• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Real bad news..Water in the Rear diff…

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
Ok it started with my 2019 Tacoma TRD …rear brakes locking up while driving…had it tow to the Toyota dealer…. They work on the rear brakes …test drive and something was still wrong…

Turns out they found water in the rear diff…cause they said to me , it was because I had my truck lifted and did NOT RAISE the rear diff breather hose..? Um?
They say that is how water got in?
They are draining the rear end , won’t know till tomorrow….but mention I may need a completely new rear end!

Question to all of you with a lifted truck…is it necessary to extend the front & rear diffs vent valves? What happens to trucks that goes thru rivers , or reverse down launch boats? Or drive thru mud, or muddy puddles?

Any way, I am expecting the worst…( I will need a new rear diff). & be out a few thousand dollars… parts plus labor cost…

It all started with my rear brakes locking up…. I live on a coffee farm..rains a lot…I do drive in water/ muddy puddles…
The shop tech will let me know tomorrow….

Please should we ALL extend our diff breather valves? Is it necessary for any lifted trucks?
Aloha,

My '18 is stock and raised the rear to the left rear tail-light. Front should be already high enough for me!

I extended my rear diff. breather, but I'm not lifted. I find it odd that all the other breathers are at least the height of the cab floor so I did it for peace of mind. I don't plan to cross water that deep but you never know. The parts are cheap (1 and 2 + 5/16 fuel hose) so I didn't see a downside.

I believe the front diff. and transmission breathers are in the engine bay, and the transfer case is under the cab floor. So I decided to make raising the rear a priority. Sorry yours didn't make it. I guess since you'll be at the dealer already you can ask them about those two parts, at least.

Check out my build page (recovering jeep addict, in my signature below) for details on the installation.

And yes, if you do water crossings above a foot deep or so, you need a differential breather extension. The factory one sits just on top of the differential, so any water that deep or deeper will suck water into the differential when it goes from hot (driving) to cool (in the water).

Thank you….just to be on the safe side …every one should raise the rear end diff vent ….water crossing can be anywhere…a flooded street with broken main pipe, storms, ..

Guessing Toyota is saving cost from making the vent hoses being higher..not thinking it will improve its performance…another reason…Toyota is going backwards…

Please let your buddies know , about rear diff extension vent …
Aloha

My brakes had some rust..they remove it..and my brakes should be fine? Won’t know till I get my Tacoma back & tested for myself….No charge by dealer…good news..

Worst part I need a completely new 3rd member…cost is (estimated at $3,300.00 ) and not sure of axles inside? They cannot air freight the parts due to oils (consider hazmat). I am looking at 2-3 weeks …but due to shipping slow down, parts available? Maybe longer?

I just order a ARB diff vent..from R4T…$85.00 including shipping…watch R4T video on there install in the the brake light housing.. see & reseach the benefits of ARB diff vent..(has a filter too)..

My other mechanic mention I could have a crack or deformed axle! Not sure how good my seals are too…

Oh ..Did you know the new Ford Rangers ..there rear diff vent hose is place at the height of the tires on the frame….Why couldn’t Toyota make there truck more adaptable to off road conditions? Is Toyota going cheap…

No truck for a few weeks & out $3,300.00 ( estimate only). I will not be surprised if higher..?
Hawaii has a 4% tax…(estimated $132.00)

Everyone always want to improve there Tacoma’s for performance, off road capabilities, and our own customized Tacoma ….never ending….lol. Enjoy yours…thru the processing…
Aloha

I did get my truck back…cost $4,100…they said they cut the 3rd member price by $1,000 off?
Runs great…but my gas mileage drop to 12 mpg…? Do I need to break-in the gears in & maybe the drum brakes too tight? I notice go down this long hill my truck does not speed up like before?

Just order the ARB diff breather kit with filter…from R4T -$78.00 including shipping to Hawaii…got it with-in 5 days…ARB allows for pressurized situations…I will mount it in the driver side rear taillight housing..

Everyone should rise there diff vent higher…it is a one way valve, but anything can get struck in the valve and keep it open..flooded streets, heavy rainy conditions, washing under carriage…river crossing…muddy places…a diff air vent rise higher is a very cheap fix vs cost of damages to the rear end?..
Aloha

And alway after washing any vehicle…take it for a shot spin to dry out the moisture in the brakes…

Here we go again…Feb 2, 2022 my rear brakes are locking up again….I made appointment with Toyota dealer…about rear brakes locking up….and it seems like the rear brakes are NOT releasing all the way…my mileage went from 15 mpg, before this problem to under 12 mpg….and going downhills ..there seems to be a drag…does not speed up like before?
I learn there is two adjustments…one is for the hand brakes..and the other for rear brakes…

I believe it is my E- cable to the rear drum brakes is, locking up and not releasing all the way when free…I have to reverse to un-struck the lock ups…

Tuesday Feb 8, 2022 is my appointment…hope they can find the problem?
Aloha,

2nd time to Toyota dealer… My rear brakes was too, too tight, they loosen it up & lube some parts ,as I had 2 more times the brakes lock up…I can now feel the difference…I feel NO dragging…I hope this solves my brakes locking up problems…

The mechanic told me , every time you pull up the hand brakes…it triggers the self adjustment on the drum brakes…in time he mention my hands are a bit higher ,due to loosen up…but in time it will feel tighter..on the hand brakes..

Now you know the hand brakes..also self adjust the rear drum brakes…
Will we see rear disc brakes in the future?
Aloha

2nd time to Toyota dealer… My rear brakes was too, too tight, they loosen it up & lube some parts ,as I had 2 more times the brakes lock up…I can now feel the difference…I feel NO dragging…I hope this solves my brakes locking up problems…

The mechanic told me , every time you pull up the hand brakes…it triggers the self adjustment on the drum brakes…in time he mention my hands are a bit higher ,due to loosen up…but in time it will feel tighter..on the hand brakes..

Now you know the hand brakes..also self adjust the rear drum brakes…
Will we see rear disc brakes in the future?
Aloha
I went to disc brakes a few weeks ago and its been the best thing ever...the drum brakes on these trucks were a terrible idea

Hope you can get things figured out with your system! For reference for a disc kit: $1300 for the kit, $900-1500 for labor (depends on your dealer), $600 for new wheel bearings if you choose that route ($2800-3400)

Back