• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Spare Tire Mount Ideas

jonnnny.p

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Hey all!

I’m looking for some input on where I should store my spare 33” tire. I like minimal and I was seriously considering the Wilco bed rail mount. But, now I also think I want a Frontrunner bed rack so I don’t believe the Wilco mount will fit. I don’t think I want a hitch mount cause I often use my hitch mount bike rack and also occasionally pull a small camper.

Should I just mount on top of the FR rack?
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hey all!

I’m looking for some input on where I should store my spare 33” tire. I like minimal and I was seriously considering the Wilco bed rail mount. But, now I also think I want a Frontrunner bed rack so I don’t believe the Wilco mount will fit. I don’t think I want a hitch mount cause I often use my hitch mount bike rack and also occasionally pull a small camper.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
33 will fit under the truck still. You need to do a little love with a hammer. But it’ll fit.

Holy crap that Wilco bed rail mount is expensive!!! $275?!?! Also appears to make your rearview mirror totally useless.

Underneath is ideal. Try to find the skinniest tire that is still nominally a 33" diameter. That's what I intend to do when I size up.

-M

This is
If I were to do it again, I would keep the spare underneath. Theres gonna be pros and cons to each location of where you keep it.
why I got rid of my swing out. Tired of not having easy access to the tailgate.

I wish 35’s would fit under the bed.

877A2588-840D-4C07-98DB-2B2B6E41231E.jpeg
8BF11382-80BE-42A3-9523-5A055C5AC221.jpeg
43A0AB1C-CE85-4219-A563-0E83181B42E1.jpeg
42EDE86B-DC8B-4BD0-A006-686CA71A06D5.jpeg

So I hammered back the rear metal supports and got it jammed in there. It is touching where the leaf mounts on the driver side and is damn near touching the exhaust pipe in the passenger side. You guys think this is alright??

877A2588-840D-4C07-98DB-2B2B6E41231E.jpeg
8BF11382-80BE-42A3-9523-5A055C5AC221.jpeg
43A0AB1C-CE85-4219-A563-0E83181B42E1.jpeg
42EDE86B-DC8B-4BD0-A006-686CA71A06D5.jpeg

So I hammered back the rear metal supports and got it jammed in there. It is touching where the leaf mounts on the driver side and is damn near touching the exhaust pipe in the passenger side. You guys think this is alright??
What you just discovered is why I say a 33 wont fit. I know a lot of guys cram a 33 in there and swear they fit. But I still dont like how close it sits to the exhaust and suspension. Nothing ever really fits the way it should if you have to force it. That goes for tires and anything else in life lol.

Last edited:
is it rubbing, or making any noises?? I don't think the exhaust would be hot enough to do any damage to the tread, but it is definitely tight squeeze in there.

I've actually got a real 285 under there, and I did no hammering. It doesn't fit all the way flush, but its darn close. I worry zero seconds about exhaust heat.

It rubs a bit on the two 'brackets' that hang down, but it's up under there tight enough that it's a non-issue.

You'll be fine.

I've actually got a real 285 under there, and I did no hammering. It doesn't fit all the way flush, but its darn close. I worry zero seconds about exhaust heat.

It rubs a bit on the two 'brackets' that hang down, but it's up under there tight enough that it's a non-issue.

You'll be fine.
How is the spare working out? I have 255/80R17 wildpeaks. They are just a little taller -- but way narrower. I was hoping to put a full size spare under there too.

I’m going to be throwing my spare 34” tire vertically flat up against the front of the bed. Using some t slot nuts and tie down rings to strap it in and a thick cable lock to secure it. When I get my truck back from the shop I can show a pic and drop a parts list

Hey all!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
I tried to go with something different. Luckily, I can raise my bed rack if I want to use the rear view mirror instead of the camera.

Attachments

• 7AB3BAEF-AC71-4DDA-BC23-F45374C6987B.jpeg
    7AB3BAEF-AC71-4DDA-BC23-F45374C6987B.jpeg
    765.9 KB · Views: 133

You'll be fine.
285/70 17, 285/75 17, or 285 75 16? 285 is just the width.

-M

Back