• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Side view mirrors…Hard to see out when raining?

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
Hope one day someone will create a rear view mirrors that you can see out even in the rains and snows…?

I am looking for a roof or expendable umbrella/ roof to keep the rear view mirrors dry, when raining….sure the window will get wet too…
Rear view mirrors are requires by DOT….maybe cameras, one day may replace the hanging mirrors,( today folding mirrors works..)
The camera will be made to stay drier? Have you notice, the rear view camera gets water spots, blocking the full view?

Any ways a camera may NOT stick out as much, be able to give a wider , closer views , greater visibility!..
Wish my truck had the safety sense when vehicles are in your blind spot!

I am thinking of adding a roof in the rear view mirrors …a black plastic piece inserted? Will it work and stay on? Lol
Aloha,

Rear view is inside the car. You mean the side mirrors?

Just search: side mirror, visor, rainguard
In different combinations on search engines, Amazon and eBay.

Photo+Sep+13_+2+15+02+PM.jpg

Photo+Sep+13_+2+15+16+PM.jpg

61LXv4FAiZL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you ..I meant Sideview mirrors….Aloha

Rain guard for side mirrors. .I will look into this…yours looks cool!
Aloha

Only time I've noticed poor visibility is when the mirrors would get misty kind of rain on them. Turning the mirror heaters on helped that a bit.

Fun note, the rearview camera on the Mk. 7 VW Golf lineup flipped out of the VW emblem when in reverse. Camera was always clean and dry.

I saw a few cars..had a dash cam as side view mirrors…and you can see on center screen…”cool”…
Better viewing and able to see more…
Plus NO mirrors in the way , or sticking out…. No more broken mirrors…
Aloha
Oh I did order those mirror rain guards….I will let you know how it turns out…hope the plastic do not bend, Hawaii

My 2020 trdpro has the heated mirrors, and that actually works pretty well for vaporizing the rain off and clearing things up.

You can also roll your window down and wipe them off. 🥸

I’ve never tried it but maybe a rain-x type spray would help? Not sure if it’s meant to work like that.

Just got the ones that looks like the above pictures, except dark tint…I can see how it will wharp from the sun rays heat…just install with tape and spots of super gel glue added on the tape..Hope it holes better..with the super glue..
I will let you know in a few weeks how it is working ? I think a stiffer plastic or metal maybe better..
Wish they would make it more cup too…. Oh it did fit nicely for sure…brand new looks nice!
Aloha

Rain -X works great…just need to re-apply often..on the windows…
Heated mirrors sound great…I like the idea of a Camera, NO side mirrors needed…but the camera will need to be dry at all times..
One day they will figure out to make stay clear ,all weather side mirrors…? May look like cave…?
Aloha

My 2020 trdpro has the heated mirrors, and that actually works pretty well for vaporizing the rain off and clearing things up.

You can also roll your window down and wipe them off. 🥸
I’ve been using my heated mirrors for years also, works very well if you have them.👍

Lol…try rolling down the passenger side window to wipe the door side mirror while driving 60 mph….or any speed…
Heated mirrors..rare to see it in Hawaii… it does snow on the Big island of Hawaii every year…usually from the 9,000 and up elevations…
Most car manufacturers…keeping the side mirrors visible doing rainy , snowy,stormy conditions…is not that important for visibility…it seems…
Thank you for all the advice…!
Enjoy the “Holidays”…!

Here is what it looks like…it did rain a bit this morning…I can see it started to warp a bit…Hawaii we get plenty of sunshine…almost ever day…
Aloha

Note , does NOT stop rain on the mirrors…too bad , it seems ..No can make a rain/snow proof side mirror guards…
Guessing it would look ugly..?

Attachments

• 6C06AC2C-C41C-4FDD-9BEC-BB39518FA69C.jpeg
    6C06AC2C-C41C-4FDD-9BEC-BB39518FA69C.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 53
  • C211A86E-DB15-46B7-9E1D-62463CA5898E.jpeg
    C211A86E-DB15-46B7-9E1D-62463CA5898E.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited by a moderator:
Back