• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Suspension Help

keep in mind that anyone with icons kings fox will never recommend these basic ones cause they have the cadillacs. With that in mind its overkill for alot of situations.

This is good to know. It easy for someone like me to get lost in the premium brand names over a cheaper brands that are perfectly functional for what I need. I appreciate it.

This is good to know. It easy for someone like me to get lost in the premium brand names over a cheaper brands that are perfectly functional for what I need. I appreciate it.

I did it cause I could afford to at the time ;)

now I gotta rely on my sugar mama for truck parts

lmao.... no regerts!!! im not yet sure what the countryside is like out here in MN. I bought my suspension w/ the intention of slayin GA and southern mountains. fingers crossed that the terrain is similar. I hear a lot of people mention iron horse
Unfortunately the amount trails in MN are lacking. There is a project called the Border to Border Touring Trail but it's not final or complete. It will run from Superior to North Dakota if/when finished. I haven't heard of Iron Horse but ill look into it. Always happy to hear about trails!

Thanks for the info. Would you go for better quality?
Pretty much what @951_yota said. What are your intentions? I have no doubt in my mind that my cheaper OME/Bilstein setup can handle whatever I’m willing to push my truck through. The nicer stuff is cool, and obviously better, but will you need it? Unlikely.

For just looking cool, bragging rights, and the satisfaction of knowing you have badass shit, get the expensive stuff.

I don’t know if you’re familiar with people building custom gaming computers, but they’re generally putting $1,000+ extra into top of the line parts that are beyond overkill. But they do it cause it’s their hobby and it feels badass.

Pretty much what @951_yota said. What are your intentions? I have no doubt in my mind that my cheaper OME/Bilstein setup can handle whatever I’m willing to push my truck through. The nicer stuff is cool, and obviously better, but will you need it? Unlikely.

For just looking cool, bragging rights, and the satisfaction of knowing you have badass shit, get the expensive stuff.

I don’t know if you’re familiar with people building custom gaming computers, but they’re generally putting $1,000+ extra into top of the line parts that are beyond overkill. But they do it cause it’s their hobby and it feels badass.
I see what you're saying. I have no reason really to buy the expensive stuff. It makes me feel better to know you like and are confident in your setup!

@Tacoma.prod since we were just talking about this, here’s my personal advice on it.

I know this thread is a tad old but I would recommend, if you have a shop in mind, letting them know you will be supplying all your parts as some shops will not let you supply your own parts. There are tons of reasons why (not the right parts, not "all" the parts, cuts into the shops money if they also sell the parts, suspension rivalries as some shops only work with certain brands, etc etc) and they may not install what you need.

When this question is asked this way, I generally advise to do the same thing I did.

You need:
  • Front coils/shocks
  • Rear leaf spring replacement or add-a-leaf
  • Rear shocks
  • A spacer for the front driver side coil to compensate for "Taco lean"

You don't need, but should definitely have if you want to be doing it right the first time:
  • Front upper control arms that can handle the extra travel of the new setup
  • Extended rear brake lines (stock lines are long enough for full droop, but upgrading them is safer)
  • A spacer for your driveshaft to lose some of the gained angle (carrier bearing)
  • The ECGS bushing to replace the needle bearing in your front diff which is known to vibrate/wear out faster after lifting
Does this come in a kit? Not really, but HeadStrong Off-road creates kits to make this easier for us, and I recommend this one: https://www.headstrongoffroad.com/store/p402/Coil/Bilstein_5100_Kit_w/_Dakars_(HS16BK-1-Dakar).html

• It will ask you to select your coil type - I recommend the 887.
  • Then if you want your front coils/shocks assembled - I recommend doing that. Doing it yourself can be hard and/or dangerous.
  • Then if you want those upper control arms I mentioned - I recommend the Light Racing option. They are inexpensive but really make a difference. They're also adjustable which can help with your tires rubbing.
  • Then it will ask which leaf pack you want. Medium would be for "regular" use, and heavy would be if you know you'll have a RTT, tons of gear, pull trailers, etc. I recommend heavy because it's there when you need it and the ride isn't rough at all.

The way I just set it up will come to $1700 which is really not bad for what you're getting. It also comes with those extra items I mentioned you should have, except for that ECGS bushing, which is here: https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-8536125-toyota-8-clamshell-bushing-eliminates-needle-bearing.html

I abuse the hell out of mine and it absolutely rides better than stock.

@Tyler

The Headstrong kit is on the way! Thanks for the help... For the bushing, do I need the axle seal?

@Tyler

The Headstrong kit is on the way! Thanks for the help... For the bushing, do I need the axle seal?
Nice! Which kit did you go with? i'm looking at the coil/bilstein 5100 with dakars kit right now. Also, what's the turnaround time to delivery?

If youre doing basic suspension setup and dont require fabrication is incredibly easy to do yourself. just get some jack stands and a solid jack and it could take you 4-5 hours.

Nice! Which kit did you go with? i'm looking at the coil/bilstein 5100 with dakars kit right now. Also, what's the turnaround time to delivery?
@Audidood I ordered the same kit on Sunday at 2 am and most of it will be here on the 17th. I'll have to wait on the leaf pack and I haven't received a shipping notice yet so I'm not sure when that will arrive. I'm not mechanically inclined so @Tyler broke it all down for me on page 1 of this thread of you're interested.

If youre doing basic suspension setup and dont require fabrication is incredibly easy to do yourself. just get some jack stands and a solid jack and it could take you 4-5 hours.
@PROTACO17 I just don't trust myself yet, lol. Maybe one day when the truck is older I'll attempt my own installs. For now I'll keep learning... ??‍♂️

Back