• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Reference Snorkel Knowledge Dump

RevN3

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Blazing Blue Pearl
So I've been thinking about getting a snorkel for awhile now and I thought I'd throw up what I've learned and where new/updated info can be posted. We have surprisingly few snorkel posts. This post will be updated as I learn more.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
FAQ:

- Do I really need a snorkel?

"You definitely don’t need one. I think there are three major reasons to consider one:
  1. For the looks. I’m putting this one first on purpose. Snorkels are made fun of all the time and no one likes to admit they bought their expensive overland gear to make their truck look cooler. But let’s be honest, a snorkel DOES make a truck look like a serious off-road vehicle, and people DO hate or love the way they look. So, if you think they look cool, I don’t see why you shouldn’t be allowed to have one on your truck. Forget the stigma.
  2. For a clean air box. If you do a lot of desert/dusting wheeling, they are known to keep a significant amount of the dust out of your air box/filter, especially if you turn the head backwards. Before I had one I did plenty of desert trips in Cali and my air filter would be caked with dirt after each one. A snorkel does help prevent that.
  3. For its most commonly known use, water fording. I purposely put this one last because I don’t see people fording water this deep almost ever (on a 3rd gen Tacoma, at least). But, if you ever are in the rare situation that you need to cross water deeper than the top of your hood, you could." - Tyler
"I purchased the snorkel for the sole purpose of cleaner air...with the bumper cutting away the OEM plastic it allows for a lot more debris and dust and crap to get up into the fender well area and the filter just gets incredibly nasty in about a month! " -TRDOFHOLLAND

- You are cutting into your fender. How do you avoid rust?

"To avoid rust, after you cut, sand your cuts. Then prime the bare metal edges and then paint it. Lastly, apply a silicone gasket where the snorkel meets the holes on the outside and inside of the fender. I think that will be sufficient. That’s how I did it. " - Tyler

- What about water/rain getting in it?

"Simply put, rain is a non-issue for snorkels. The heads are designed to minimize the water that can get into them. Any water that does make it through will evaporate before it makes it through the length of the snorkel and into the air box. Any water that makes it as far as the air box won’t be sucked through the filter and into your engine, so there’s nothing to worry about. When washing the truck you would obviously need to avoid spraying water directly into the intake, however. " - Tyler

- What Snorkels are available for Gen3 Tacomas?

Safari Snorkel
by ARB is around $545
ARB: Safari Snorkels
Install: TUTORIAL - 3rd Gen Safari Snorkel Intall - A Step by Step How-To Article
Buy: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N20HBS9/?tag=tacoma3g-20
Buy: https://www.autoanything.com/air-intakes/arb-safari-snorkel

Dobinsons Snorkel is $300 directly from Dobinsons
FAQ: Dobinsons Snorkel FAQ and Details
Buy: Dobinsons 4x4 Snorkel Kit for Toyota Tacoma 2016+ 3.5L V6(SN59-3463)

SoFlo Bumpers Snorkel for $285 or $250?
Install: TUTORIAL - Soflobumpers snorkel for 3rd gen Tacoma install
Buy: Home | SOFLO BUMPERS (This site is in great need of updating)

Volant makes a "universal" snorkel for $440 that doesn't appear on their website.
Volant: Snorkel
Buy: Volant Snorkel (Black) - 38857

Hauk OffRoad has a line of River Raid Snorkels, it looks like they are made for Jeeps but also claim "Universal fitment" for $700
Hauk: River Raider Snorkels
Buy: Hauk Offroad Snorkel Kit with Filter - SNK-2309-F

Stock snorkel on the TRD Pro AKA Desert Air Intake Package $725 (No longer available)
BYT: Build Your Own Toyota | Toyota Configurator

Inhouse Snorkel imported by Sloop $815-$915:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Great information so far.

Here are my opinions on your questions:

To avoid rust, after you cut, sand your cuts. Then prime the bare metal edges and then paint it. Lastly, apply a silicone gasket where the snorkel meets the holes on the outside and inside of the fender. I think that will be sufficient. That’s how I did it.

