• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Maintenance Revving at idle

haas.evan

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Website
www.evanhaasphotography.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Inferno
Lately its been about -30F in Montana. When I'm idling, slowly moving in traffic, or completely stopped my truck will start to rev up to 1500 rpms and immediately drop back down to normal. If I'm moving the truck will lurch forward a bit then go back to normal. When I start moving at anything above 5mph it feels normal again and there is no spiking of the rpms or speed. I'm about to take it into the shop and have every fluid I can think of replaced (its about time anyway). Curious if anyone has experienced this, attributes it to the cold, or thinks I might have a bigger problem?

The coldest temps I see a year are around 55 but my guess the truck is trying to keep warm.

Upvote 0
There are also voltage changes when temperatures drop, and higher rpms increase the alternator output. I suspect it doesn't have to do with engine temp at all (hence the need for cooling systems), but rather with the electrical system. I don't think there is a way to see voltage on your dash (just checked), but my previous JL did, and low temps would drop the volts below 12 (down from the usual 14.5) pretty consistently.

Upvote 0
Back