• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Replacement Halogen ulbs for 2022 SR5?

FL_Airgunner

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2022 SR5 DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
I'd like to replace the high, low and fogs with something that has a brighter, whiter light than the OEM bulbs, but don't want to go to LEDs because of the obvious issues with focus, flicker, etc. Searching Amazon brings up all sorts of LEDs, but I can't seem to find one brand of Halogen bulbs that offer the H9, H11 and H16 bulbs in the same color/brand/type! I'd like to get something similar to the Sylvania SilverStars in an H9, H11 and H16, but it doesn't appear I can get them all of the same type. I can find SylviaStar Ultras in H9 and H11, but not H16. I can find the XrtaVision in H11 and H16, but not H9! I'd like all the bulbs to be uniform in color. Anyone know of a brand of halogen bulb in the 5000K to 6000K range that are available in all 3 sizes?

Silverstars burn out extremely quickly. Not worth the cost for how quickly they die (something like 50 hours - usually well under a year). Leds work fine so long as you don't buy cheap ones, but the projectors in this truck are pretty much garbage with any type of upgrade. The consensus on the other forum is to swap out the H11 stock size bulbs for H9's. This bulb size swap itself is a pretty decent upgrade in both lows and fogs. The Hella V2's are a nicer color than stock for replacement. H16 is basically the lower wattage version of an H11, so anything you can fit an H16 in should be able to take an H11 or H9 without much trouble.

That said I have some very lightly used Morimoto XB fogs for sale if you're looking for a big upgrade over the stock halogens. Shipping - drizzoh's 3g parts for sale thread (https://tacoma3g.com/threads/drizzohs-3g-parts-for-sale-thread.13474/)

Upvote 0
I found the Hella HP2's in H9 and H11, but couldn't find them in H16. I don't want the fogs to be too bright to where they will blind on-coming drivers. If the H11's are used to replace the H16's can the lights be adjusted downward if they are angled too high and blind on-coming traffic? Are H11's a direct replacement for the H16's? Meaning, do they fit the light housing with no modification and are the the plugs the same? Also, since the H11's are a higher wattage, will the OEM wiring harness for the fogs handle the addational wattage? Thanks for all the help.

Upvote 0
They should be pnp. The connectors and bulb design are the same. Worst case is you will have to shave down a tab a mm or 2 on the H9's themselves. I'd do H9's all around if I were in your position, that's a very small amount of (possible) modification needed for the upgrade you will get.

The only way halogen bulbs are going to blind anyone are if they are adjusted incorrectly. All the factory lighting alignment is adjustable. The optics on this truck suck, you don't need to be worried about blinding anyone with them lol.

I changed both my headlights and fog lights out for significantly upgraded aftermarket options, so I haven't physically done what I'm advising you to do on this truck, but I have been modifying and retrofitting headlights for 15+ years. You should be fine and at most the new bulbs will require a very minimal amount of trimming - it depends on the housing. H9's get my vote though if you want a cheap upgrade, else do a full retrofit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
H9/H11 is the same base type as a H16. Sometimes you have to file the locking nubs or remove tabs. Just grab some H11 bulbs. I don't think Halogens can even blind people anymore. Lol. The thing is if people want brighter they dump the Halogen bulbs, then once they go LED or HID, they don't worry about how much the factory wiring can handle. Sylvania actually recommends H11's for the factory fogs. They wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't safe.
If you are dead set on halogen, I'd just go the SilverStar route. From my personal experience I can also agree they don't last as long. But are fine. Always just have a spare.

I would definitely consider Morimoto or even XenonDepot LED's. Really no issues with focus and flicker. If you're throwing them in factory housings, you're not really going for sharp cut off lines. Flickering is often a bad connection or a dying bulb. Longevity of a LED is much longer than a Halogen, so that's just a chance risk. Same chance of failure with Halogens. If that happens, the bulb needs to be replaced anyway.

Fogs can't be aligned because of the mount they are on. They hook in and then are held in with screws. I have the BD Squadrons for fogs. They are always on and I never get high beamed. It's always some of those new cars with the full LED's housings that don't get aligned before sale that are blinding people.

Upvote 0
Fogs can't be aligned because of the mount they are on. They hook in and then are held in with screws. I have the BD Squadrons for fogs. They are always on and I never get high beamed. It's always some of those new cars with the full LED's housings that don't get aligned before sale that are blinding people.
The factory fogs are absolutely adjustable, as are most other Type B fog replacements.

The squadrons look like they are adjustable, just not via the conventional method. Looks like you can aim them if you loosen the side mounting points and tilt to adjust, then retighten. That's how my projector fogs are on my tC.

Upvote 0
The factory fogs are absolutely adjustable, as are most other Type B fog replacements.

The squadrons look like they are adjustable, just not via the conventional method. Looks like you can aim them if you loosen the side mounting points and tilt to adjust, then retighten. That's how my projector fogs are on my tC.
I'm gonna go look when I get home. Mine only had the 2 tabs and the 2 screw holes on the other side. The Squadrons have a little adjustability. But don't think there's enough to make a difference up and down.

Upvote 0
Have you considered HID's? When I first got my truck I replaced the hem halogens (I think it's a crime that new cars still have halogens) with Diode Dynamics LED's. I wasn't too impressed. They were bright and white. To me they washed out too easily under streetlights and in the rain on dark roads. I contacted them and they swapped them for one of their HID kits.

From what I've learned the HID's have a closer wavelength to sunlight than LED so they cut through adverse conditions a bit better. Maybe another part is I've been driving behind HID's for almost 20 years, I dunno.

That's just what I've experienced, maybe it'll help, maybe not, maybe a little!

Upvote 0
I guess the factory fogs still have the adjustment dial.

But speaking of HID's....

:)

Upvote 0
I've been running Auxito for the year and a half I've owned my Yoda, no complaints whatsoever. However, I do want those Alpharex headlights and taillights some dday..

Upvote 0
Back