You definitely don’t need one. I think there are three major reasons to consider one:
  1. For the looks. I’m putting this one first on purpose. Snorkels are made fun of all the time and no one likes to admit they bought their expensive overland gear to make their truck look cooler. But let’s be honest, a snorkel DOES make a truck look like a serious off-road vehicle, and people DO hate or love the way they look. So, if you think they look cool, I don’t see why you shouldn’t be allowed to have one on your truck. Forget the stigma.
  2. For a clean air box. If you do a lot of desert/dusting wheeling, they are known to keep a significant amount of the dust out of your air box/filter, especially if you turn the head backwards. Before I had one I did plenty of desert trips in Cali and my air filter would be caked with dirt after each one. A snorkel does help prevent that.
  3. For its most commonly known use, water fording. I purposely put this one last because I don’t see people fording water this deep almost ever (on a 3rd gen Tacoma, at least). But, if you ever are in the rare situation that you need to cross water deeper than the top of your hood, you could.

Another thing people wonder about when considering a snorkel is the rain. Simply put, rain is a non-issue for snorkels. The heads are designed to minimize the water that can get into them. Any water that does make it through will evaporate before it makes it through the length of the snorkel and into the air box. Any water that makes it as far as the air box won’t be sucked through the filter and into your engine, so there’s nothing to worry about. When washing the truck you would obviously need to avoid spraying water directly into the intake, however.

Upvote 0
Solflobumpers I think is having a sale for all snorkel $225.

Same as Tyler, I painted the hole after cutting to avoid rust.

Yes, you need a snorkel. My air filter is kept a whole lot cleaner than before. I bought for looks but enjoy not having to blow off my filter every time I take a trip off-road.

Upvote 0

Here are my opinions on your questions....

Great answers. Are you okay with my incorporating them into the first post?

Re #2. Clean air box. So, last fall when I took my trip out into Eastern Oregon on the Coyoteworks trip (self promotion: https://tacoma3g.com/threads/update...-works-overland-rally-in-eastern-oregon.9391/) I was in a lot of dust. At least I thought it was a lot of dust. Once I got back onto the pavement I took out my air filter and I was expecting it to be loaded but it really wasn't. There was not any dust at all as far as I could tell. I can't imagine being in a more dusty environment unless I somehow take a wrong turn and end up at burning man or something. So yeah, I think if I got it it would just be for looks. So I'm still on the fence.

Upvote 0
It sure makes people look at your truck more. Especially where I am right now, and no one else has them.

Man the looks I get. Most are the look of “who’s this back woods redneck and what’s this piece of crap doing at Macy’s...

It cracks me up.

Upvote 0
Great answers. Are you okay with my incorporating them into the first post?

Re #2. Clean air box. So, last fall when I took my trip out into Eastern Oregon on the Coyoteworks trip (self promotion: https://tacoma3g.com/threads/update...-works-overland-rally-in-eastern-oregon.9391/) I was in a lot of dust. At least I thought it was a lot of dust. Once I got back onto the pavement I took out my air filter and I was expecting it to be loaded but it really wasn't. There was not any dust at all as far as I could tell. I can't imagine being in a more dusty environment unless I somehow take a wrong turn and end up at burning man or something. So yeah, I think if I got it it would just be for looks. So I'm still on the fence.
There’s clearly dust in your videos but compared to the dust in the dry deserts of California, it didn’t seem that bad. Dust gets so thick in the desert, you literally can’t see the truck in front of you. That’s why so many people have amber lights on the back of their trucks. In your case, yeah, it might just be for looks, but if anyone gives you shit you’ll still be able to shut them down by confidently explaining why it really benefits your truck (dust/water fording). It’s still personal preference whether you want this dramatic cosmetic change or not because you don’t NEED it in the same way you do rock sliders, for example.

And yes, it would be fine to add that info to the first post. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Bonus photo of my Photoshop shenanigans:

E0A2EA12-309D-425D-9D47-D06E0FC5A8E7.jpeg

Upvote 0
Ive been really impressed with my SOFLO snorkel, for how often the truck hits trees going down a trail I didnt want to spend the extra money just to have the plastic all scratched and dinged up, plus solfo had a great black friday sale! I purchased the snorkel for the sole purpose of cleaner air...with the bumper cutting away the OEM plastic it allows for a lot more debris and dust and crap to get up into the fender well area and the filter just gets incredibly nasty in about a month! So far no issues with the snorkel in terms of water (You can see its turned backwards in the photo, we had a heavy snow storm the night before).

