• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Planning out my wheels/tires for a 2" OME lift

dunethetaco

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I've got a stock 2020 TRD OR DCLB that I'm planning on giving a ~2" lift with the Old Man Emu medium load kit.

Wheels
Once the lift is done, I'm looking at a set of 16"x8" Fifteen52 Turbomac HD Classics. It looks like I can choose a back spacing of 4.5" or 4.75". https://fifteen52.com/products/copy-of-turbomac-hd-classic?variant=14352907173954

Tires
For tires, I'm considering BFG KO2's or Falken Wildpeaks.
I know this question has been done to death, but I've seen discussions that these various sizes can fit without any rubbing:
275/75/R16 (32.2")
275/70/R16 (31.2")
265/75/R16 (31.6")
265/75/16 seemed to be the safest bet, although I'd prefer the extra height (.6") of the 275/75/R16 if that would work.

Questions
What backspacing should I choose between 4.5" or 4.75"? How will that affect rubbing and tire size?
Knowing the backspacing of the wheels, what tire size should I go with? I'd consider myself a weekend warrior, driving mostly easy forest service roads, but definitely have spots where I have to do some rock crawling. If this is too difficult to guess at over the internet, should I bring the wheels to Discount Tire and have them match and test in person?
I'm used to AWD cars where all the wheels need their treads matched and a full-size spare is required. Should I get a fifth wheel and tire, or is the stock wheel under the truck sufficient?

I have some OME products on my truck, however, mine is a 17, and your truck and model had a few upgrades to the stock suspension and height to where I don't feel that I could give you the answer you are looking for. I have 3-inch ready lift coil overs with Bilstein 6112's. and I am running Toyo's 285-70-17 with zero rubbing issues, but I am also not a rock crawler so build your lift to the type of 4- wheel ing you do the most

I'm going to assuming 4.5" is et0 on a 8" wheel.

I have 16x8et0 wheels + 1.25" wheel spacers.
I had to fold the pinch weld and do some trimming. If I had kept it 16x8et0 without the spacers it was very minimal.
4WP refused to mount the 265/75/16 on the 16x8et0 wheels + spacers. But they would if I removed the spacers.
5100/887 which is a 2" lift. Plus I had weight so I'd say it was even less. I don't think you have to worry about much.
If the suspension you go with is stiff enough to keep it around 2" you'll be fine with the 265/75/16. Might get slight baby rub on the fender liner at full turn + some compression.

Back