or just the Deaver single - I'll keep y'all posted!

So I did some chatting with Marie today, it was determined that I could get away with the 5100, 888 Coils and the Maxtrac 1.5" Lift Block & U-Bolt Kit which would get me out the door $742.99.

Back