Does anyone during WOT get a vibration in their intake system after installing a snorkel? Ive been having this issue for a few weeks, everythings tight and re-tightened...super annoying :p

asdc.jpg

Upvote 0
I purchased the snorkel for the sole purpose of cleaner air...with the bumper cutting away the OEM plastic it allows for a lot more debris and dust and crap to get up into the fender well area and the filter just gets incredibly nasty in about a month!

That's an excellent point. I'm adding it to the main post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Here are my opinions on your questions:

To avoid rust, after you cut, sand your cuts. Then prime the bare metal edges and then paint it. Lastly, apply a silicone gasket where the snorkel meets the holes on the outside and inside of the fender. I think that will be sufficient. That’s how I did it.

You definitely don’t need one. I think there are three major reasons to consider one:
  3. For its most commonly known use, water fording. I purposely put this one last because I don’t see people fording water this deep almost ever (on a 3rd gen Tacoma, at least). But, if you ever are in the rare situation that you need to cross water deeper than the top of your hood, you could.

Another thing people wonder about when considering a snorkel is the rain. Simply put, rain is a non-issue for snorkels. The heads are designed to minimize the water that can get into them. Any water that does make it through will evaporate before it makes it through the length of the snorkel and into the air box. Any water that makes it as far as the air box won’t be sucked through the filter and into your engine, so there’s nothing to worry about. When washing the truck you would obviously need to avoid spraying water directly into the intake, however.
@Rev N I forgot a minor perk of having a snorkel. I would normally never mention this because of how minor this is. But this is an info dump thread so I should mention it.

The last function of the snorkel is that it technically functions as a type of cold air intake, which is a mod people like to do (despite them being questionably useful). That said, the snorkel can technically improve power and fuel mileage. However, you’ll never notice the power increase, if there even is one, but a dyno test might (if you were blowing air into the snorkel with an industrial fan). As for fuel mileage, you might see a 1-2mpg increase with the snorkel. I think I’m seeing a very small increase on mine. But again, this is so minimal, it shouldn’t really be a deciding factor for someone unsure about snorkels.

Upvote 0
@Rev N ...As for fuel mileage, you might see a 1-2mpg increase with the snorkel. I think I’m seeing a very small increase on mine. But again, this is so minimal, it shouldn’t really be a deciding factor for someone unsure about snorkels...

Might be a 1 to 1 trade off if you have a Sport and remove the lower lip, eh? ;)

I did a short ram air intake on one of my previous cars. One thing I noticed on that was a change in the engine note, it was a bit throatier. Is that something you get with a Snorkel? Also, on that topic does it cause much wind noise?

Upvote 0
Might be a 1 to 1 trade off if you have a Sport and remove the lower lip, eh? ;)

I did a short ram air intake on one of my previous cars. One thing I noticed on that was a change in the engine note, it was a bit throatier. Is that something you get with a Snorkel? Also, on that topic does it cause much wind noise?
Lol, true!

Just like how minimal the other stuff I mentioned is, it would theoretically get throatier, but with all other noises factored in, you won’t hear it even if it does.

Likewise, I don’t imagine you’d notice additional wind noise over how relatively loud the cabins on these trucks already are. In my case though, my 35” tires are very loud, and before the snorkel I seemed to notice wind noise pretty easily, so while I don’t think the snorkel made it any worse, maybe it would on a different truck.

Upvote 0
Added Alphaequipt

Upvote 0
You cannot water ford with the Tacoma snorkel. Even if you could, every breather installed on the vehicle would be submerged.

Upvote 0
“Toyota technically calls its snorkel the “desert air intake” to not fool anyone into thinking they can cross the Hudson River or some other ridiculously deep body of water. The roof-mounted air intake doesn’t increase the pickups fording depth. Toyota actually says that snorkel-equipped Tacomas shouldn’t even be taken through the automatic car wash because it could damage the vehicle.”

