• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Pre-Purchase Question RIPP Superchargers COIL PACKS

TacoMario

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2019 Pro DCSB Auto
White
Whats up everyone,
Wondering have any of you purchased RIPP Superchargers’ Coil Packs. If so, was there performance difference felt? They claim “to add an additional 20-30HP! This translates to better MPG, a more responsive throttle input and over all better driving experience when installed.” Price is 374.00 reg price but currently on sale and sold out.

Honestly I don't buy the 20-30hp claims. The coil packs on the Tacoma (and most modern cars) are pretty good. There is almost no way that the manufacturer just left 20-30hp on the table.

This was also recently stated by Mat from Orange Virus and he certainly sums it up better than I can.

"I don't want to buy them because guesswork sucks and I don't see any dwell data...or really any specs at all about them. Just that they are 40% more powerful than OEM.
How did they conclude they are 40% more powerful?
What is the "strength" of the stock coilpack?
How was it tested, at what voltage?

part of the description is improved throttle response and improved MPG and no tuning required.
The video above by PRP goes into great detail exactly why tuning is required.

For example my R32 GTR has R35 coil packs.
It will run perfectly with the R35 coils set at a 1ms dwell @ 13.5 volts.
You'd *never* know they were running inefficiently at that dwell, until you start pushing into higher power.
The actual dwell time required is closer to 5ms. 5x as much.
wrong dwell over time can damage coils.

The stock ECU coil dwell is between 2.3 and 1.4 ms depending on RPM and voltage, for the stock coils.
Do these coils work in that zone? I have no idea.

Maybe they created them to work and be at maximum efficiency within the stock coil dwell settings and the stock dwell produces the most optimal spark from them creating 40% more power. I have no idea. I am only looking at this from my experience tuning.

but then again I have to ask, what is "power." When talking about a coil.

In my opinion the "improved MPG" is a gimmick statement because the variability of MPG is so wild that statement is impossible to prove false. I don't even advertise such a thing on my tunes.

All that said, they could truly be a great coil."

Here’s what I can say about them: truck drives different now than it did before. In a good way.

Worth the purchase imo.

Here’s what I can say about them: truck drives different now than it did before. In a good way.

Worth the purchase imo.

How so? What did you notice? I'm genuinely curious to know.

How so? What did you notice? I'm genuinely curious to know.

Copied from my build thread:

So after driving around a little more this morning; with the exception of the firmer shifts and optimized shift points, the upgraded coil packs and intake make it feel like I’m driving with ECT on. Especially off the line and during slow rolling accelerations.

RIPP claims an additional 20-30 hp and Injen claims up to 17 additional hp.

So does it feel like I’ve got an additional 37-47 horses? No, not that I can tell at least.

But I got the packs for $330 shipped and the intake for $327 shipped. I doubt the intake does much, if anything at all, however for $660 I’m happy. Hopefully the combo will really optimize power potential whenever I’m able to get OV tuned.

I reset my average mpg monitor so I’ll report back later with how that has or hasn’t improved. I’ll admit, I purchased the coil packs for their performance value, but I’m hoping to see gains of at least 3 mpg. Had my goal been improved has mileage, I would be disappointed with anything less than 3 mpg for the price.

And to piggy-back off of that; I have always planned on doing an OV tune. I think with tuning - the packs (and the intake) would optimize tuning potential, compliment each other even better and their benefits will truly shine. Think of them as a supporting mod if your goal is hp and ft. lbs.

The engine is only going to take as much air as it needs - therefore an aftermarket intake really can’t add power across the entire map. If it did, theoretically you’d throw a code. Same thing with the packs. Sure, the new RIPP packs are more capable - but without tuning their full potential will never be achieved.

I believe the improvements I’m seeing are due to the ease in which I’m able to get the throttle to respond. Do I believe the engine is getting more air than before? No, not without proper tuning. But I do believe the engine receives the air that it needs faster, and easier than before. Like air on demand. I have the same theory with the packs - are they adding power? Nah. Are they getting the job done faster, and with less stress on the entire system: yes.

So you’ve got air quicker and efficient spark which translates to better throttle response and MPG. With tuning, now you can add more air quicker, and be able to optimize that by delivering the spark needed to support the increased air fuel ratio’s.

So ive been running the RIPP Coils for 5 months now and heres my thoughts and experience.

