• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! Passenger Seat Shaking

Bessi3-taco

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Blazing Blue Pearl
Anyone figured out a fix for the passenger seat shaking at or over 75mph? I don't drive that fast often and when I do it bothers me till I'm able to ignore it.

I FIXED MY SHAKING PASSENGER SEAT!!!!!

After doing the rear seat delete, I mistakenly removed the towel I had wedged and the seat started shaking again. I about lost my $hit on a recent 3 hour drive.

So after messing with the seat, I believe I found the problem and have a fix - I am two days shake free! It appears to be a manufacturing/design issue. After sliding the seat to where you want it, grab one side of bottom and push it back and then forward, repeat on the other side if nothing happens. What should happen is a 'click' of one seat guide in the rail being set into position. Each seat rail has places for the seat to 'click' into place, however, because of design or manufacturing issues the detents where the seat sits in each rail don't seem to line up. So one side will be 'set', but the other side won't. This happens every-time the seat is moved forward or backwards, so you will have to repeat the process if you move your seat.

I'm curious if this will work for others.

Now the bigger question, should this be reported to NHSTA? I'm not an automotive engineer, but I am going to guess that in the event of an accident, you would want your seat fully locked in place, not just half-way, right?

Upvote 0
I FIXED MY SHAKING PASSENGER SEAT!!!!!

After doing the rear seat delete, I mistakenly removed the towel I had wedged and the seat started shaking again. I about lost my $hit on a recent 3 hour drive.

So after messing with the seat, I believe I found the problem and have a fix - I am two days shake free! It appears to be a manufacturing/design issue. After sliding the seat to where you want it, grab one side of bottom and push it back and then forward, repeat on the other side if nothing happens. What should happen is a 'click' of one seat guide in the rail being set into position. Each seat rail has places for the seat to 'click' into place, however, because of design or manufacturing issues the detents where the seat sits in each rail don't seem to line up. So one side will be 'set', but the other side won't. This happens every-time the seat is moved forward or backwards, so you will have to repeat the process if you move your seat.

I'm curious if this will work for others.

Now the bigger question, should this be reported to NHSTA? I'm not an automotive engineer, but I am going to guess that in the event of an accident, you would want your seat fully locked in place, not just half-way, right?
I'll try this out.

Upvote 0
Still have warranty left? If so I'd take it to Toyota and have them fix it.
I don't believe there are any adjustment points. A fix would require redesign and replacement of the seat base. That won't happen unless NHSTA steps in.

I'll try this out.
Mine took some force FYI.

Upvote 0
I'm glad I found this thread and it isn't just me! I have 2k on my truck and the passenger seat bouncing has been bothering me since the day I bought it. For longer trips, I wedge a coat or fold up a beanie between the seat and center console to stop the shake. Now if I can only figure out what the muted thud is coming from the right rear passenger seat every time I hit a pothole or bump in the road...

you might need to snug up your u-bolts. they don't torque them very tight at the factory.

Upvote 0
Back