Upvote 0
I want to jump in on this one.
I will start off by saying I'm not a huge fan of any of the common snorkels you see installed. I don't like the way they look and found them to have little purpose other than the broverlander look. I would tell myself "I will never submerge my truck that deep to need one."
I felt this way for a while, and went on multiple wheeling trips with out one.
Until and this is the big kicker, you or someone you wheel with hydro locks a 1 year old vehicle with less than 9,000 miles on a trail in a small hole where the water did not go above the middle of the tire. Most people think the snorkel is over kill (admittedly I did too) my mind has been completely changed as I was there on the trial when it happened. There was no deep submersion, there was no gun it through the water, it was a decent smooth pace where as far as we can all tell, water got above the inner fender liner and sucked right in to the air box. Stock and lifted vehicles went through the same hole before and after with no issues. This one incident proved to me it is worth it to have a snorkel even if it's just for for peace of mind.

Will I ever go that deep, no, but as I witnessed you don't need to go that deep to ruin an engine. And I know there will be people out that there that say I run through deep holes all the time with no issues. And to that, I will say no issues so far. And I'm almost sure you would change your mind if it happened in your group while you were there on the trail. Its a bad sinking feeling, If you wheel where its wet, I recommend you install one. They are quite a bit cheaper than an engine.

Since I hate they way they look, I started to search for a different option that was more along my style and functioned in the same manner.
I found an off road shop from Australia that I believe makes the best looking snorkels for the Hilux and the Tacoma.
They are In House Fab which is sold here in the states through Sloop Imports. I was lucky enough to get my hands on one and will be installing it soon on my channel. I believe there is at least a 6 month wait time for one currently.
Here are a couple of pics from when it came in.

IMG_3348.JPG
IMG_3347.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I want to jump in on this one.
I will start off by saying I'm not a huge fan of any of the common snorkels you see installed. I don't like the way they look and found them to have little purpose other than the broverlander look. I would tell myself "I will never submerge my truck that deep to need one."
I felt this way for a while, and went on multiple wheeling trips with out one.
Until and this is the big kicker, you or someone you wheel with hydro locks a 1 year old vehicle with less than 9,000 miles on a trail in a small hole where the water did not go above the middle of the tire. Most people think the snorkel is over kill (admittedly I did too) my mind has been completely changed as I was there on the trial when it happened. There was no deep submersion, there was no gun it through the water, it was a decent smooth pace where as far as we can all tell, water got above the inner fender liner and sucked right in to the air box. Stock and lifted vehicles went through the same hole before and after with no issues. This one incident proved to me it is worth it to have a snorkel even if it's just for for peace of mind.

Will I ever go that deep, no, but as I witnessed you don't need to go that deep to ruin an engine. And I know there will be people out that there that say I run through deep holes all the time with no issues. And to that, I will say no issues so far. And I'm almost sure you would change your mind if it happened in your group while you were there on the trail. Its a bad sinking feeling, If you wheel where its wet, I recommend you install one. They are quite a bit cheaper than an engine.

Since I hate they way they look, I started to search for a different option that was more along my style and functioned in the same manner.
I found an off road shop from Australia that I believe makes the best looking snorkels for the Hilux and the Tacoma.
They are In House Fab which is sold here in the states through Sloop Imports. I was lucky enough to get my hands on one and will be installing it soon on my channel. I believe there is at least a 6 month wait time for one currently.
Here are a couple of pics from when it came in.
Good post, I added it to the list. Please link your install video here once it's up.

Upvote 0
I’ll try again...

Your snorkels are worthless.

Upvote 0
Talk about worthless, nice Demon brackets. I felt the same way as you until recently, you'll change your mind once it happens to you or around you.
Don't mind Nicky, he's our resident grump. He keeps us from taking ourselves too seriously though.

Upvote 0
Talk about worthless, nice Demon brackets. I felt the same way as you until recently, you'll change your mind once it happens to you or around you.
I’ll change my mind? You think I’ll change my mind about Toyota openly stating that the Desert Air Intake will not increase your ability to water ford? You think I’ll change my mind about Toyota openly stating they do not recommend a truck with a Desert Air Intake even be used in a car wash without being covered up? You think I’ll change my mind about the reason Toyota discontinued the Desert Air Intake all together? You think I’ll change my mind about the location of every breather installed on these trucks?

