• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

RTT on LEER cap

Rethy

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I’ve been toying around with the idea of putting a RTT on my 100xr shell but Leer doesn’t list the load capacity on their website. I scoured all the forums and every dark corner of the internet looking for this answer, but no luck. Finally I decided to email Leer and got a good answer so I thought I’d share.

“Here is the weight information that I have for you. Fiberglass can hold 150 lbs (mainly because of the THULE Roof Racks—that's what they're rated at. More cossbars = more weight). Commercial Fiberglass is 200 lbs. If and only if putting a tent on top, they can have 500 lbs evenly distributed (static weight).”

Call them with the serial number. I did that with my Snugtop and they were able to tell me. They're all different. And you want to pay attention to static and dynamic load rating. Mine for example has 500# dynamic. Even the 150# dynamic can hold more if it's a static load.

Car manufacturers won't tell you this for liability. But a topper is not a vehicle...

-M

One of the brands makes a topper with an internal frame that is rated for heavier loads, think it's ARE.

Another option is to add a roof rack that spans your cab and topper, which would further distribute the load. It'll also allow for a larger tent (4-person) over the whole truck instead of a small one just behind the bed.

I would suggest at the very least bed stiffners before you load the thing up. Also be prepared for cracking and extreme flexing if not rated for that load. Most are not designed for rooftop tents.

Back