• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Painting Aluminum Bed Bars

Overlandwannabe

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2021 TRD OR AC Auto
Magnetic Gray
Looking for some advice and tips. As this is my first real "mod" (i did install a bed rug) I just want to make sure it goes right.
I had some bare metal bed bars made and I am thinking of painting them flat black with Duplicolor bed liner. For prep I plan to sand with 180 and then 320 grit paper. Followed by gray NAPA self etching primer.
Am I missing anything? And any pro tips to make sure they look good.
Thanks in advance.

I'd let them sit outside for a little bit on a nice day. Warm-Hot. Sand it. Wash and dry. Dish soap in a bucket to degrease. Wipe it down with acetone/alcohol. Let it completely dry and reach a warmer than room temperature. Warmer is better. Can also set the cans outside. Sometimes if the garage is cool, they can be cool. Heat helps adhesion or whatever the word for paint sticking is.

I would set the plates that bolt to the frame on the ground. Prop it up. Nice even coats. Keep it even on all sides for even coverage.
Do thin coats.
Maintain the same angle and distance. Don't get too close or you get overspray and it'll run. Too far and it'll be a light coat and you'll just go over again.
Since it's tubular, you'll probably have to hit it from all different angles.
Follow the dry/second coat times on the can.
Don't do it on a windy day, it blows the paint unevenly away from the slider. Sometimes will carry grass and pollen onto the wet paint.

Ah good points. I figured about the wind and read about warming the cans. I am a little worried about keeping a good distance and angle so thanks for reminding me.

Ah good points. I figured about the wind and read about warming the cans. I am a little worried about keeping a good distance and angle so thanks for reminding me.

Just take your time. Keep it to light coats. Keep the can moving. Don't stay over it and start, that's where you'll get your overspray. Farther out and you'll have more room for error. I usually get impatient. Rush things. Hit it with the heat gun and spray again. Then paint from different distances and it's like multishade black camo.

Back