Okay.

Also:
Rating is not for the brackets. Do not try and use these as functional points.

Upvote 0
I’ll change my mind? You think I’ll change my mind about Toyota openly stating that the Desert Air Intake will not increase your ability to water ford? You think I’ll change my mind about Toyota openly stating they do not recommend a truck with a Desert Air Intake even be used in a car wash without being covered up? You think I’ll change my mind about the reason Toyota discontinued the Desert Air Intake all together? You think I’ll change my mind about the location of every breather installed on these trucks?

Okay.
Yup, you sure will. Because Toyota can do and say whatever it wants, whenever it wants. And it can give whatever reason it wants you to believe. All that means nothing when you hydro lock an engine or someone with you on a wheeling trip does. Unless you can't understand what that might feel like and the process that immediately follows that situation. Its ok, you keep believing whatever you want. I hope that you and no one around you has to go through that event ever.

As I stated in my original post, there is no argument about fording water, or Toyota stating whatever, or diff breathers. The vehicle that hydro locked was not fording in deep water. Water came over the inner wheel well liner. I really don't know your knowledge base of our trucks. If you remove your inner passenger wheel well liner, you will see the huge opening and plastic section of the intake box, that is the location where air is sucked into the engine. Its right above a thin piece of plastic held on by several plastic clips and bolts. It is very easy for water to get into there, even in shallow, non fording type holes. I also don't know your level of wheeling or if you even go out to wheel. Sometimes out on the trails you could potentially be caught in a tight situation, in front and behind other members of your group that would require you to go through a deepish mud hole. After you understand the location of the air intake and how easy it is to get water into it, in the 5 seconds before you go through the hole hoping nothing happens. That is exactly the time you would want a little added insurance. That is when the snorkel comes into play. Some people never even think about it, that is until something happens to make you change your mind. I am 100% sure you have changed your mind at least one time in the past. Either way, you have a beautiful truck and I hope you get out there and enjoy it. You will get to know your truck better and you might just change your mind on what is needed or not. ;)

Upvote 0
The location you’re referring to is the cold air inlet. The only thing the Desert Air Intake does successfully is move that cold air inlet from inside the fender to the top of the cab. However in doing so, because it is not a sealed system, will not prevent water from accessing that inlet. In the same event, had the truck you’re referring to been equipped with a Desert Air Intake, it still would have been susceptible to hydrolocking - in addition to susceptibility from water and debris outside the vehicle.

Upvote 0
The location you’re referring to is the cold air inlet. The only thing the Desert Air Intake does successfully is move that cold air inlet from inside the fender to the top of the cab. However in doing so, because it is not a sealed system, will not prevent water from accessing that inlet. In the same event, had the truck you’re referring to been equipped with a Desert Air Intake, it still would have been susceptible to hydrolocking - in addition to susceptibility from water and debris outside the vehicle.
This is totally accurate. So for somebody who has no fender liner, what are your thoughts on snorkel (Open to exterior water ingress and debris) vs not doing anything (open to water and debris kicked up directly by the tire) I'm trying to keep the crap that gets in to a minimum and don't care about water fording but still think a snorkel might be a good option.

Upvote 0

Yup, so what you're really saying is, if the connection at the inlet is sealed, it would help in limiting the amount of water and debris which could potentially make its way into the system. Thats all i'm trying to get at. Limiting as much as we can. And, I would not install the Factory Desert Air Intake, that thing is a joke.

Upvote 0
Yup, so what you're really saying is, if the connection at the inlet is sealed, it would help in limiting the amount of water and debris which could potentially make its way into the system. Thats all i'm trying to get at. Limiting as much as we can. And, I would not install the Factory Desert Air Intake, that thing is a joke.

I’m saying IF it’s totally sealed: Nice fucking try. By the time you’re deep enough for it to matter, you’ve already got your tranny breather, both front diff breathers, your rear diff breather, and both transfer case breathers completely submerged. So congrats you prevented your engine from hydrolocking but still introduced water into virtually every other component on your vehicle - including your cabin.

But wtf do I know I’m only professionally employed in automotive manufacturing.

Upvote 0
Back