• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Rear passenger tire locks up?

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
2019 Tacoma TRD LB. …11,000 miles…. 2.5 inch lift ,32 BFG’s. Started after lifted …. Did get water damages to the 3rd member ( was replaced)..added new ARB air vent , route to tail light..

3 times to Toyota dealer..mechanic thinks 4x4 system is binding? Loosen e-brake cable … gas mileage drop to 12 mpg ..was getting 15 before this problem..

The problem , When in 4H or 4L ..from park to drive ..I be moving …all of a sudden..the passenger rear tire brakes locks..to free this problem , I put in reverse gear..move a feet or so..them frees it self…on a farm dirt roads..use to happen only on turns ..now evening going straight…dirt roads…in 4-wheel drive ..happen two times today.

Why would only the rear passenger tire brakes lock as I am driving…when 4 wheel is engaged? So never in 2wheel drive?

Could it be a faulty e-brake cable? Computer gitch? Maybe - (Connected to crawl control). I use crawl control once , when coming downhill…wet dirt road..i wanted to test the system…...but this problem started to happen more often then I think?

Also as I move forward. Maybe one tire slips..then “boom”..rear tire brakes locks…reverse to free…. Some days works OK..very annoying!

HELP! Toyota dealer, 3-times is unable to solve this problem. Maybe replacing the E-brake cables solve this?
I did mention my problem, here before. Maybe today someone may have this problem and a solution ?
Aloha

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had this problem as well. It actually happened to me going down pretty severe obstacle on a trail, and the rear wheel cylinder blew, and I had essentially no brake pressure afterwards.

I went thru the drums and adjusted the tension with the star wheel, and it seems to have helped considerably. I think with the added height of the lift and maybe some flex of the suspension the cables get bound up/stretched and just need to be adjusted. Mine hasn't done it in a while now.

If it does happen again, I would recommend having some smaller vice grips (x2) or some kind of clamps, this way you can pinch off the line in the event your wheel cylinder blows on a trail. Also a small bottle of extra fluid might help get you out of a pinch.

Thank you for your info… Toyota mechanic did back off the brakes, now it does not grab as hard. But it will still lock up..now and then…plus why would the MPG go down…? I am thinking , some how the E- cable slowly starts to lock up , so when I am driving at higher speeds…it not tight enough to lock.

The Dealer will not replace the E- cables…because they need to see the problem, hard to duplicate..because can happen anytime, yet does not always happen?

I am deciding to just pay the mechanic to replace the right rear E-cable…. If it works great. But if not? One must keep searching?

Hopefully others like you , will keep offering possible solutions…!
Aloha

Are your brake cables long enough? Many people have to install extended (longer) steel braided brake cables when they lift their vehicle.
Mine are close when the body flexes but I still have enough room.

No stock brake lines, I am getting new E- brakes cables install on Monday , May 16th 2022.
2.5 inch lift , I was told no need for longer brake cables?

If the issues continues? I will look into this longer S/S brake cables.
It happens on a sharp turn ( body does flexes) or right after a turn, can be muddy dirt/dry roads. And only in four wheel H or L.

Thank you it could be connected? Great suggestion!

So far only two people share a possible solution yours and the person who change/replace his E- cables.
My first step, Monday replace with new cables…
Step two? Maybe longer brake cables?
Third step? Sell / Trade/ or live with it? ( living with it , is annoying)
Aloha

Next time it happens try to video it with your phone, or have someone else help video. Might help to pull the drums off and just check everything out, or spray a can of brake clean in there to wash rinse it out? this happened to me on a trail and I blew a wheel cylinder. I know a buddy of mine (@valley_taco) had issues with his after crossing a water crossing. he used his ebrake over night and then in the morning same thing, lock up and then he also blew a wheel cylinder. Happened to him on the Rubicon.

I never had this issue until i did my shock relocation, and I think the cable stretches when flexing, causing it to bind up. Mine hasn't done it in a while now though, knock on wood. I feel like I got some relief from this issue after pulling the drum and replacing everything inside, springs, pads. and cleaned it out really good.

Also, I have +4 extended lines, stock e brake cables. I bent the brackets on the leaf springs to provide a better angle when flexing.

Last edited:
Thank you!
The Toyota dearler mechanic’s (3 X check brakes, drums,lube cables, ) test drive , 3rd time I test drive with the mechanic trying to cause the problem? , they loosen, re-check brakes. Could not find any problems.

I think I will record on a video when the next time it happens again, good suggestion. I should go outside and view the problem. Maybe I might find a cause?

My next step? Replacing longer rear brake cables.
What is recommended S/S brake cables or. R4T brake extension? I like the idea brakes cables have some stretch?
Aloha

May 16, just left the Toyota dealership. Got both e-cables replaced, parts plus labor $397.00.
They give a discount on parts and labor ( 3+ hours) .

Now to drive it everyday to see if it solve the problem or not?