Truck background:
33" K02's
OVTUNE 2.0 Premium
HPS Intake
Borla Exhaust
Truck weight: 6500lb's

First inital impressions left me impressed with the new coils when the truck was overtaking on the freeway, thats where i noticed the power the most was in high RPM's. All of this was measured on my calibrated "butt" dyno of course. Just recently I had a coil go bad on me...was entering the dunes and went to go up on a slight hill and the truck died into limp mode. Had a cylinder 4 misfire, thought it was a plug so I replaced the plug and same issue occured. Moved the coil over to another cylinder and read that cylinder had a misfire (misfires followed the coil swap)...was able to get my old coil installed and could drive again. contacted RIPP this weekend and they sounded reluctant that their product failed, but did send out a replacement coil right away (2 day shipping). Ill install that replacement coil tonight, but now ill carry all my old coils just in case (Dont trust their product anymore).

I feel like they do help in the high rpm range, are they worth $300? ... no

I thought of doing RIPP but I did the OVTUNE 92tune 1st and from there I noticeably gain mpg by 1.5 mpg get about 15/16mpg on 34s. Better acceleration, no more gear hunting. Paid $250. From there I didn’t proceed to do the RIPP packs

How’d you get OVTune for $250? I assume another member installed for you? I only ask because I’m looking to get it done myself and was undecided between getting it done for me vs buying it and doing it myself.

Sadly I see many guys flashing OVTune now and at the prices they charge I can pretty much guarantee they aren't paying OV for the licensing and software. The numbers just don't add up. So if it sounds to good to be true, they're likely undercutting OV.

So OV gets $125 out of the deal. Either double up or more. OV Flash are now old skool currently because it designed here in the US but the product is made outside of the country during covid. Now the flashes are now up to date by buying and using VFTUNER that OV had made. There are several guys I know who are doing these flashes between WA OR CA

I'm not sure where the $125 came from, but I can tell you it's incorrect. It's kind of a strange system that they have set up as there are two variations of charges based upon the ECU calibration ID that you're flashing for that particular vehicle. But knowing what I know about the way that they're flashing program is set up the number $125 doesn't really add up. Which is why I say that when I see people charging low amounts for the tune I can tell that they're not paying OV.

And that's the thing. There's a bunch of bad info going around. Mostly from people who are supposedly "hooking people up," but at the same time they are short changing OV.
Nobody is short changing OVTune. The VF tuner uses credits to unlock ECUs. It comes with 5 credits. It costs 4 to unlock your ecu and is $75 for 4 credits to unlock an additional ecu (with discounts for bulk purchases).

Nobody is short changing OVTune. The VF tuner uses credits to unlock ECUs. It comes with 5 credits. It costs 4 to unlock your ecu and is $75 for 4 credits to unlock an additional ecu (with discounts for bulk purchases).

Tune packs. Many people are obviously not buying the tune packs. You are required to own every tune pack corresponding to an ecu code you flash.

when something thats actually nice for our tacomas people come out and screw it up you would think ov tune would put some type of lock for only your ecu do i have ov tune no do i want it yes but im a honest abe and i cant see screwing a tuner out of their money when they have spent many hours perfecting the program well and users have helped ov tune with their complaints . Im in a toss up with RIPP coil packs they do their own dyno video show you results I research here and you tube and there is a decent amount of good feedback. Now for common sense I will be carring my stock coil packs somewhere in the truck just so i have a piece of mind best place be under the rear seat. I keep my old serp belt in there and the stock halogen lights in there there will be room for 6 coil packs. RIPP does warranty their product so we will see at 110,000 this truck could use a lil more pep i am a lil excited but not too excited got the RIPP coil packs for $333 today

havent been on here in a longtime need to put new picture of my truck up

I’ve heard good things about the RIPP coils. But I wonder if it’s a placebo effect deal.

when something thats actually nice for our tacomas people come out and screw it up you would think ov tune would put some type of lock for only your ecu do i have ov tune no do i want it yes but im a honest abe and i cant see screwing a tuner out of their money when they have spent many hours perfecting the program well and users have helped ov tune with their complaints . Im in a toss up with RIPP coil packs they do their own dyno video show you results I research here and you tube and there is a decent amount of good feedback. Now for common sense I will be carring my stock coil packs somewhere in the truck just so i have a piece of mind best place be under the rear seat. I keep my old serp belt in there and the stock halogen lights in there there will be room for 6 coil packs. RIPP does warranty their product so we will see at 110,000 this truck could use a lil more pep i am a lil excited but not too excited got the RIPP coil packs for $333 today
ralph wiggum grammar GIF

