• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Rattle sound on 2019 TRD off-road

ryderwolf101

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
I don’t know where else to turn can one of you help me. I have a 2019 Tacoma TRD off road. I put the Eibac stage 2 lift up front with freedom off road UCA’s. Left it at 2.5” lift in front and have 2” block in the back. Sense then I’ve got this terrible intermittent rattle, sounds like exhaust. I thought it was skid plates so I took them off, wasn’t them. Then I searched all the heat shields on the truck. Not them. It only does it when I’m decelerating, at about 15mph it starts for a few seconds but it’s so loud it echos like crazy. Cruising through a parking lot and let off the gas it does it. There’s no way it’s the muffler or cats I would assume with only 60,000 miles? It sounds exactly like the skid plates rattling but they are off. What do I do? I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE TO DEALER

Attachments

• 8DA7C56B-AD37-410D-92F1-5056A9DB9335.jpeg
    8DA7C56B-AD37-410D-92F1-5056A9DB9335.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 227FB846-A0AF-4A17-BDC6-DB228DA8EC6E.jpeg
    227FB846-A0AF-4A17-BDC6-DB228DA8EC6E.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 83
These issues are always hard to diagnose without a video or without being there in person. Have you checked that all hardware for the suspension you installed is tight? Maybe jack the truck up and see if you find something loose without weight on the suspension. Heat shield would have been my guess. I would double check them. The tiniest damage on the shields can cause sound. Hope this helped even a little

Upvote 0
Try a rubber mallet. Old Jeep advice: check the price in a parts book, that lets you know how hard to hit. Then bang around underneath until you find the part rattling.

Have someone drive around with you in the bed, use your hands and ears to figure out what part of the truck it's coming from.

We've all been there, you'll figure it out.

Upvote 0
It's the body mounts under the radiator. They go bad and rattle.

Upvote 0
Almost impossible to diagnose without a video of the sound in that area, double check your hardware from your lift so that everything is tight. Have you grabbed your exhaust (while cool) and shaken it to see if you can replicate the sound?

Upvote 0
Are you 100% sure it's not the diff bearings? It's fairly common for the front diff needle bearing to go bad after a lift, but doesn't happen to everyone.

I was having a vibration sound from 10-40 mph, once I replaced with the ECGS bushing all my noises (and worries) went away. A good way to test this theory is:

Put the truck in 4wd
If the sound goes away, you've found the issue.

If not, could be the rad support bushings as @StormRnr stated.

Upvote 0
Back