• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Rack suggestions ?

Polish Import

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
Hey All

I really like

Uptop alpha or
Sherpa THE GRAND TETON

But open to suggestions and good advice. I want it to be compatible with LED bars. I will use it for bikes, kayaks and want to get into offroading so gear etc.

Thank You

i went with the Sherpa. I haven't gotten it yet but i think it's the best option.

They’re both good looking racks.

But you won’t beat the mounting design of the Prinsu. Precisely the reason I did not go for the Sherpa.

I went with Uptop overland, alpha, getting painted cement to match my wheels, cant wait till it comes in. Victory is going to get my bumper business.

Front Runner slimline 2.

They’re both good looking racks.

But you won’t beat the mounting design of the Prinsu. Precisely the reason I did not go for the Sherpa.
What's the details here? I actually prefer the way the Sherpa mounts in the channels, plus the different sizes available in the Sherpa Animas, but perhaps there's more to it.

I'm running Victory 4x4 cab and camper racks. Solid mounting to the roof and shell. I chose them over Prinsu because of the price (about $45 cheaper). I wanted Sherpa because of the logo, but I did not like the way the Sherpa mounts (it has 2 L-brackets instead of 1, why?!) and I was a little worried about adding points of failure. However, I think they were about the same price as the Victory racks.

What's the details here? I actually prefer the way the Sherpa mounts in the channels, plus the different sizes available in the Sherpa Animas, but perhaps there's more to it.
They both mount in the factory hole locations in the channels. It’s the mounting mechanism I don’t like with the Sherpa. The prinsu casts the mount on the side plates, whereas the Sherpa uses S brackets - pictured below.

0218509E-11C6-49F6-8833-2E433A831CA9.jpeg

They both mount in the factory hole locations in the channels. It’s the mounting mechanism I don’t like with the Sherpa. The prinsu casts the mount on the side plates, whereas the Sherpa uses S brackets - pictured below.

(y) appreciate the follow up, something to think about for sure!

I use basic Yakima towers and bars. I use various bike racks and rocket boxes. If you have a camper shell you can use the basic rails you'd mount any of the platform racks to and the old control towers if you can find them. Easy to remove, interchangeable between vehicles, simple, lockable, cheap.

-M

Victory 4x4 will have the strongest mounting design of all the roof rack options. Aluminum side rails but with their welded steel mounts that go directly into the oem roof mounting points.
This thread has me wondering what the rating is for the roof load. Does anyone know? My guess is that the racks are rated to hold more than the truck is rated to hold.

-M

They rate the factory rack for 75# or 150# and it looks like they don't actually publish a rating.

I have a Snugtop Sportsman package rated for 500# dynamic. So that's a little more clear. I have only mounted stuff to the topper so far.

-M

They rate the factory rack for 75# or 150# and it looks like they don't actually publish a rating.

I have a Snugtop Sportsman package rated for 500# dynamic. So that's a little more clear. I have only mounted stuff to the topper so far.

-M
Agreed that racks are definitely rated stronger than the roof mounting points themselves. The Hab complicates things with rack sizes and stuff, but because it's accessible from inside, it's a great place to store stuff for me.

Victory 4x4 will have the strongest mounting design of all the roof rack options. Aluminum side rails but with their welded steel mounts that go directly into the oem roof mounting points.
I do definitely like their racks.

@Victory4x4 feel like making a Habitat compatible version? :)

This thread has me wondering what the rating is for the roof load. Does anyone know? My guess is that the racks are rated to hold more than the truck is rated to hold.

-M
I think Toyota rates the factory rack at 150 or 165 lbs. The roof obviously holds more than that, because it's meant to hold up the truck in a rollover. Unfortunately, we don't have access to that engineering data. Also, know that the OEMs usually rate the roofs at a weight where it doesn't make the vehicle too unstable with that weight.

We don't put a weight limit on our racks for the above reasons, and we ask that the customers use their discretion when loading.

Yep, lots of ways to skin the cat.

We use steel mounts that bolt to the aluminum side rails so that rails carry the load of all the crossbars as a unit, and we aren't asking a crossbar (or 3) to carry the weight of the rack and accessories. Prinsu does something similar to us, but makes the mounting tab integral to the rack sides by bending it underneath and using a spacer between the cab and rack.

I like the way we do it because I feel like it adds a lot of strength, less chance for failure on bent over aluminum tabs, and some adjustability of the height of the whole rack.

I enjoy the adjustable height TRECK from Road Armor. It’s nice having 2 spare tires and the rack is just solid!!

Attachments

• 75CB7F67-95BA-46B5-8530-C5547D500649.jpeg
    75CB7F67-95BA-46B5-8530-C5547D500649.jpeg
    765.9 KB · Views: 76
I prefer sherpa for a few reasons, they use a 6000 series aluminum which is much stronger, aswell as the mounting pads for the roof dont require and silicone or sealant,
Im a dealer for them here in vegas and would be happy to help you out with any pricing and questions we also carry front runner, and uptop but sherpa is hard to beat i even run it on my 2nd gen

Back