I had a horrible experience with RIPP and their coil packs...I tried them for 5-6 months, they dont really do anything. You may notice it on the top-end rpm spectrum but its minimal at best. About 4 months in I had a RIPP coil pack actually go bad on me as I was off-roading and it left me stranded since the truck couldn't accelerate or go past 5mph because limp mode. Was lucky to get one of my old coil packs delivered and I was all fixed...contacted RIPP the next day and they basically were not convinced their product went bad and refused to believe I was having issues, they reluctantly sent me a new one to replace it but what crappy customer service.

Once I put the OEM coils back in for 2-3months after I used the RIPP coils, it was night and day how much smoother the truck runs with the OEM coils. Theres no rough idle like there was with the RIPP, and acceleration feels a lot smoother.

My own opinion...your $333 is better served elsewhere on the truck

I had a horrible experience with RIPP and their coil packs...I tried them for 5-6 months, they dont really do anything. You may notice it on the top-end rpm spectrum but its minimal at best. About 4 months in I had a RIPP coil pack actually go bad on me as I was off-roading and it left me stranded since the truck couldn't accelerate or go past 5mph because limp mode. Was lucky to get one of my old coil packs delivered and I was all fixed...contacted RIPP the next day and they basically were not convinced their product went bad and refused to believe I was having issues, they reluctantly sent me a new one to replace it but what crappy customer service.

Once I put the OEM coils back in for 2-3months after I used the RIPP coils, it was night and day how much smoother the truck runs with the OEM coils. Theres no rough idle like there was with the RIPP, and acceleration feels a lot smoother.

Jeremy,

We are rather perplexed by these comments. Below we've attached the email conversation so that forum users can form an opinion on the matter themselves

That said we addressed your questions and concerns up front. You asked, "I was curious if you’ve had any other issues with the new coil packs...", to which we responded with, "We've had zero issues with failed coils/misfires with Toyota coils so far.". Furthermore we immediately offered a replacement unit to be sent out to you asap. We also covered the return of the suspected failed unit so that we could test it. Refusal and reluctancy are not values we use when dealing with the concerns of a customer. In fact we take customer service so seriously your (customer) calls are often picked up by our CEO. Imagine calling any global brand and the CEO picks up the phone? How shocked would you be?

Overall we are sorry to hear you had such a horrible time with our product and customer service. Since it looks like you have removed the RIPP Performance Coil Packs from your vehicle, let us know if you'd like to return them. We are sure our customer service representatives would be more than happy to assist you in doing so.

If not then perhaps we can provide you with better customer service some time in the future.

Best wishes,
RIPP Superchargers

On 10/24/2020 8:09 PM, Jeremy -------- wrote:

> Good evening RIPP team!

>

> Just wanted to get in touch with you. I purchased one of your brand new RIPP coil packs for my 2017 Tacoma (about 4 months ago, will need to look up order through your website to confirm date). Today I took my Tacoma off-roading on the dunes and immediately the truck had a misfire on cylinder 4 and was put into limp mode, we figured out that one of the new RIPP coil packs was bad. I was curious if you’ve had any other issues with the new coil packs, I love the product and felt it made a difference, but now it makes me question the reliability of the truck when I go off road. I’d love to start a dialogue with you to discuss if there’s any way to remedy the coils before I pull them and re-install the OEM ones.

>

> Looking forward to hearing back from you!

> Thanks,

> - Jeremy ------

> --------

>

On Oct 27, 2020 at 3:02 PM, <RIPP Superchargers Main> wrote:

Jeremy,

We've had zero issues with failed coils/misfires with Toyota coils so far. I can send out a replacement asap with an RMA label for the

suspected failed unit so that we can test it. What is your original

order number?

Eric S

RIPP Superchargers

718-815-1313

www.rippmods.com

On 10/27/2020 3:48 PM, Jeremy--------- wrote:

Order# -----

I’ve talked to a few others who own a Tacoma and have the RIPP coils and they don’t have issues, I’m not sure if I’m the only one so far.

