• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Suspension and Tires

Oregon 3rd Gen

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Cement
Ok Tacoma 3G family.
So the truck was put to the test a few weekends ago. The lift and tires have got to happen, bone stock ain’t cutting it.

I plan to run bilstein 5100s. Looking for roughly 2.5 inches

My questions:
The adjustable 5100s is the way to go over the non adjustable?

What is the biggest tire size I can run on 16s without any rubbing?

If I plan to run a RTT on a bed rack, do I need to AAL?

Any help is appreciated. There’s just so much info, a thread with the info I need is just easier.
Thanks again ?

Last edited:
I would say yes get the adjustable one and prbably 600 or 650 pound coil, and with with RTT and bed rack probably whole leaf pack over add a leaf

I would say yes get the adjustable one and prbably 600 or 650 pound coil, and with with RTT and bed rack probably whole leaf pack over add a leaf
Ok cool thanks. What about tire size? Wanting to have no rub and no cutting

Ok cool thanks. What about tire size? Wanting to have no rub and no cutting
Um not to sure exactly generally you can do the 285/75r16 or 285/70r17 depending on offset and backspacing, with my methods I never had a problem but my friend with scs wheels and 255/80r17 he got rubbing when those can apparently fit stock

Um not to sure exactly generally you can do the 285/75r16 or 285/70r17 depending on offset and backspacing, with my methods I never had a problem but my friend with scs wheels and 255/80r17 he got rubbing when those can apparently fit stock
Ok I’ll probably get the lift done and then head to discount tire and test different sizes and see what works best. Thanks for the help

Hey bud,

I actually had a great conversation about this same topic with Marie over at Headstrong Offroad. 5100's will give you 2.5" of lift depending on your coil selection, I will be going with the 888's. As far as the rear, you can run blocks but if you plan on adding any moderate amount of weight, I'd suggest an AAL.

I'm also considering the Dobinsons 2.0" Lift Kit, it's essentially Dobinsons struts & springs w/ blocks in the rear. Goes for about $740.00.

Hey bud,

I actually had a great conversation about this same topic with Marie over at Headstrong Offroad. 5100's will give you 2.5" of lift depending on your coil selection, I will be going with the 888's. As far as the rear, you can run blocks but if you plan on adding any moderate amount of weight, I'd suggest an AAL.

I'm also considering the Dobinsons 2.0" Lift Kit, it's essentially Dobinsons struts & springs w/ blocks in the rear. Goes for about $740.00.
How much lift with the 888s? Looking for 2-2.5

When you say no rubbing, do you intend to use the truck on 4x4 trails? Or just on pavement/dirt roads?

When you asked about the AAL for the RTT, do you mean for the stock leaf springs? If you are lifting the front of the truck 2.5", you'll want to do something to the back to level it out to the front and not have Cali-lean. Typically people do the OME Dakar leaf springs with the 5100s in the front. One AAL on the stock leaf springs will have your truck sagging in the rear, especially with the RTT and other gear.

How much lift with the 888s? Looking for 2-2.5

According to Headstrong Offroad, this is what the 888 coils are worth for lift, realistically anything over 2.5" and you're going ot want to consider UCA from what I've read. The only thing I'm unsure about is what exactly you can fit for a tire without cutting / rubbing issues.

Headstrong Offroad said:
OME 888 coils 590 lb spring rate 405 mm in length (not recommended for 05-15 models, approx. 2.5” of lift on a base stock weight 2016-current 4dr 4wd v6 auto)

When you say no rubbing, do you intend to use the truck on 4x4 trails? Or just on pavement/dirt roads?

When you asked about the AAL for the RTT, do you mean for the stock leaf springs? If you are lifting the front of the truck 2.5", you'll want to do something to the back to level it out to the front and not have Cali-lean. Typically people do the OME Dakar leaf springs with the 5100s in the front. One AAL on the stock leaf springs will have your truck sagging in the rear, especially with the RTT and other gear.
I do plan to use it off-road. I found this kit

I’m probably gonna get the lift done and then just spend the day at the tire shop testing sizes.

Back