• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Rear disc conversion kit.

Remmen Brakes

remmenbrakes.com
Authorized Vendor
Reaction score
Hi all, as part of who we are, we want to hear more from our customers.

We've been hearing suggestions on rear disc conversion kit, tell us more about what you would like to see compare to other existing kits, is it rotor finishing? price? caliper colors?

Drop us a message here, PM us, or shoot us an email: sales@remmenbrakes.com

I installed/pieced together the kit from SOS. I really liked that the majority of the parts came from the 4runner. It makes things easy to replace, if needed. The only custom piece was the backing plate. They had changed their kit a little to utilize the OEM parking brake cable instead of the 4runner cable. Fundamentally, there's nothing wrong with what they did, but in order to make it happen, it involves a small piece on the cable barrel. I can just see it getting lost at some point. I also used their Sequoia master cylinder adapter. Again, nice using OEM parts. Couple of things that irritated me about it where the brake lines that they provided and the push rod. The kit is meant to be used on other models, so these two parts were "adjustable." They work, just not nicely. I ended up using braided lines off the master cylinder for the pretty and so I could mess with the push rod without having to bleed the brakes everytime.

My two biggest issues with the kit were the very horrible instructions (not just installation, but bleeding as well). I mean really bad. And the other issue was the cost of their complete kits. The reason I pieced everything together was because I ended up saving a few hundred dollars. Other than that, it's been working fine on my truck for over six months.

Thems my two pennies.

Hi Dave.

Thank you for the feedback, using OEM parts is always ideal in situation like this, and that's what we would aim to design the kit to utilize as many stock components as possible.

Great to see you guys are looking into this kind of a kit. My truck is quite heavy and anything to help it stop better is a huge advantage. I'd be interested if you came to market with a setup. I'm not so concerned with colored calipers as much as improved stopping and heat dissipation.

Hey guys, Sam here,

We've been asked few times on BBK's, and with looking into the rear disc conversion, would you guys be interested if we were to offer a front 4runner brake kit? the kit would consists of:

-2x new 4runner calipers
-2x 338mm 4runner rotors
-Set of our Rocky pads
-Brake lines, and OEM dust shield.

If so, at what price point would you guys like to see this kit to be sold at? I would need realistic feedback on this.

Cheers.

Not sure what's good price but they'll need 17 inch wheels or bigger.

Hey guys, Sam here,

We've been asked few times on BBK's, and with looking into the rear disc conversion, would you guys be interested if we were to offer a front 4runner brake kit? the kit would consists of:

-2x new 4runner calipers
-2x 338mm 4runner rotors
-Set of our Rocky pads

If so, at what price point would you guys like to see this kit to be sold at? I would need realistic feedback on this.

Cheers.

Hey guys, Sam here,

-2x new 4runner calipers
-2x 338mm 4runner rotors
-Set of our Rocky pads

Cheers.

My first questions would be is the 4Runner stuff a direct bolt over, and if so are they an improvement? Then if so are they compatible with the Tacoma master cylinder.

I love the idea of a better brake kit for the ?. That said it all has to balance and obviously be an improvement.

I'd expect a lot like this to easily be over a grand. Couple that with a rear disk conversion and easily double.

the Offroad m/c makes everything more of a pain from all that ive read

the Offroad m/c makes everything more of a pain from all that ive read

That's definitely my biggest concern. Bigger calipers and pad surface area doesn't necessarily equate to better performance if the MC and associated brake components don't jive well. I'm no expert so I'd be deferring to @Remmen Brakes to research and address these kinds of things. I'm sure they already are.

Hi guys, for the M/C concern, this part we will be doing the test if there's enough interest, ideally for Tacoma we want to use as many OEM components as possible to reduce any maintenance issues.

We will do a rough calculation to figure out how much it would be for the complete front brakes later today, and we will also look into the M/C concerns, ideally if you were to do a M/C upgrade or any part of it upgrade, then you can switch to rear disc conversion at a later date without any issue.

Hi guys, Sam here.

So I spent some time look into this, we can do it at slightly less price than market rate, BUT, the added benefit is relatively little when you compare the work required.