Next step replace both factory rear brake cables with the Camburg S/S Rear brake line kit. $189.00.
Aloha

Today is May 20, 2022 . The rear passenger brakes lock up on a slow right turn (dirt road).
I did not need to reverse, just push the gas ,it free itself. This was different, before I needed to reverse.
I am still having problem.
I think it maybe connect to computer anti slip? But mechanic said computer does not control the brakes?
Annoying for sure only in 4wheel H and L.
Gas mileage did I in prove maybe one more mpg? After replacing e-brakes.
Aloha,

May 21, 2022 . Happen three times today. Driving on a wet dirt road. In 4H . Happens when I make a slow right turn, I can feel the tpassenger tire spin, then the passenger side tires lock up, reverse to free. I drove a few feet forward, passenger tire slip on the muddy road, passenger tire lock up again. 3time over all.
I did replaced the Ebrake cable hoping it would solve the problem. Nope!

Toyota mechanic says computer does not control the brakes? What controls the anti-slip? I did turn it off , but brakes lock again as passenger tire spins, and locks.

What happens if I drive thru sand?

Help? What is your thoughts on why brakes are locking?
Aloha

Next step see Toyota dealer again. And , Maybe I try replace with the longer brake lines in the rear.
Aloha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just seeing these now. Maybe it is having to do with the 4wd anti slip software. I have been lucky as mine hasn't done it in months now. Although I'm also offroading a lot less now.

I'm really not sure what the fix is. Potentially the longer e brake cables, but I'm running stock ones and have an archive shock relocation. Hate to see you keep throwing money at it with no resolution.

You mention, haven’t done in months? Did yours lock up too?
I replace the e-cables factory ones. Just last month. Never heard of longer e- brakes. ,they do make longer rear brake cables.
I did wash my truck a few days ago. I spray lots water under the truck, due to the muddy roads where lived. Next morning the brakes were lock, and squeaking. Put in reverse free it self.

Now I am wondering if the water is the cause? Toyota mechanic says just drive it. You be OK.

Thank you for your input. I am taking one step at a time, yes it is costing me. Next step longer rear brake lines. But rear brakes has lots of play. E- brakes seems to have some less play? Happen only on the rear passenger side.

Maybe I need to lift and see the drop on the both brake lines.?

Toyota mechanic says computer does not control the brakes?
Wait, hold on. Don't you have the off-road package? One look at the brake booster tells you the computer has control over it. That's what makes crawl control and some of the other traction control systems work, right?!

I think either myself or your mechanic are seriously confused about how these trucks work.

I believe you are correct. I do have crawl control. The head of the service department, she was very helpful. Even let me take the mechanic off roading to duplicate the situations. Could not .
She did contact Toyota main service center in America.
The Service center’s will not take this unless I get “code readings”;

Thank you for your feedback. One day I will find the cause!

I search on other forums , this is what I found.
Most Tacoma owners experience rear brakes locking up ( either the right rear or left rear)

Winter cold weather owners think was a cause. Reverse to free. No solutions.
After washing the truck and park over night , one of the rears brakes will lock. Reverse to free. No solutions found.

After reading the many others having the same problems. One Toyota notice, mention the a brake cable seal needs replacing, water leaks though the seal, this story is unconfirmed!

Some mention water gets into the E-cable freezing or rusting , cause ps the E-cables to lock. , solution mentions to put oil on the cable. They did that to mines and the problem still continues.

The head of Toyota Services may not have issue any bulletins. Or solutions. Apparently not enough calls reported. I am guessing just a few hundreds.

Any every brand of vehicles, after a car wash and park overnight , rear brakes locking “just happens” no solutions to fix, just reverse to free. Not enough for car dealers to get involved.
Happens to only a hand-ful of owners.

I being driving since 1968, never had or heard of this before. Till now..
Looks like gotta live with it. Not knowing when it will happen again a.

I have this problem too with my 2010. It seems to be triggered when I'm in low range but can then still happen again in 4H. I haven't had it happen in 2WD, but it's a real pain when I'm deep in the woods trying to haul out cordwood. Always passenger rear locks up. I had my mechanic try to figure it out, no joy. Hopefully someone has a solution!

I did replace my E-brake cable 2019 TRD, this seems to help. It never lock out since I replace the E-brakes , maybe two months now.
After a good washing , I spray lots of water under the fender wells . Next morning my rear passenger brakes were really lock up tight. Reverse to free (two times). (After e-cables we’re replaced).

Mechanic says Do not use hand brakes after washing. And / or drive around to heat the brakes to remove the moisture.

Note: it rains a lot , live on a dirt , muddy road.

A 2010 Tacoma does not have all the electronics like the 3rd Gens? Maybe replace the e-brake cables. As the first step. ( happens to me only in 4H or 4L too. ). Before I change my E-brakes cable.

Good luck!

Back