Here’s the steps I took to diagnose:

I had a misfire in cylinder 4 and truck went into limp mode and couldn’t rev past 2K rpm and go faster than 5mph. Stopped the truck and suspected a bad spark plug. Replaced the spark plug, turned on truck and same issue, a misfire in cylinder 4. We then decided it might be a coil and cleared the codes on the truck, swapped cylinder 4 coil with cylinder 1 coil. Turned the truck on and it read that I was having a misfire in cylinder 1 now (as suspected for a bad coil). I replaced the bad RIPP coil with one of my OEM coils and the truck fired up right away with no codes and no misfires.

On Oct 27, 2020 at 4:52 PM, <RIPP Superchargers Main> wrote:

I am going to have a new coil pack mailed out to you tomorrow and an RMA label in the box for the failed units.

Eric S

RIPP Superchargers

718-815-1313

www.rippmods.com

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 4:55 PM Jeremy------- <jeremy---------com> wrote:

Sounds great!

I would like to be updated with why/what went wrong with the coil if that’s something your able to do. Please let me know if that’s possible.

Thanks,

- Jeremy

On 11/13/2020 1:27 PM, Jeremy --------- wrote:

Good afternoon Eric.

I sent back my bad coil a few weeks ago and the new one is working great. Were you able to figure out what went wrong with the old one? Id love to know.

Thanks

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 1:57 PM RIPP Superchargers Main <rippmods@rippmods.com> wrote:

Jeremy,

When plugged into our bench tester the coil fired smooth. It has been sent back to the manufacturer for further testing.

Eric S

RIPP Superchargers

718-815-1313

www.rippmods.com

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 2:01 PM Jeremy-------- <jeremy---------com> wrote:

hmm...weird that it worked. When in the truck we swapped coils around and the misfire followed that one coil pack, maybe the manufacturer will find something different.

Thanks for the quick update!

Attachments

• Jeremy Toyota.png
    Jeremy Toyota.png
    385.2 KB · Views: 100
Jeremy,

We are rather perplexed by these comments. Below we've attached the email conversation so that forum users can form an opinion on the matter themselves

That said we addressed your questions and concerns up front. You asked, "I was curious if you’ve had any other issues with the new coil packs...", to which we responded with, "We've had zero issues with failed coils/misfires with Toyota coils so far.". Furthermore we immediately offered a replacement unit to be sent out to you asap. We also covered the return of the suspected failed unit so that we could test it. Refusal and reluctancy are not values we use when dealing with the concerns of a customer. In fact we take customer service so seriously your (customer) calls are often picked up by our CEO. Imagine calling any global brand and the CEO picks up the phone? How shocked would you be?

Overall we are sorry to hear you had such a horrible time with our product and customer service. Since it looks like you have removed the RIPP Performance Coil Packs from your vehicle, let us know if you'd like to return them. We are sure our customer service representatives would be more than happy to assist you in doing so.

If not then perhaps we can provide you with better customer service some time in the future.

Best wishes,
RIPP Superchargers

On 10/24/2020 8:09 PM, Jeremy -------- wrote:

> Good evening RIPP team!

>

> Just wanted to get in touch with you. I purchased one of your brand new RIPP coil packs for my 2017 Tacoma (about 4 months ago, will need to look up order through your website to confirm date). Today I took my Tacoma off-roading on the dunes and immediately the truck had a misfire on cylinder 4 and was put into limp mode, we figured out that one of the new RIPP coil packs was bad. I was curious if you’ve had any other issues with the new coil packs, I love the product and felt it made a difference, but now it makes me question the reliability of the truck when I go off road. I’d love to start a dialogue with you to discuss if there’s any way to remedy the coils before I pull them and re-install the OEM ones.

>

> Looking forward to hearing back from you!

> Thanks,

> - Jeremy ------

> --------

>

On Oct 27, 2020 at 3:02 PM, <RIPP Superchargers Main> wrote:

Jeremy,

We've had zero issues with failed coils/misfires with Toyota coils so far. I can send out a replacement asap with an RMA label for the

suspected failed unit so that we can test it. What is your original

order number?

Eric S

RIPP Superchargers

718-815-1313

www.rippmods.com

On 10/27/2020 3:48 PM, Jeremy--------- wrote:

Order# -----

I’ve talked to a few others who own a Tacoma and have the RIPP coils and they don’t have issues, I’m not sure if I’m the only one so far.