So, I do have a suggestion, what if we look into bbk that fits under 16" wheels? reason being is we also work on armored vehicle braking system, and we have Hilux version that can be adapted for Tacoma, the system we designed uses one piece rotor and 4 pistons caliper but larger pads, it is designed for vehicles up to 9500lbs and it's being tested to work with rear drum brakes.

Let me know what you guys think.

Hi guys, Sam here.

So I spent some time look into this, we can do it at slightly less price than market rate, BUT, the added benefit is relatively little when you compare the work required.

So, I do have a suggestion, what if we look into bbk that fits under 16" wheels? reason being is we also work on armored vehicle braking system, and we have Hilux version that can be adapted for Tacoma, the system we designed uses one piece rotor and 4 pistons caliper but larger pads, it is designed for vehicles up to 9500lbs and it's being tested to work with rear drum brakes.

Let me know what you guys think.

Sounds interesting. Do you guys have a link to the Hilux kit?

Hi Andy

I'll see what I can post up on information, as they are originally designed for armored vehicles, so we have to be careful of what we can share.

But the basic information is as follow:
328x35mm rotors (1pcs)
4 pistons calipers, these are cast steel units and zinc plated, they are larger compare to OE.
Larger brake pads.

This system is designed and rated for vehicles up to 9500lbs (Loaded) and rear OEM drums, no MC upgrade is required.

Hi Andy

I'll see what I can post up on information, as they are originally designed for armored vehicles, so we have to be careful of what we can share.

But the basic information is as follow:
328x35mm rotors (1pcs)
4 pistons calipers, these are cast steel units and zinc plated, they are larger compare to OE.
Larger brake pads.

This system is designed and rated for vehicles up to 9500lbs (Loaded) and rear OEM drums, no MC upgrade is required.

Wouldn't cause the truck to nose dive if nothing was done to the rear brakes?

Wouldn't cause the truck to nose dive if nothing was done to the rear brakes?

Hi Andrew.

If you are wondering if it will upset the bias, the answer is no, majority of vehicles will nose dive under braking, it's matter of weight transfer, this kit will offer some increase of performance in terms of braking, but it won't suddenly feel like you are driving a Porsche when under braking, what it will do however is by the time you hit the brake pedal full force the 20th time in a row, it will perform the same as the first time.

The biggest benefit of upgrade brake kit is often NOT the increase of brake force, because you can simply do that by say switch to a very very aggressive compound of brake pads, but what it does do is consistent performance.

This kit is design for consistent performance specifically under heavy load, as it was designed for armored Hilux, and ease of maintenance since some of those vehicles are stationed at places that are very very far from FOB.

Excellent explanation, that makes good sense. Thank you Remmen

Hi Andrew.

If you are wondering if it will upset the bias, the answer is no, majority of vehicles will nose dive under braking, it's matter of weight transfer, this kit will offer some increase of performance in terms of braking, but it won't suddenly feel like you are driving a Porsche when under braking, what it will do however is by the time you hit the brake pedal full force the 20th time in a row, it will perform the same as the first time.

The biggest benefit of upgrade brake kit is often NOT the increase of brake force, because you can simply do that by say switch to a very very aggressive compound of brake pads, but what it does do is consistent performance.

This kit is design for consistent performance specifically under heavy load, as it was designed for armored Hilux, and ease of maintenance since some of those vehicles are stationed at places that are very very far from FOB.
??

Hi guys, sorry for lack of updates, so we have been working on the brake systems some more, right now we are partnering up with Alcon for our security vehicles systems, and we will likely to do so with the new Tacoma/Hilux, it is in testing phase right now and final design, we are aim to have the system available by June.

that;s just around the corner ?
Hi guys, sorry for lack of updates, so we have been working on the brake systems some more, right now we are partnering up with Alcon for our security vehicles systems, and we will likely to do so with the new Tacoma/Hilux, it is in testing phase right now and final design, we are aim to have the system available by June.

Will be watching closely to see what you come up with as I’m 1000+ lbs over stock.

Pinging for updates. Not seeing anything new on the site.

Back