• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Steve’s 2017 TRD Off Road 4x4 Build

Strand31p

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
I’m Steven and I have a 2017 TRD Offroad 4x4 I purchased the truck May 22, 2017. I’ve always have driven Toyota’s my first truck was a 1994 toyota pick up 4x4 extended cab witch I still have. Then I had a 2011 Tacoma prerunner 2wd, sold it to my uncle and now I have my 3rd gen. So here is my build that will never end!
DDE3EB93-4952-4D28-B7E1-815334930605.jpeg

The day I picked the truck up.
5D8C340F-6E60-449D-B097-6352C02CCCF5.jpeg
33533586-9E09-445B-84DB-AFF0DD233867.jpeg

Current pics of it now.

Here is a couple pictures of the old trucks.
E1E6EE17-C524-4D3F-97B7-ED5A313AEE4F.jpeg

2011 on 35s miss that truck.
4043552A-B27B-4E1E-81BD-581BBF1759C0.jpeg

94 is waiting for new engine and long travel or SAS.

Here’s the current mod list:

Audio:
Nothing for audio yet

Recovery gear:
ARD snatch strap
ARB tree saver
Rhino recovery strap
Wynnsky tire repair kit
via air compressor
Mini shovel
Halo jump box/ jumper cables
Rhino D rings
Hi lift jack
Treds recovery boards

Lighting:
BHLM done
2018 Toyota OEM taillights
PIAA platinum led bulbs (lows)
PIAA extreme halogen bulbs (highs)
KC gravity led clear fog light kit
KC gravity led pro 6 20” light bar behind grille
BAMF behind grille mount
Blacked out mirror turn signals
Sr5 fog light bezels

Suspension:
Total chaos upper control arms
King extended travel 2.5 coilovers resi and adjusters (650 coils)
King extended travel 2.5 rear resi
Wheelers u bolt flip kit
MCM fab rear bumpstop kit ads bumpstops
Ome dakar light duty leaf pack

Performance:
AFE cat back dumped at the axle

Wheels/tires:
5 Method double standard 17”
285/75r17 falken wildpeak at3
Full size spare mounted in the bed

Armor:
RCI bolt on rock sliders w kick out

Camping gear:
Tepui ruggedized kukenam 3 rtt
Relentless fab bed bars
Honda 2000 generator

Other:
Expedition Essentials TPAM
OEM bed mat
5% window tint over factory tint
Total chaos bed stiffeners
Weather tech floor mats
TRD pro grille
ARB rear diff breather

Parts ordered not installed:
SDHQ ditch light mounts

Last edited:
Welcome Steve and nice truck! Good to have another AZ guy on board.

We've got a little Broken Arrow trail run coming up on Saturday, September 1st if you're interested in joining us?

Thank you! You got a nice looking truck too. I would be down to tag along.

Color matched my rear bumper caps at work The other day. CBI rear bumper in the future.
48040E8C-8B7F-47DC-80EA-277E0BA31B8E.jpeg
7F2D4DF0-5515-4E5C-A7B0-84C4A6216A91.jpeg

Hey Steve. Welcome to T3G.

Do you still have the lights in/on the grille? Any more pics of them?

Hey Steve. Welcome to T3G.

Do you still have the lights in/on the grille? Any more pics of them?

Ya still have them in the grille. I’ll grab a pic tomorrow with the grille off of the mounting.

A9E1171F-B430-48ED-98CE-DB3D817FF472.jpeg
9836592F-EFAA-496F-9F3A-C3DCFEE9D5A1.jpeg
B03885A4-BA8D-470B-8C65-BEDBC0332D27.jpeg

I see it on Instagram and always dig the uniqueness of that. What’s the story on why you did it that way?

It kinda started with the second gen I had. I installed the light bars flush with the outside of the bumper rather behind the grille. Everyone has the light bars behind the grille witch looks great and was planning on doing that myself. But had an idea with the KC lights and Cutting up the pro grille to make them set flush with the outside. And I haven’t seen it done with a pro grille so I wanted to be a little different.

The benefit of a hydro bump stop Is it will slow down the axle with it is hit the strike plate so it doesn’t bottom out harsh and rebound with a lot of energy like a stock bumpstop. A stock bumpstop does not slow down the axle it hit that rubber bump and bottom out hard and rebounds with a lot of energy. You can also valve them to your specific set up and rebuild them too. The hydro bumpstops are spendy but wothor every penny. The wheeler super bumps and timbern bump stop and the plastic guy from TW are great bumpstop replacements to. Way better than stock bumps.

The benefit of a hydro bump stop Is it will slow down the axle with it is hit the strike plate so it doesn’t bottom out harsh and rebound with a lot of energy like a stock bumpstop. A stock bumpstop does not slow down the axle it hit that rubber bump and bottom out hard and rebounds with a lot of energy. You can also valve them to your specific set up and rebuild them too. The hydro bumpstops are spendy but wothor every penny. The wheeler super bumps and timbern bump stop and the plastic guy from TW are great bumpstop replacements to. Way better than stock bumps.
So is the best application for a hydro if you are gonna be running through the desert pretty fast?

Back