Here’s the steps I took to diagnose:

I had a misfire in cylinder 4 and truck went into limp mode and couldn’t rev past 2K rpm and go faster than 5mph. Stopped the truck and suspected a bad spark plug. Replaced the spark plug, turned on truck and same issue, a misfire in cylinder 4. We then decided it might be a coil and cleared the codes on the truck, swapped cylinder 4 coil with cylinder 1 coil. Turned the truck on and it read that I was having a misfire in cylinder 1 now (as suspected for a bad coil). I replaced the bad RIPP coil with one of my OEM coils and the truck fired up right away with no codes and no misfires.

On Oct 27, 2020 at 4:52 PM, <RIPP Superchargers Main> wrote:

I am going to have a new coil pack mailed out to you tomorrow and an RMA label in the box for the failed units.

Eric S

RIPP Superchargers

718-815-1313

www.rippmods.com

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 4:55 PM Jeremy------- <jeremy---------com> wrote:

Sounds great!

I would like to be updated with why/what went wrong with the coil if that’s something your able to do. Please let me know if that’s possible.

Thanks,

- Jeremy

On 11/13/2020 1:27 PM, Jeremy --------- wrote:

Good afternoon Eric.

I sent back my bad coil a few weeks ago and the new one is working great. Were you able to figure out what went wrong with the old one? Id love to know.

Thanks

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 1:57 PM RIPP Superchargers Main <rippmods@rippmods.com> wrote:

Jeremy,

When plugged into our bench tester the coil fired smooth. It has been sent back to the manufacturer for further testing.

Eric S

RIPP Superchargers

718-815-1313

www.rippmods.com

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 2:01 PM Jeremy-------- <jeremy---------com> wrote:

hmm...weird that it worked. When in the truck we swapped coils around and the misfire followed that one coil pack, maybe the manufacturer will find something different.

Thanks for the quick update!
Yeah they worked great up until they didnt, which left me stranded on the dunes for a couple hours until we could source ones to replace. And whatever "power gains" I did feel I am convinced that is was more of a placebo affect than real since I have no physical way to prove that the truck was actually gaining power from the coil packs. And now that I put my OEM coils back in for a few months it is a night and day difference how much better the truck runs without them.

When I called customer service I was met with rudeness and an attitude of "couldn't have been our product that failed, not our problem", which then led me to that email chain. But how I was conversed with on the phone turned me off from any type of positive review of the coil packs. I run my own company as well so I was shocked on how the situation was handled on the phone. I have no reason to lie about how I was met with on the phone, and I have nothing to gain from it. The email chain was handled better and proper, but the phone call was not. Maybe you can give me another call sometime and we can chat about this, im open to having continued conversation.

Yeah they worked great up until they didnt, which left me stranded on the dunes for a couple hours until we could source ones to replace. And whatever "power gains" I did feel I am convinced that is was more of a placebo affect than real since I have no physical way to prove that the truck was actually gaining power from the coil packs. And now that I put my OEM coils back in for a few months it is a night and day difference how much better the truck runs without them.

When I called customer service I was met with rudeness and an attitude of "couldn't have been our product that failed, not our problem", which then led me to that email chain. But how I was conversed with on the phone turned me off from any type of positive review of the coil packs. I run my own company as well so I was shocked on how the situation was handled on the phone. I have no reason to lie about how I was met with on the phone, and I have nothing to gain from it. The email chain was handled better and proper, but the phone call was not. Maybe you can give me another call sometime and we can chat about this, im open to having continued conversation.

While you may not have had a physical way to prove that the truck was actually gaining power, we did. And still do. That's why the dyno video exists. After 26 years we don't care to put out gimmick products for profit. We put out performance products for power.

718-815-1313 or sales@rippmods.com if you wish to return the product. We'll have a word with our customer representatives agents regarding the conversation.

Last edited:

Jeremy
I noticed that you used a different flavor of spark plugs with the Ripp Coils. I was wondering if stock spark plugs would have worked better? I emailed Ripp Coils about upgraded plugs with the Coils, they said they only used stock. Just wondering if you think that had any part to play in the failure?

I picked up a set of Ripp Coils and Bosch spark plugs to put on this weekend. Now after reading this i'm wondering if i should snag a set of stock plugs instead. Any thoughts guys?

Back