• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

SMITTYBILT

Shred_n_Tread

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.kevingeraldez.com
2017 Sport DCSB Auto
White
Hey guys, anyone have a Smittybilt rooftop tent? If so hows the quality? I've heard a couple of negative things about it. Just wondering since the price is pretty cheap compared to others. Also, I've noticed the Yakima tents are around the same price but heard negative feedback from those as well. thanks in advance for the input.

The Yakimas are made of a really thin material. Like a windbreaker. Not very confidence inspiring for long life. Plus I'm not a fan of their mount style. I've seen them broken at an REI used gear sale.

I'll check with a buddy of mine. I think he has a Smittybilt. @Malcolm might have one as well. If I'm not mistaken.

Just unpacked mine. First impression, the mattress is nice and soft and the zippers are very smooth. The instructions are low quality black and white photocopy in typical Smittybilt style though :/

As a Jeep owner as well as a Taco owner I've always liked Smittybilt products but the instructions and customer services has always been 2nd to everyone.

Very nice tent though!

Last edited:
I just bought a tepui tent last week. my very first impression was at how amazing the quality is. Every aspect is top notch and I couldn't be happier. My only problem is that I have it sitting on my Bay Area metal fabrication low profile rack and the bolts are not long enough to secure it to the rack from the rails. That should be an easy fix though with a run to the local hardware store.

I just picked up a Front Runner RTT. They are in sale on their website. Quality is really good as far as I've seen. Saved a couple bucks by picking it up myself from their store in Agoura Hills. Going to test it out this weekend.

Anyone have the smittybilt XL tent mounted on a bed rack? Read on their site it's made for a trailer mount. Seems like it work on a bed rack.

Hey guys, anyone have a Smittybilt rooftop tent? If so hows the quality? I've heard a couple of negative things about it. Just wondering since the price is pretty cheap compared to others. Also, I've noticed the Yakima tents are around the same price but heard negative feedback from those as well. thanks in advance for the input.
I bought it for the price. It has been used many times. We've added an Amazon mattress topper for extra comfort. The ladder is a bit flimsy compared to the more expensive RTTs, but that doesn't really matter, and the tent is otherwise the same in most aspects. Set up time is fast and the cover is durable, though mine has wear and tear on it now from taking it off my truck and dragging it around in my garage, lol. I have the regular sized one and it is plenty of room for my wife and I plus two dogs. I've also damaged the bottom of it (my fault) but it is holding up well despite the 1.5 foot gash it has.

Anyone have the smittybilt XL tent mounted on a bed rack? Read on their site it's made for a trailer mount. Seems like it work on a bed rack.

I had the XL for a short period on my RCI mid-level rack on my short bed. If you have a long bed or a rack that allows it to overhang the cab it would be fine. However, with a short bed and the fact that the rack stops before the end of the bed it was entirely to large for my rack. Over 2 feet hung over the end of the rack with 16 inched of that hanging over the tailgate. I downsized to the Overlander and could not be happier. The XL was a great tent with a lot of room though. The Annex did not work with my rack height, so it was useless for me. Here are some pictures of the XL on my truck so you can see what I am talking about.
IMG-0078.JPG
IMG-0089.JPG
IMG-0115.JPG

I had the XL for a short period on my RCI mid-level rack on my short bed. If you have a long bed or a rack that allows it to overhang the cab it would be fine. However, with a short bed and the fact that the rack stops before the end of the bed it was entirely to large for my rack. Over 2 feet hung over the end of the rack with 16 inched of that hanging over the tailgate. I downsized to the Overlander and could not be happier. The XL was a great tent with a lot of room though. The Annex did not work with my rack height, so it was useless for me. Here are some pictures of the XL on my truck so you can see what I am talking about.
IMG-0078.JPG
IMG-0089.JPG
IMG-0115.JPG
That thing is bigger than I thought it was!

Does anyone have their SmittyBilt Overlander (not XL) mounted on a Prinsu roof rack? I was thinking of going this route.

I’m not in the market for a RTT at the moment but I’ve done some research and when I do decide to get one it’s going to be this one for sure. Cost + quality seem to fit my needs well

I ended up buying a CVT standard pioneer. They were on sale this past weekend.

Just unpacked mine. First impression, the mattress is nice and soft and the zippers are very smooth. The instructions are low quality black and white photocopy in typical Smittybilt style though :/

As a Jeep owner as well as a Taco owner I've always liked Smittybilt products but the instructions and customer services has always been 2nd to everyone.

Very nice tent though!
Same here about Smittybilt, I own a JK also, but...I don't have a Smittybilt rack for RTT .

Back