• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Suspension Advice/help

YotaCampingPDX

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 Sport DCLB Auto
White
I have never built a Taco before and need some serious advice when it comes to suspension. I have a 2017 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB. I've included a pic am wondering what would be the best suspension, especially when the bed is loaded and pulling a boat. It’s my everyday driver and I plan on overlanding.

Minimum lift height? Max?
Would like to put KO2's on after the suspension.

Attachments

• Full package.jpg
    Full package.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
For what you want to use it for and not breaking the bank:

OME 887 coils with Bilstein 5100 shocks (front)
SPC upper control arms (optional)

Dakar heavy duty leaf springs for towing with Bilstein 5100 shocks (rear)

You’ll be able to fit 285/75 KO2’s.

Looks like this:
CC457C6D-47E7-4F84-8C2F-56A29E0A5DEB.jpeg

Looks like this:
Are you running any spacers or CMC to fit the 285s?

Are you running any spacers or CMC to fit the 285s?

CMC shouldn’t be required depending on back spacing, spacers possibly for top clearance

No I’m not running either. There’s some rubbing while off-road but it’s fine.
Are you rubbing just the plastic splash guards or on metal like UCA, cab mount? I just keep hearing mixed reviews from people who said TW said so. Lol.

Looks like this:
I took Tyler's advise and went with this kit and had professionals install it. The shop that installed it told me the kit was well thought out and cheaper than what they could order it for...
20180812_182227.jpg

Are you rubbing just the plastic splash guards or on metal like UCA, cab mount? I just keep hearing mixed reviews from people who said TW said so. Lol.
I have rubbed the UCA but I also have it on the stock setting. It’s adjustable which should fix that. I’ve also rubbed at the CMC spot. Neither are very noticeable when wheeling and I do a ton of wheeling.

I have rubbed the UCA but I also have it on the stock setting. It’s adjustable which should fix that. I’ve also rubbed at the CMC spot. Neither are very noticeable when wheeling and I do a ton of wheeling.
Thanks for the actual user advice/review.

Keep in mind there is no definitive answer on the topic of tire rub. There will be some element of trial and error involved no matter what. Some tires are wider and taller than others of the same metric size and have different shapes and sizes of sidewall lugs. Wheel backspacing/offset significantly impacts where you rub and to what extent. And to compound the variability, two identical trucks with different alignment specs will rub differently as well. Not to mention the variation in trucks themselves, shock lengths / wheel travel, etc.

Honestly this post has been the most helpful so far. You guys are awesome. So Headstrong OffRoad offers a kit with an AAL, any insight on AAL with 5100s front and rear with 887 coils?

One question I have about the Dakar’s is what’s the lift height you get on the rear with the HD spring pack? I want to be as level as possible

Looks like this:
My question is why did you go with Bilstein shocks instead of OME’s?

Good question. Why don’t they get the shocks that were designed for OME coils.

Back