• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

@sickinch build thread

lrianbe

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cement
Hi there!

I've been lurking on this forum for some time after I bought my 2019 DCSB Cement Gray Tacoma in June of last year. When I bought the car I had absolutely intentions of taking it off-road or knew anything about the offroading community/builds which led me to make a pretty bad decision about the truck that I bought. I wanted to get a reliable daily that wasn't an inch off the floor (I come from a stance background so all I knew prior to this was how low could I make a car lol) so I ended up with the complete opposite, a rough country 6" db lift tacoma lol.

This is how she looked like the week I brought her home, rocking some AMP steps and some Fuel 18x12 -44 on Toyo Open Country

About a week after that I found out that some of my friends that I went to highschool with were into the 4x4 scene and schooled me about my lift. This was also the same time that I learned about Baja Designs

A couple weeks into owning the car my wheels arrived from Japan, 17x8.5 -10 57DR-X paired with BFGoodrich KO2s in 35x12.5r17

The rest of the year was a blur, taking her offroad for the first time, night runs, fire roads, and some good times with old and new friends. I installed a tonneau cover swearing off of a bed rack for the truck along with collecting some camping gear along the way.

Not long after that I ate my own words... got a bed rack with all the fixins... at this point I had a Baja Designs 40" S8, Squadron Pro in the Fogs, Squadron Sports for ditch lights, and S2s in the back for chase lights. Along with that I got a good deal on the cases for $100 for both of them from a friend and the RTT for $400 from a buddy as well and new headlights from AlphaRexx. Also got some rotopaxs for fuel and water and maxtraxs for when I can't get over the curb at the mall.

Over the next couple of months my front bumper and sliders arrived and a quick coat of spray paint and on to the car they went(with the awning I also added another set of squadron sports and s2s in the front) Also grabbed a Thule awning as well. Fast forward to a couple of months ago I didn't care much for my suspension as it was treating me okay, I drove a couple of my buddies car and realized that my suspension was shit lol (spacer lift front and rear) so the next step will be replacing my suspension. I've inquired around a couple of shops local to me and welding in a new subframe will just be too much of a hassle so I've decided to go with Rough Country's Vertex shocks front and rear paired with OME Dakar Heavy Duty leaf pack with AAL in the rear to replace the oem leaf pack and spacers. Hopefully with the replacement of the suspension everything will ride MUCH smoother than it is right now(it's like a god damn rollercoaster up in this mfer).

welcome aboard. Got to love that NorCal coast.

Looks like you’re enjoying getting away from the stance life lol. These trucks are addicting to modify 🙃. As far as your suspension though, I wouldn’t even bother with the rough country stuff. Buy once cry once and get kings, fox, icon, locked offroad, or elka. Might be a couple other solid brands out there that I can’t remember but get a good set of shocks and get them tuned for your truck and driving style and you can’t go wrong. And I would personally go with deaver or archive garage for springs. Again this is all my opinion and you should still do what you want with your truck. As long as you’re happy, that’s all that matters with these builds 🤘

Welcome! I came from lowered cars too, it's been a welcomed change for me. Looks like its treating you well!

Definitely agree with @mgmyota on the other brands. I ended up with a used set of Toytec coilovers and my Jeep buddy with a RC lift was blown away. As Chris stated the "buy once, cry once" saying stands true!

@NEO Motorsport Garage , @Derek_Rogueoffroad or any other vendor for that matter should have the goods you are looking for!

Looks like you’re enjoying getting away from the stance life lol. These trucks are addicting to modify 🙃. As far as your suspension though, I wouldn’t even bother with the rough country stuff. Buy once cry once and get kings, fox, icon, locked offroad, or elka. Might be a couple other solid brands out there that I can’t remember but get a good set of shocks and get them tuned for your truck and driving style and you can’t go wrong. And I would personally go with deaver or archive garage for springs. Again this is all my opinion and you should still do what you want with your truck. As long as you’re happy, that’s all that matters with these builds 🤘
I've looked into the other suspension for awhile but we're looking at 8+ months wait time for Kings :( for the drop brackets they need to be made to order at custom lengths. Also on the chance that something does go wrong I can get replacement parts within a couple of business days. Trust me I've thought long and hard about it but since the rest of the lift is already RC I might as well ride it out. I'm not looking to do any heavy rock crawling with the truck, just want to have a smoother ride when I do mild off-roading and camping. Archive hangers will come in the future but for the meantime I'm just looking to tighten up the suspension as the shocks are blown LOL.

Welcome! I came from lowered cars too, it's been a welcomed change for me. Looks like its treating you well!

Definitely agree with @mgmyota on the other brands. I ended up with a used set of Toytec coilovers and my Jeep buddy with a RC lift was blown away. As Chris stated the "buy once, cry once" saying stands true!

@NEO Motorsport Garage , @Derek_Rogueoffroad or any other vendor for that matter should have the goods you are looking for!
Like I stated earlier, looking for a set of built to order shocks has been a pain in my ass. My shop and another local shop here in Northern California are dealers of said shocks along with a couple of other brands as well and they've been a big help but everything is on back order and I'm not really willing to wait 6+ months for custom shocks. I actually ordered my bushings for my OME leafs from Derek! Thank you!

Whoops, missed this thread. Welcome aboard. Love that front bumper! Definitely going to get something like that down the road.

Quick update:

Came across a new to me Waterport for a good deal. I've been looking at the smaller version but this Weekender came by at such a good price I couldn't pass up. I have a growing stack of parts in the garage as well including new taillights so I traded my tail lights to a buddy for a lobster roll and we took some pics while we were out there:ROFLMAO:

Back